New public health minister walks back ‘recreational’ cannabis

webfact

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

It is possible to consume Cannabis without combustion.

Very well, Dr. Nutsack. Please do publish your findings that refute the schizophrenia link. I'm looking forward to reading them, given that schizophrenia is one of the most dreadful diseases imaginable. It affects both what you are, and who you are too. Frankly, I wouldn't wish it on my very worst enemy  

• Confused 1

Again, I'm just talking about Thailand....

Cannabis has only been legal here (in Thailand) for 15 months.

Perhaps I am wrong, I often am, but I doubt that many Thais developed Emphysema or schizophrenia in the last 15 months from smoking Cannabis.

The figures I pulled for both (people suffering from Emphysema or Schizophrenia) were from 2019.

I'll stipulate that some who are predisposed to schizophrenia may be negatively impacted by consuming Cannabis, and I would strongly recommend that they not consume it.

I'll stipulate that young people, aged up to twenty should not consume Cannabis.

I'm not deflecting from the dangers of Cannabis, but I'd submit the vaping culture here is much more harmful, especially in the 18-30 age group. I just don't know how safe all those products are, I see them everywhere. If they were tested and approved I'd be more supportive of that habit.

I have no dog in this hunt, other than a general respect for other adults' freedom and ability to make their own lifestyle choices. I went 35 years without consuming cannabis (random/periodic drug testing), and have not consumed it here since before Songkhran. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I was talking about Thailand. I mean that's what we're discussing, right?

The hundreds of thousands of people here (in Thailand) with Emphysema did not contract it from smoking cannabis.

And the tens of thousands of people here (in Thailand) suffering from schizophrenia did not get this condition from smoking Cannabis.

There can be more than one cause for an illness.   For example, do we say it's ok to smoke cigarettes because thousands of people have lung cancer from other sources? 

55 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

It is possible to consume Cannabis without combustion...

Dry Herb Vaporizer

Extracted Oil

Water Soluble Powder

If Cannabis is so bad why do you support Medical Cannabis? I think you've said you do previously, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I do support medical cannabis, I also support recreational cannabis with safeguards, one of those being informed consent.  It's important that people understand the risks and don't try it because a stoner says "It's perfectly safe" when clearly it isn't and for young users it has very severe, lifelong consequences.

The safeguards needed are entirely missing in Thailand and the government should have addressed those first before (un)intentionally legalising recreational use.

I also support legalising MDMA with controlled production & similar safeguards.  I would prefer to see revelers at nightclubs taking MDMA than alcohol, they can love each other instead of fighting each other.

23 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I'll stipulate that young people, aged up to twenty should not consume Cannabis.

The issue I have with age 20 is this.....

We know Cannabis harms the developing brain.

We know brains continue to develop until mid 20's (M26, F24)

Yet we set the age limit at the age of adulthood, not the age brains stop developing.

There's a mismatch here.

I suspect most 20-25 year olds that try Cannabis for the first time, don't even know that it can damage their brains.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:21 AM, sidneybear said:

Well there's emphysema...

https://www.rsna.org/news/2022/november/emphysema-in-marijuana-smokers

Then there's schizophrenia...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2424288/

But apart from that, you don't know whether it's harmful.... hard to believe. 

I believe there are reported problems with it but I knew if I said that I'd get loads of replies telling me that I'm wrong.  Particularly from those who are users and claim it does them no harm and they can work as well, if not better, with it. 

I don't use it so it makes no difference to me if it's legal or easy to obtain and I can't be bothered with the hassle.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

Particularly from those who are users and claim it does them no harm and they can work as well, if not better, with it. 

Yes, a few pilots and doctors made that claim   wrt alcohol and opioids. I would take it with a pinch of salt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, a few pilots and doctors made that claim   wrt alcohol and opioids. I would take it with a pinch of salt. 

I'm not sure salt will help much with the effects although it might add to the taste.  ????

On 10/3/2023 at 2:44 AM, kimamey said:

I believe there are reported problems with it but I knew if I said that I'd get loads of replies telling me that I'm wrong.  Particularly from those who are users and claim it does them no harm and they can work as well, if not better, with it. 

I don't use it so it makes no difference to me if it's legal or easy to obtain and I can't be bothered with the hassle.

I'll bet you 10,000 Baht that teen shooter is a pothead though. 

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Recreational use was never intended, Anutin made that perfectly clear in June 2022.

Weed shop proliferation is sheer stupidity, they knew they were chancing their arm and now they will go bust.

That's why the price of weed has been ridiculously high - twice as expensive as it is in the US. They knew it would all come crashing down soon. That's why they sell it per gram. I mean seriously, who buys weed by the gram? Cocaine, yes. Weed, NEVER.

6 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

That's why the price of weed has been ridiculously high - twice as expensive as it is in the US. They knew it would all come crashing down soon. That's why they sell it per gram. I mean seriously, who buys weed by the gram? Cocaine, yes. Weed, NEVER.

Thank goodness it's allowed to buy directly from the growers at 1/4 the price of a dispensary.