Extension of Stay based on Retirement without any 90 day report done ever

I have a soon expiring first-time Non-O visa based on retirement.  I have never stayed in Thailand for more than 90 days. I come and go about once very month, give or take.  I could have gotten by with continuous visa-exempt entries, I realize that, but I thought, it's better to be officially allowed as a non-tourist.  I have a yellow book and pink card for my condo in BKK.  I am over 50 years old and from Europe.

My visa expires in December and I would like to renew it.  Can I file for an extension of stay (+ ME re-entry-permit) shortly after I come back next time with no 90 day report under my belt? I am planning to stay longer than 30 days this coming year, but still less than 90 every time I come. Or do I need to apply for a new visa at an embassy outside of Thailand?  The problem is, no embassy or consulate applies as my official residence is in Thailand now - am not registered anywhere else.  When I leave Thailand I am staying in hotels while working.

Thank you for your replies.  I may have confused some of you saying that I never did a 90 day report as I never had to, because I never stayed here for even 30 days.  I was afraid I needed such report to get the extension which I just learned I don't.  Am glad to hear that.  My fear was caused by the requirement for a 90-day report for obtaining a drivers license (different topic).

I'll make sure I get my TM30 to submit with the extension request.  And the request needs to be filed between 30 and 15 days before the expiration day of the visa, I hear, right?  That's a narrow window!.  Is that so in BKK at CW?  Any alternative ways, in case I am gone during this fortnight?

1 hour ago, RaveBlond said:

Any alternative ways, in case I am gone during this fortnight?

It's only 15 days prior for application for non O .

For extensions to non O it's up to date of expiry of your permission of stay.

Some offices allow up to 45 days prior. 

eg CW, CM etc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Obviously, since you have some concern, I'd highly recommend you apply for your annual extension as soon as you are able (i.e., if you're here, do it on the 30th or 29th day prior to expiration) so that you have time to fix anything that might (but hopefully does not) come up.  As you know, your annual extension will be dated beginning on the expiration date of your current extension.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:37 AM, DrJack54 said:

You do need to have made a 90 day report to apply for 12 months extension.

My first 7 years in Thailand on extensions (retirement), I never did a TM47.

Aside: re your application for extension make sure that you apply 15+ days prior to expiry of your current permission of stay.

Also that your 800k has been in bank for 2months or more

Hi Dr Jack,

Is there also no necessity for multi-re-entry permits?

On 10/2/2023 at 5:16 AM, RaveBlond said:

I have never stayed in Thailand for more than 90 days. I come and go about once very month, give or take.

The 90-days count stops when you leave the country and resets every time you re-enters. So, if you never stayed a full 90-days period, you have never been in need to make a report.

Some immigrations also resets the 90 days count when issuing an extension of stay – in that case, you will get a note in the passport with your extension-stamp – others don't, so the 90 days count is from last report or last re-entry.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

90 report not required to obtain multi or single reentry permit 

Sorry, Dr Jack, but does that mean that one can hop in and out of Thailand WITHOUT needing re-entry permits and STILL maintain one's annual extension of stay?

51 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

Sorry, Dr Jack, but does that mean that one can hop in and out of Thailand WITHOUT needing re-entry permits and STILL maintain one's annual extension of stay?

No.

When you do an extension you are given a "permission of stay"

To exit Thailand and keep that "permission of stay" you need to buy a reentry permit.

If you plan to make more than 3 trips outside of Thailand then multi is better than single reentry permit.

Single 1000b

Multiple 3800b 

Same TM8 form you just tick multi of Singles box

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

To exit Thailand and keep that "permission of stay" you need to buy a reentry permit.

If you plan to make more than 3 trips outside of Thailand then multi is better than single reentry permit.

Single 1000b

Multiple 3800b 

You can get a re-entry permit at either of the intl airports in BKK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

Single 1000b

Multiple 3800b 

Thank you. There was no mention of the OP having had Re-Entry permits to main his “permission of stay” and I thought I was ‘missing a trick’.

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I departed Chiang-Mai yesterday, and our desk for re-entry permits has now moved, it used to be a little-office next to the security-scanners, but is now to-the-right of the immigration-officers desks, where I was being finger-printed & stamped-out of the country.

9 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Oh thanks ....

I was so unaware of that option.

You mean the reentry permit desk at BKK zone 2 just prior to passport control and reentry permit desk at DMK just after passport control .

Ta

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh thanks ....

I was so unaware of that option.

You mean the reentry permit desk at BKK zone 2 just prior to passport control and reentry permit desk at DMK just after passport control .

Ta

Don't worry doc, i've got your six.

16 hours ago, AjarnMartin said:

Thank you. There was no mention of the OP having had Re-Entry permits to main his “permission of stay” and I thought I was ‘missing a trick’.

This is the first year of my visa (non-O, based on retirement).  During this first year - the validity of the original visa - you can leave and come back to Thailand multiple times (if the visa is a multi-entry visa).  Once you extend this visa with an "extension of stay", you need a re-entry permit (single or multi-entry) for a not-so-small fee to be allowed back in. Total cost: 1900 THB for the extension + 1000 THB for SE, or 3800 THB for ME.

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that we do not need a health insurance for the extension of stay - now I hear conflicting rumors.  Is the health insurance mandatory at CW in BKK? (German citizen, OA based on retirement, first extension of stay and renewal)