Authorities Continue Crackdown on Foreigners Doing Restricted Jobs

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

In Thailand and in the real estate business, the farangs cheat you as bad if not worse then the locals.

Mainly in those pool villa developpments like in Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya and of course Bangkok etc.

All looks nice when the house is built but quite often there are issues in electricity and short circuits, bulbs getting regularly fused after a few days, electrical surges that can wreck your electrical appliances,  bad materials used, flaws in the construction. low quality paint used that cracks indoors and outdoors....not to mention the overcharging on basic services like cleaning or the community fees and so on.

Wonder how long such business will survive with the current climate where people will not put in money any more for such rubbish....Once you pay, these farang developpers just don't care anymore and only try to lure you to pay exorbitant costs in all kinds of upgrading.

Same with many falang restaurant owners in beach towns. They think they are in their home country with all their roasts, football nights and do not make other foreigners or tourists feel welcome. They want to remain within their own falang beer drinking clans

This gives a bad image of Thailand who is open to all visitors and foreigners and does not like these falang clans to take over and only want to cater to their own communities mainly in Hua Hin, Pattaya or Phuket. So one can understand these steps.

Try going to some english or european country,  sports bar. If you are not one of the, their own staff can be rude and badly serve or plainly make you wait for hours before they serve you or worse, serve others who arrive after. Of course this is not something in general but happens now and then in places like Hua Hin or other beach towns.

The point here is that better perhaps to have some jobs reserved for Thai's as rather get cheated by a local then a farang. (and also cheaper).

A office colleague's computer went dead during charging when in a rented brand new pool villa house in Hua Hin. When he went back home the customer service in the shop said it was due to a mains electric problem during the charging. Always be careful in these rented homes in Thailand tourist areas as their electrical standards are obviously badly done and thus a hazard. I'd feel safer renting a hotel space.

• Thanks 1

I often wondered how those Turkish ice cream or donner kebab guys were allowed to peddle their stuff around Pattaya, surely handing out ice cream or a chicken sandwich can be done by a Thai, am I right?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Its a good thing they dont want us working......Because then we do not have to pay taxes...

They are looking at the money you are making abroad.What yiu could make here is peanuts in comparison...they have it both ways, you see

From the orignal picture. they are not looking for white collars either :  )

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

These activities included food vending and establishing businesses in key commercial areas in Thailand, seemingly encroaching on the job opportunities of Thai citizens.

You will come here and spend money and go home, or if you insist on living here you will not work, you must transfer money from home which we will tax you on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Read the article, would help. 

I have the feeling that retarius (Latin for retarded?) is one of those guys who reads an article and then puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with 47. 

Obviously doesn't understand that here, in this context, "foreigner" does not mean Westerner, but somebody probably from Cambodia, Laos or Burma. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

In Thailand and in the real estate business, the farangs cheat you as bad if not worse then the locals.

Mainly in those pool villa developpments like in Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya and of course Bangkok etc.

All looks nice when the house is built but quite often there are issues in electricity and short circuits, bulbs getting regularly fused after a few days, electrical surges that can wreck your electrical appliances,  bad materials used, flaws in the construction. low quality paint used that cracks indoors and outdoors....not to mention the overcharging on basic services like cleaning or the community fees and so on.

Wonder how long such business will survive with the current climate where people will not put in money any more for such rubbish....Once you pay, these farang developpers just don't care anymore and only try to lure you to pay exorbitant costs in all kinds of upgrading.

Same with many falang restaurant owners in beach towns. They think they are in their home country with all their roasts, football nights and do not make other foreigners or tourists feel welcome. They want to remain within their own falang beer drinking clans

This gives a bad image of Thailand who is open to all visitors and foreigners and does not like these falang clans to take over and only want to cater to their own communities mainly in Hua Hin, Pattaya or Phuket. So one can understand these steps.

Try going to some english or european country,  sports bar. If you are not one of the, their own staff can be rude and badly serve or plainly make you wait for hours before they serve you or worse, serve others who arrive after. Of course this is not something in general but happens now and then in places like Hua Hin or other beach towns.

