Noodle shop’s slippery surprise: Giant python crashes lunchtime in Yala, Thailand

snoop1130

Screenshot-2566-10-03-at-12.jpg

A giant python, almost 5 metres long and weighing 7 kilogrammes, caused a stir today when it slithered into a noodle shop in Yala, Thailand. The reptile was discovered by the shop owner, Suhayna Beeing, who immediately alerted residents of the Gunung Janoang community, sparking panic and attracting a crowd of onlookers.

Suhayna noticed the giant python hiding under a pile of goods in his shop at 90/26 Gunung Janoang. The shop owner’s call for help was answered by Kanob, a local farmer and president of the local charity foundation, Sawang Betong Thammasathan. He was accompanied by Patcharin Inta-at, president of the Betong Social Association, and a team of Sawang Betong rescuers.

The team cautiously moved the pile of goods to expose the python, using special equipment to grip its head. The tight space and the python’s size made the task challenging. Despite the tense situation, the rescuers and onlookers were relieved when the python showed no signs of aggression.

The rescue operation took about 30 minutes, after which the python was slowly drawn out of the shop and displayed on the stone patio in front of the house. The crowd marvelled at the spectacle, with some gasping at the python’s size – nearly 5 metres long and weighing about 7 kilogrammes.

By Atima Homtientong

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, harada said:

It looks more like a cobra to me, and a king cobra shown a few weeks ago was a python, I think The Thaiger need to get their snake book out.  ????

It looks like 2 totally different snakes in the larger photo and the inset photo.  The inset does look like a python but the larger one does not.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, 2long said:

I'm sorry but I'm calling BS on this. A python nearly 5 metres long is indeed large, but looking at the picture and them claiming it only weighed 7kg doesn't sound right. 3 years ago my neighbour and I caught one nearly 5 metres long and it took me and three guys from the snake hotline to pick it up and load it in their pick up.

I think they probably meant 70 kg. 

• Like 2