Faulty brakes lead to 14 vehicle pile up on Rama II Road, Bangkok

snoop1130

About time the authorities start doing checks on these commercial vehicles for "faulty brakes".

It's a wonder some local hasn't picked up on it and opened a business to fix these machines.

They would do a roaring trade given the number of reported incidents with this fault.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bluejets said:

About time the authorities start doing checks on these commercial vehicles for "faulty brakes".

It's a wonder some local hasn't picked up on it and opened a business to fix these machines.

They would do a roaring trade given the number of reported incidents with this fault.

Nevermind, there's somtam and yaba for lunch! :thumbsup:

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No vehicle should be speeding in a built up area, ever. In most countries they understand that.

Problem is the fines and compensation payouts here are very low compared to other countries, A relative of mine in the UK got run over by a speeding bus, and got paid out 250,000 GBP.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Problem is the fines and compensation payouts here are very low compared to other countries, A relative of mine in the UK got run over by a speeding bus, and got paid out 250,000 GBP.

You've got me wondering if it's worth my popping back there to seek out a similar driver ... :unsure:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

They are checked every year on a rolling road, with no load on, No checks are done on air visual gauges or audio alarms, or how long it takes to build up air pressure from empty to see if the compressor is working correctly.

In my past life, before the annual test; all brake drums were removed, and inspected, ALL rubber diaphragms in the actuators replaced, and new seals fitted in the brake pedal unit, air tanks drained frequently to rid oil contaminants and moisture. It seems here there is no proper service schedule. That requires spare vehicles in a fleet for use on service days. But all that costs money init.

• Thanks 2

Seems like the faulty brakes excuse is almost a daily occurrence, now.

If they didn't drive with the pedal to the metal all the time, the brakes would last longer; I don't suppose that would make a difference to the service schedules, though.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Poh Teck Tung Foundation hurried to provide first aid to the 18 injured victims before transporting them to nearby hospitals.

Seems that many members here revel in misery for their beautiful Thai hosts with 5 laughing emojis.

If i had of been 18 westerners injured they would have been outraged and a call for respect.

I just saw on the news that three are critical. Others maimed for life.

1612492380_2566-09-2713_26_27.png.5767d882a4b0772c208f95087711bb44.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1