The point here is that better perhaps to have some jobs reserved for Thai's as rather get cheated by a local then a farang. (and also cheaper).

With respect to some of the pool villa developments in Hua Hin, I cannot but agree.

I visited one "luxury" estate in south Hua Hin about a decade ago when it was being built - looked great, and was considering buying a villa.  I asked the sales person if the group building the estate had built any other estates recently.  She did not know, so I decided to wait a few years - my old practice of inspecting the previous work of a builder before buying a new building by the builder.

Fast forward to now.  I rented one of the above mentioned "luxury" villas last year.  Nothing but problems - leaking roof and water leaking through some walls in heavy rain, rusting fixtures, corners not square, swimming pool problems (leakage), cheap China-made pool pumps breaking down, some electrical compents failing (and then replacements failing due to I am guessing electrical current surges), and numerous external and internal cracks appearing in the building walls (poor foundations?).

Buyer beware!!!  Check out the previous construction work of any builder.

In the past, I had designed and had built 3 good quality houses back home over three decades (I moved jobs in different cities).  Over those 3 decades I had only two problems - a hot water system died (which they do at times) and a flexible hose in a bathroom failed (small <deleted> happens).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbko said:

I often wondered how those Turkish ice cream or donner kebab guys were allowed to peddle their stuff around Pattaya, surely handing out ice cream or a chicken sandwich can be done by a Thai, am I right?

The way you've phrased that question contradicts my understanding of work permit laws. 

Foreigners are allowed to do many of the jobs that Thais could do, unless it's on the list of restricted occupations.  But they need to have a work permit to do any work at all, even volunteer work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding home construction,  In the US there are builders reaching new lows in build quality.  It seems to look good enough to most people and they sometimes do not hire a skilled, knowledgeable home inspector which can be a big mistake later on.  

It is always beneficial to have a home inspector look over such a large purchase.

I believe Thailand is doing somethings correct with Immigration.  If they let to many foreigners with their foreign thinking, culture and customs establish communities in Thailand it will ruin the charm, appearance, and possible gentrification of many areas.  Areas once affordable will see prices increase across the board.

17 hours ago, retarius said:

Why on earth can't foreigners obey the immigration rules?

I obey them but why does every Tom, Dick and Harry think he doesn't have to a) have the money in the bank for a visa, b) is able to work without a visa and c) can do jobs reserved for Thais. 

When they caught caught they are full of self pity. Opening Go Fund Me pages and the like.

Well my attitude is screw them, obey the rules or go home. You seem to think you are colonists from the 19th Century. 

Gawd................:coffee1:

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, retarius said:

I obey them but why does every Tom, Dick and Harry think he doesn't have to a) have the money in the bank for a visa, b) is able to work without a visa and c) can do jobs reserved for Thais. 

When they caught caught they are full of self pity. Opening Go Fund Me pages and the like.

Well my attitude is screw them, obey the rules or go home. You seem to think you are colonists from the 19th Century. 

What a load of nonsense, follow the example of the top politicians, or soldiers playing at being politicians,  Follow their example, fiddling this and fiddling that to line their own pockets. They are only looking after themselves first, you do the same if you can get away with it, but just never hit back at your own kind.

19 hours ago, retarius said:

Agree 100%.

They annoy me a lot because every time one of those losers gets caught it makes it more difficult for farangs that don't break the law.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, retarius said:

Back in the late 1990's WE DID when times were happy and hassle free! As successive Thai Governments came into power, the immigration rules got more and more complex, the worst being under Prayut. Fortunately way back, the "private agency business" and "Immigration consultancy" started blossoming to relieve the stress and worry. I will not elaborate  other than to say my final retirement visa when I left Thailand in 2019 (after 20 years) was issued after consulting with my friendly local Thai Immigration officer -  none of this 800,000 baht in the bank rip-off! For reference, I now OBEY the Immigration rules of Cambodia which are so, so easy, having just extended my annual retirement visa by presenting my valid passport (until 2028), proof of registration on Cambodia's FPCS, one pp photo and 300$.

• Love It 1