Wage increase: Thai businesses wary of proposed 400 baht hike

webfact

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Profits are not for the workers.

And neither should they be

The Workers have made no Capita; Investments Etc into the Business's and take no Financial risks, or personal risk

They just have to turn up and do the job they are employed to do, and can clock off at shift end

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Much empirical evidence suggests that wage increases do not lead to inflation. "Do Higher Wages Cause Inflation?", April 2004 by Magnus Jonsson and Stefan Palmqvist.

Simple correlations have found no relationship between the sectors with the most wage growth and where costs are going up the most. "Wage slashing is not the answer to inflation," Nov. 4, 2022 by Kate Bahn, MSNBC Columnist. 

"Inflation and nominal wage growth tend to stabilize, leaving real wage growth broadly unchanged." Study by IMF in Nov. 2022, cited in "Will giving workers a pay raise really make Inflation worse?", www.bigissue.com

Finally, lack of worker negotiating power will suppress wage increases, allowing greater corporate profits that increase income inequality. In Thailand about 2% of the workforce is organized into trade unions and less than half percent of private enterprises in Thailand had unions. March 2017, "International Labour Standards and Thai Trade Unions Agenda for Labour Law Reforms," www.ilo.org/asia/countries/thailand

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Do you keep elephants?

My dogs eat exactly the same as me.  I cook their meals with mine.  Prime cuts of organic chicken and pork, salmon, and lots of seafood.  The seafood would be very expensive but I mostly catch it myself.  My little bloke loves pan sauteed squid and also albacore steaks (with the bones removed).

I was not spruiking how much I spend on my pets, but rather trying to highlight how little 400 baht buys nowadays and how tough it must be to live on that amount.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1