Biden administration announces additional $325 million in military aid to Ukraine

Social Media

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Nah, those other countries you mentioned are all NATO members and covered by the NATO treaty. Ukraine is not. That is the biggest difference.  The "domino theory" does not apply.

That is a big difference, and I hope you're right, but I wouldn’t bet on it with the aggressor thinking he’s Peter the Great. Fresh off a victory in Ukraine after the US and EU grew tired of sending money, Putin might see some openings. The Suwałki Gap (a modern-day Danzig Corridor?) is 60 km wide; secure that and the Baltic States become vulnerable, and would the rest of NATO really come to their defense, with their civilian populations (read: voters) already tired of all this? Maybe this scenario sounds nuts, but it makes so much sense to just give the Ukrainians everything they need right now to end this thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Why not just set the money on fire? At least it would keep a homeless person warm for a couple of hours.

It is insane to keep throwing money at this conflict when there is no actual exit strategy. If the Europeans are so worried, let THEM foot the bill.

America wants the re-building rites... long term strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cory1848 said:

That is a big difference, and I hope you're right, but I wouldn’t bet on it with the aggressor thinking he’s Peter the Great. Fresh off a victory in Ukraine after the US and EU grew tired of sending money, Putin might see some openings. The Suwałki Gap (a modern-day Danzig Corridor?) is 60 km wide; secure that and the Baltic States become vulnerable, and would the rest of NATO really come to their defense, with their civilian populations (read: voters) already tired of all this? Maybe this scenario sounds nuts, but it makes so much sense to just give the Ukrainians everything they need right now to end this thing.

You might be right, which is why it was stupid to defend Ukraine as if it were a NATO-lite member in the first place. Waste of 100 billion plus dollars that could have been better spent elsewhere.  

Give Putin a stalemate in Ukraine that he can propagandize into a victory at home and stop the fighting is the best way forward. A smaller and wiser Ukraine is left.  At the same time, renew commitments to the Baltic States and preposition NATO forces from other member countries within their borders. 

And God forbid, perhaps Europe will finally start to take their own defence seriously and stop faffing about. It is not America's job to defend Europe if they can't be bothered to defend themselves. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Quite a short-sighted perspective. Should Putin succeed in taking Ukraine, do you really think he'll just take his tanks and go home, or push even further?

He will stop and he will bluster because he will come up to a hard border with NATO treaty nations.  He will have his victory, secure his legacy, and turn to domestic issues to cement his power base and future. 

But if a cease fire can be negotiated, it would not result in the elimination of the Ukraine so your hypothetical is moot.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, heybruce said:

It's curious that the anti-war posters save most or all of their condemnation for the defenders, not the aggressors.

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think they are anti-war against the aggressors, and in particular this specific aggressor.

They're Russians and various fascist extremists who want Russia to win so democracy loses..

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Absolutely. Sometimes I think the entire world should be allowed to vote in US elections, but I expect there would be some resistance to that ...

So the Russian interference in the US elections was legit then?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

So the Russian interference in the US elections was legit then?

Well, to the degree that high-level Russian leaders be allowed to cast legitimate ballots in US elections, along with all people of voting age in Sweden, Denmark, etc. But the original suggestion was obviously silly ...

8 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Well, to the degree that high-level Russian leaders be allowed to cast legitimate ballots in US elections, along with all people of voting age in Sweden, Denmark, etc. But the original suggestion was obviously silly ...

So I can’t even comment when I see Americans (i.e. Republicans) making stupid decisions that will affect my life as well? That’s what I meant when I said it’s everybody’s business.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Let’s say that is true, although I have my reservations, because Russia is still going to try very hard to create a bigger buffer between NATO and their own border. And if the West backs out of the war in Ukraine, it will still show other ‘evil states’ that the West is weak and not willing to defend their allies when push comes to shove. 

True, that is probably the purpose of the war.  I can understand Russian paranoia to an extent. I mean, NATO was created to counter the USSR and the Warsaw Pact. Once the Soviet Union fell and the Pact dissolved, the raison d'etre for NATO was diminished. Yet, NATO continued to expand even as Russia was weakened.  Now I am not saying that there is an evil plot for NATO to attack Russia, but from their point of view, given their history of being invaded, I can see how they took NATO expansion as aggression. 

So give Russia a chunk of Ukraine as a buffer zone. That would secure their western border more or less. In turn, get assurances of the future territorial integrity of Ukraine and a specific promise to not go after NATO countries. Offer assistance with economic development to lure Russia away from the Chinese sphere of influence.  Long term, it is the only way.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

It's curious that the anti-war posters save most or all of their condemnation for the defenders, not the aggressors.

I agree if you consider ethnic Russian people from Donbas and Lugansk as defenders since 2014...

Edited by Thorgal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

So I can’t even comment when I see Americans (i.e. Republicans) making stupid decisions that will affect my life as well? That’s what I meant when I said it’s everybody’s business.

No no, I meant that *my* suggestion that everyone around the world be allowed to cast actual ballots in US elections was a bit of a stretch (although a serious argument could be made for it!). Your comment that people around the world have a very big interest in the outcome of US elections is spot-on; I couldn't agree more.

• Thumbs Up 2