Why do people on here call Thailand the land of smiles?

bignok

I think if you walk around with a face like thunder people will put you on the ignore list, in my soi is pretty mixed local Thais a few Burmese and a few farangs, everybody seems to let on, The Thai's always say sawat dee papa when I pass bye,

A couple of times a week we take a walk down the beach and see the same people around even the miserable Russians nod their head, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The are 13 ways in which Thais smile and each has a different name and meaning.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

Thank you, a sensible answer at last. And a very informative article it is too. It's true what it says that:  'even a seasoned expat may misinterpret one'. (smile that is)

10 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Stick around, you'll get it, eventually! :thumbsup:

I’ve been here quite a long time and have a lot of Thai friends, a lot. Not a single one projects an inkling of smirk or monetary expectation on me. Though I can understand why someone would have such experiences due to their own expectations and projected approach to Thais and the venues they frequent. 

A late great man once said to me, “Blend in and become part of the crowd, adapt” “If you think you have to come DOWN to their level, you’ll never get along” A lot of farangs here that are not comfortable in their own skin 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Because if one notices Thais, when they are talking to each other they seem happy and their faces light up and smile naturally during their discussions.

Typical Thai discussion:

'Have you eaten yet?'

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I think people throughout the world smile less and are less friendly.  Many seem afraid I guess and less willing to smile or start a conversation.  Or, there is a major hatred towards others going on now it seems.

Use to be for example you are in an elevator and start a friendly conversation.  Now, most people just stand stone faced, looking away or on their phones not wanting to engage.

Scared of covid and flus

• Confused 1

Because it is, compared to back in the US. Thais are very intuitive. They sense your mood and are receptive to your demeanor. Usually, when I display light heartedness, humor, a nice smile, and a pleasant attitude, I get that back big time. And I find that invigorating. Especially from very cute, young waitresses! 

Not the case in the US. Service staff are heavy hearted, and most do not even detect that you are joking around, that is how seriously they are taking themselves. And few smile back. The US these days is like the new Moscow. Well, that is an exaggeration.

Not here. Not at all. 

Edited by spidermike007