Walking on ice

BenStark

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems first priority in Thailand is that it looks nice. This shiny new floor.

And I guess it's easy to clean - at least when it's new.

I can walk in shopping centers, but I saw lots of building entrances with shiny slippery floor.

That seems to be normal in Thailand.

Yes the shopping centers seem to be better at that, especially in the common areas, but supermarkets or large hardware stores are a big problem for me.

The only footwear that works for me is if I wear gyms, which have very soft rubber soles, but everything else is a disaster.

Some 8 years ago I slipped and fell, breaking my leg my own front porch. My fault, I had bare foot and it had been raining.

I am now super aware of the dangers of slippery floors and I have to say I have never encountered the issue that the O/P is talking about. but I never drop my guard.

I haven't seen any savages around either @zzaa09.

Last yr in the rainy season I was leaving a light shop with steep steps going down. I slipped and nearly seriously injured myself. I told them to put anti slip tape. I was there 1 week ago and still the same. No one sues each other here. Therefore lack of awareness. Try that in the States...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Last yr in the rainy season I was leaving a light shop with steep steps going down. I slipped and nearly seriously injured myself. I told them to put anti slip tape. I was there 1 week ago and still the same. No one sues each other here. Therefore lack of awareness. Try that in the States...

Yes, you're right, this is not a litigious society and you really do have to watch out for yourself. They would probably argue that it was 'your own lack of awareness that caused you to fall. You should have noticed that the steps might be slippery'. 

As I said earlier, I'm super cautious when I'm out and about now, just as I am when I'm out on my motorcycle.

Most of the time I wear rubber soled deck shoes or loafers. I've never slipped or even felt at risk but, when we're out shopping, my daughter complains of electric shocks when she touches me.

Around here (Sattahip) there are plenty of shops where you need to take off your shoes before entering. In stockinged feet walk slowly and flat-footed or risk a fall.

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Thailand is the land of thinking as an option.  How many times did the idiot maid, guards, and some residents close all the windows in the condo during the height of COVID-19 and Delta?  When I asked them about the virus and fresh air they would always remind me that it "might" rain. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, BenStark said:

Regardless of which footwear, slippers or shoes, I have to tread very carefully, or my legs go from under me, and I slam on the floor.

You have my sympathy as I have had the same problem - those glazed tiles that are dangerous and slippery, especially when wet. I can vividly recall a bad fall after doing a "Torvill and Dean" on newly laid tiles on Nong Khai's Mekong Promenade whilst wearing UK walking shoes! Same here with malls and supermarkets in Siem Reap. I resolved the problem by wearing ordinary trainers.

For reference: a photo of Torvill and Dean - UK Ice skating Champions.

Snapped: Torvill & Dean relive the day they danced their way to enduring  glory - Olympic News

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The ones writing here that the tiles are never a problem for them are probably just not at the age where their balance is off, and they don't have pain in their legs which keeps one from being able to stabilize quickly on slippery tiles. It happens to me all the time at 75 years of age. I also despise seeing a grown man wearing flip-flops or sports shoes, and I like to dress up and wear a traditional dress shoe with socks which is an accident waiting to happen in Thailand on all the tile floors. 

Far more dangerous are the bathrooms in hotels where there are no safety bars, and the tiles are very slippery in showers and even worse in a bathtub. I never enter either without wearing shower shoes to give me a good gripping, and even then, it's still dangerous without the handrails. I would like to see statistics on how many people are injured, maimed and killed by slippery tiles and bathtubs in Thailand. The figures have to be astronomical, and nothing every changes and no improvements are every made to make it safer. It should be a priority with the Ministry of Health to make the public safe by having tighter restrictions in commercial buildings and homes.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

The ones writing here that the tiles are never a problem for them are probably just not at the age where their balance is off, and they don't have pain in their legs which keeps one from being able to stabilize quickly on slippery tiles. It happens to me all the time at 75 years of age. I also despise seeing a grown man wearing flip-flops or sports shoes, and I like to dress up and wear a traditional dress shoe with socks which is an accident waiting to happen in Thailand on all the tile floors. 

Far more dangerous are the bathrooms in hotels where there are no safety bars, and the tiles are very slippery in showers and even worse in a bathtub. I never enter either without wearing shower shoes to give me a good gripping, and even then, it's still dangerous without the handrails. I would like to see statistics on how many people are injured, maimed and killed by slippery tiles and bathtubs in Thailand. The figures have to be astronomical, and nothing every changes and no improvements are every made to make it safer. It should be a priority with the Ministry of Health to make the public safe by having tighter restrictions in commercial buildings and homes.  

If you are having problems at 75, think what it may be like if you make 80? At 82 I can still do a ten mile hike over rough country. If you do make 80 let me know, I would be interested to know how you cope.

The first time I spent a week in Thailand this year, I brought 2 pairs of sneakers.  I slipped and slid when the tiles were even slightly wet. The sneakers were worn concave at the heel and I was always walking on a cushion of water.  I had to walk flat footed and slowly so the heel didn't slide out from under me.

The 2nd-6th times, I brought a pair of sneakers and a pair of Decathlon waterproof hiking boots with knobby soles.  They're a PITA and too heavy for walking a lot, but they don't slide at all, even when it's wet.

23 hours ago, BenStark said:

I don't know if it is just me, and I also doubt it is, but when I enter a shop here it is as if I'm walking on ice.

Regardless of which footwear, slippers or shoes, I have to tread very carefully, or my legs go from under me, and I slam on the floor.

This is not just with one particular shop or mall, but actually 99% of them. I know even a hardware store in Sriracha where they built the entrance to the shop on a slope, and that was not accessible when it rained. They since have put anti-slip tape all over that sloping entrance.

Also, I was last month in Europe, and took the same shoes with me, but didn't have any issues there.

Are they really not smarter, or is it that they have no responsibility anyway if a customer breaks a leg?

I know if that happens in the Western world, the shop will be in it for some big money

Have you thought of taking up skating

3 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I also despise seeing a grown man wearing flip-flops or sports shoes, and I like to dress up and wear a traditional dress shoe with socks

At 75 years of age a fall and broken hip could ruin your life. You don't need to abandon your dress code, just find something smart with a grippy sole ...

image.jpeg.c262a3006044c1ce8275ba6f6f637012.jpeg

Dr Marten's brogues

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

At 75 years of age a fall and broken hip could ruin your life. You don't need to abandon your dress code, just find something smart with a grippy sole ...

image.jpeg.c262a3006044c1ce8275ba6f6f637012.jpeg

Dr Marten's brogues

Dr. Martins are not really non-slip, I wore their boots and Chelsea's for years....????

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems first priority in Thailand is that it looks nice. This shiny new floor.

I can walk in shopping centers, but I saw lots of building entrances with shiny slippery floor.

Did you used to drink in a "corner bar" opposite

Did you used to drink in a "corner bar" opposite Rhompo Market (circa 8 years ago)?

• Confused 1