How much alcohol is too much?

EVENKEEL

Is it OK to drink moderately everyday and what does moderately mean? Some say I have a couple glasses of wine with dinner, well depending on wine glass that could be almost a full bottle.

But for this discussion let's limit the alcohol to beer. Personally I don't like to drink before bed because even a few beers makes me sluggish the next morning. So, early afternoon I enjoy 3-4 small beers pretty much every day. I stopped for like a week and was missing it so I started back up.

I never go beyond 4 beers all day except for during Songkran parties.

Now, except for the calories I don't think 3-4 beers a day is hurtful, what say the tee totalers and experienced drinkers.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Is it OK to drink moderately everyday and what does moderately mean? Some say I have a couple glasses of wine with dinner, well depending on wine glass that could be almost a full bottle.

But for this discussion let's limit the alcohol to beer. Personally I don't like to drink before bed because even a few beers makes me sluggish the next morning. So, early afternoon I enjoy 3-4 small beers pretty much every day. I stopped for like a week and was missing it so I started back up.

I never go beyond 4 beers all day except for during Songkran parties.

Now, except for the calories I don't think 3-4 beers a day is hurtful, what say the tee totalers and experienced drinkers.

I'm not an addictive person, but drinking multiple times or days every week, I feel interrupt with my training, and I do not perform especially good.

A few bottles of wine a month is okay for me, and if going travelling for a holiday, a few beers every night or wine. Occasionally Gin tonic or a cognac. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

I never drink more than one big bottle of beer. Anything more than that is too much. Absolutely not more than two beer bottles.

Your 'never' & 'absolutely' don't stand up to your own scrutiny, so I'm saying; "Except when you have three...... or four or ten.

Edited by Yeah rightio

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

according to chatgpt, 2 standard glasses of red wine per day would be considered moderate drinking for a male.

They also said it could have benefits.

It's within the safe range of alcohol consumption, apparently.

What's a standard glass. How many per regular bottle

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

If you have to ask how much is too much chances are you are consuming too much?

Actually, any is too much.   That wee bit every day isn't harmful or told even good for you, has been debunked more than a few times.

I do enjoy a good beer or a Mojito once in a while, and that's a great while.  Maybe once a month, or 3 in 2 month period.

• Sad 1

Alfred Hitchcock is quoted as saying:  "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."

I'm going to paraphrase that with: 'The length (and quality) of my sleep is directly related to the endurance of my bladder'. 

Too much alcohol means too many trips to the bathroom at night and as I value my sleep, the booze has to be strictly limited. One large beer or one double whisky is all that I will allow myself nowadays and that must be imbibed by 6pm at the latest.

I'm sure that my health is benefiting from both the restricted alcohol intake and the improved sleep that I'm enjoying as a result.

• Thumbs Up 2

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, you have an alcohol problem.  If it's not, enjoy.

You're the only one who can answer whether it's causing problems.

Coming from one who took the oath in 1988 and haven't missed it at all.  (Except when I go dancing...  So I don't go dancing.  Life is so simple)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Alfred Hitchcock is quoted as saying:  "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."

I'm going to paraphrase that with: 'The length (and quality) of my sleep is directly related to the endurance of my bladder'. 

Too much alcohol means too many trips to the bathroom at night and as I value my sleep, the booze has to be strictly limited. One large beer or one double whisky is all that I will allow myself nowadays and that must be imbibed by 6pm at the latest.

I'm sure that my health is benefiting from both the restricted alcohol intake and the improved sleep that I'm enjoying as a result.

Wish I could do that with water, restrict drinking after 6pm.  Though I do manage 6 hrs sleep, and is about all I need.

When sipping, way back when, it seemed after a couple, it was then one in, one out, the rest of the night.   Hmm... something wrong with that.

Don't restrict drinking alcohol, as I just don't seem to want to any more.  Flip side, last week or so, I had a burger & beer for an early brekkie, and damn they both tasted good.

Out of beer now at the house, and TBH, can't see myself buying any more.    Took over six months to drink that last slab, and most of that got drank when nephew was at the house for a couple weeks.

Don't think I'll miss it.

Edited by KhunLA