Thai PM to discuss visa-free travel, boost Indian tourism in Thailand

webfact

They don't want Bread n Butter tourists from Europe Spidermike they've made that obvious.

Last week we saw TAT trying to tap into the LGBT market this week it's the Indian market again. What next week? Thai Airways reviewing plans to fly from Moscow due to the expected high influx of Russian high-spenders. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This man desperately needs to either get better advisors, or start reading. India is already huge here. I was recently in Phuket, and 25% of the tourists were Indian. Not sure how many more they can attract. The rest were Chinese, Malaysians, Arabs and Russians. Very few Europeans, Americans, etc.

Glad I got Phuket out the way during the ‘glory’ years. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Glad I got Phuket out the way during the ‘glory’ years. ????

I found it quite pathetic, in terms of nightlife. It is still a gorgeous island, and the Andaman is very special. Deep water, incredible seafood, great diving, amazing weather and storms, etc. But, other than Bangla Road (which used to have bevys of gorgeous gals, and now is anemic and overpriced as usual), the action on Phuket is not even a pale shadow of it's former self. I never need to return. Much prefer Samui, in terms of the Southern islands.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Judging by the amount of Indian restaurants in Pattaya they must think they're all coming here! Been here 30 years and I've never seen so many Indian restaurants!

We have a few dotted around in Phuket the one nearest to us is very popular I have found lots of Thai's like it, my wife does, also here lots of Turkish restaurants 

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That's all we need more cheap charlies, 

We seem to always get statements like this when the subject is non-Western tourists.  China tourist spending in Thailand is always ridiculed and discounted.  Now India.  I'll use the same argument I use with the Chinese, who, incidentally, dropped over 531 billion baht in Thailand in 2019, the most, by far, of any country. 

Middle Eastern tourists spent the most in 2019, around 72,000 baht each.  Google tells me that Indian tourists that same year spent about 40,800 baht, on average, each.  Yes, individually, they don't spend as much.  But, there were just under 2 million tourists from India in 2019.  From the Middle East, less than 100,000.   So, once again, my same question, as with the Chinese.  Would you rather have 100,000 checks for 72,000 baht each sent to you or would you prefer 2 million checks for 40,800 baht each?

Easy to see why the new PM will be soon trekking off to India in search of tourists.    Of course, tourists from all economic strata are important, from budget to high rollers, to match the wide range of tourist accommodations. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In as much as many of would prefer not to see Indians or Chinese or even Ruskies, times have changed and a small fraction of those populations who have higher spending power are outnumbering westerners.

Pattaya is certainly an exception as most indians visiting appears to be short stays, only to party and return. growth in the number of india focussed nightvenues or those clubs on WS that only let in chinese, koreans or japs are thiving

Having said all this, the focus in the OP is about attracting wedding groups from india. I have seen some of these in Khao Lak, they splurge and couple of flight loads per wedding is great business for establishments in thailand. Not for the night venues, unfortunately. Can you imagine the income/day/person for these groups...

By all means let tourists enter visa free but take photos and fingerprints on entry so bad guys can get picked up right away (do link up criminal databases first!).

Do away with double pricing. Cinema tickets are equal priced for Thais and foreigners. So should national parks be. 

2 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

In as much as many of would prefer not to see Indians or Chinese or even Ruskies, times have changed and a small fraction of those populations who have higher spending power are outnumbering westerners.

Pattaya is certainly an exception as most indians visiting appears to be short stays, only to party and return. growth in the number of india focussed nightvenues or those clubs on WS that only let in chinese, koreans or japs are thiving

Having said all this, the focus in the OP is about attracting wedding groups from india. I have seen some of these in Khao Lak, they splurge and couple of flight loads per wedding is great business for establishments in thailand. Not for the night venues, unfortunately. Can you imagine the income/day/person for these groups...

Another place lots of Indian weddings is Mexico a friend of mine told me he has been there a couple of times, 

• Haha 1