Hardline Republicans seek to oust House Speaker Kevin McCarthy

Social Media

image.png

A hardline Republican says he will seek to oust House Speaker Kevin McCarthy this week, after he pushed through a last-minute spending bill with support from the opposition Democrats.

Mr McCarthy submitted the bill - aimed at averting a government shutdown - in defiance of the right of his party.

They had already vowed to topple him if he tried to overcome their opposition with Democratic support.

Hardline Republicans in both houses of Congress voted against the motion.

Republicans control the House of Representatives, with Democrats enjoying a wafer-thin majority in the Senate.

On Sunday, Rep Matt Gaetz vowed to oust Mr McCarthy, telling the CNN that House Republicans needed "trustworthy" leadership.

"I do intend to file a motion to vacate against Speaker McCarthy this week," said Mr Gaetz, long a vocal critic of the Californian congressman. "I think we need to move on with new leadership that can be trustworthy."

The Florida Congressman, who is among the party's most right-wing members and a keen ally of former President Donald Trump, has been threatening to force a vote on Mr McCarthy's future for weeks.

Along with other hard-right Republicans in the so-called Freedom Caucus, Mr Gaetz refused to back successive budgets proposed by Mr McCarthy, insisting on heavy spending cuts and an end to new military aid to Ukraine.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

11 hours ago, Berkshire said:

McCarthy is actually trying to govern, but the right wing nutters won't let him.  Just think about it, Gaetz wants McCarthy out because he engineered a bi-partisan deal which prevented a government shutdown.  That's what a Speaker is supposed to do.  Doesn't matter, Gaetz will fail in his quest.  Why?  Because nobody who's anybody wants that job.     

Why do you think he'll fail? There will be part of the democrats supporting McCarthy, but how many will keep supporting him if Gaetz calls for a vote on the speaker for the upteenth time?

8 minutes ago, heybruce said:

We need a functioning House of Representatives to get things done.  If it weren't for that unfortunate fact I would enjoy watching the Republicans self-destruct.

If the House is made redundant, it will mean a stalling of the Biden fake impeachment enquiry. No subpoena and no power to call any government officials or expert witness. Kind of shooting themselves on the foot. Hilarious to watch this s..show happening but you right, it will hurt the people. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, Berkshire said:

McCarthy is actually trying to govern, but the right wing nutters won't let him.  Just think about it, Gaetz wants McCarthy out because he engineered a bi-partisan deal which prevented a government shutdown.  That's what a Speaker is supposed to do.  Doesn't matter, Gaetz will fail in his quest.  Why?  Because nobody who's anybody wants that job.     

You might want to trade in your crystal ball. You are wrong, Gaetz won. McCarthy is out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They do performance art instead.

Putin must be popping some champagne now.

Republicans can't govern, so they resort to cynical stunts - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

I can't disagree with you, but that's by no means restricted to the Republicans.

I have difficulty in finding any government that is doing a good job in these crazy days.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Typical right wing nut job standard operating procedure - if you can’t get everything your own way all the time, blow up the entire system.

Unfortunately, the only ones able to defeat these right wing extremist f-wits within the Republican Party are even more extreme right wing f-wits.

Is Joe Biden too old and senile to win the next election…., I now think Joe could drop dead tomorrow and the Democrats could play “Weekend at Bernie’s” with his rotting corpse and, given the current MAGA cult lunacy on the right, Joe would win in a landslide.

It is looking seriously likely that there will eventually be an attempt at a coup in the US that will test the resiliency of their institutions and their fabled “we the people” constitution.

On the bright side, Prayuth might be able to score a consultancy gig.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:15 AM, Berkshire said:

This just in... you didn't know as much as you think... House votes to remove McCarthy as speaker in historic first

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You might want to trade in your crystal ball. You are wrong, Gaetz won. McCarthy is out.

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This just in... you didn't know as much as you think... House votes to remove McCarthy as speaker in historic first

Yeah, I stand corrected.  I honestly believed that McCarthy would have a bag of tricks up his sleeve as Speaker to fend off Gaetz.  But he didn't.  And I also thought he would run again but he won't.  Which makes it a total mess for the GOP House conference.  At least the government isn't shutdown.  But the Congress is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This has made my day. McCarthy, the swamp dwelling, promise breaker, was ousted yesterday by Matt Gaetz motion. Great news. Now maybe we can have a Congress that focusses on spending money on sealing the borders, on helping poor Americans and using the money that Biden send to Ukraine to be stolen to do the tasks that needs doing at home. Yippee, yippee.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:15 AM, Berkshire said:

Lies. The issue is what the money is spent on, not trying to govern. Whether to spend the money on Americans, securing the Southern border and on poorer Americans which is what Gaetz wants it spent on; or spending it on more money to be send to Ukraine to prolong the unwindable war. I'm with Gaetz 100%. And by the way, you lost, McCarthy is out already.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Lies. The issue is what the money is spent on, not trying to govern. Whether to spend the money on Americans, securing the Southern border and on poorer Americans which is what Gaetz wants it spent on; or spending it on more money to be send to Ukraine to prolong the unwindable war. I'm with Gaetz 100%. And by the way, you lost, McCarthy is out already.

Since when do Republicans want to spend money on American people?

The Republicans 40 years of tax cuts for the rich in the name of trickle down economics has all but destroyed the middle class by the massive upwards transfer of wealth.

Abortion, genderism, the border and funding of the Ukraine war are all irrelevant sideshows that distract braindead right wing nutters whilst the grifters they elect rob them blind.

Introduce an IQ test to be eligible to vote and the Republicans would never win anything ever again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yeah, I stand corrected.  I honestly believed that McCarthy would have a bag of tricks up his sleeve as Speaker to fend off Gaetz.  But he didn't.  And I also thought he would run again but he won't.  Which makes it a total mess for the GOP House conference.  At least the government isn't shutdown.  But the Congress is. 

IMO congress is such a joke, on both sides, that it might be better if they are shutdown for a while.

Have they achieved anything much since the election?

• Sad 1