Tourism confidence in Thailand plummets amid economic jitters

webfact

quite surprised with the plummeting  on tourism, couple days ago fully loaded planes, with Chinese people,  were flying in.... maybe they got diverted to nearby country 555

Flights from China to Thailand almost full amid visa waivers, Thai Airways says

I looked up tourism numbers worldwide recently, I can't remember the details but France and Spain were (no surprise the top two) and Czechia was number 3 with something like 37 million visitors. (Most don't fly in but come by road from other European counties.) 

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

I don't understand this article. If someone could explain?

I'm planning my 2 months trip to Thailand from December to February.

Everything is already fully booked.

My Pattaya hotel told me they are fully booked for December 10th when I arrive, until April. How to find an hotel? Will I be stranded in the street with all the hotels booked??

My car rental guy said they are booked until April too at 99% and they are not sure they can provide me with a rental car.

His partner told me there are so many Foreigners right now.

When I lived in Thailand from 2014 to 2018, I could just walk into my favorite hotels and get a room in 3 minutes.

Ask for a car some morning and get the rental car 3 hours later the afternoon.

Has it changed so much since 2018???!

It seems it's full of Foreigners.

So why this article seems to indicate the opposite?

Or I didn't understand something I'm sure.

If someone could explain...

Thanks ????

Alex LM

Highly unlikely. Have you been online and checked out other hotels/car hire firms with definite dates for bookings? Wouldn’t go by what people say in messages… they’re likely told to say such a thing as bosses know they can sell rooms during that period. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the tourism industry is yet to see a significant economic boost, largely due to global economic jitters and high household debt levels.

I'm a bit confused as to how these 2 ideas are connected. If things are done, where is the economic boost coming from?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

all that talk about 2019 level this level that level 

we all know when airplane tickets get to 2019 level

and the thaibath also all problems are solved

its just not interesting to come to thailand as in other asian countries it is cheaper to live

no visa hassle no harrasment from RTP or extra charges for not thai 

what do you expect?

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Every time i read such articles i find myself scratching my head as to who writes such rubbish, nowadays they can write anything and it will be taken as the gospel truth while we all know too well that the only people who knows the truth probably either bend it or keeping it from us...

That's the problem; the gospels are not truth!

2 hours ago, alexlm said:

I don't understand this article. If someone could explain?

I'm planning my 2 months trip to Thailand from December to February.

Everything is already fully booked.

My Pattaya hotel told me they are fully booked for December 10th when I arrive, until April. How to find an hotel? Will I be stranded in the street with all the hotels booked??

My car rental guy said they are booked until April too at 99% and they are not sure they can provide me with a rental car.

His partner told me there are so many Foreigners right now.

When I lived in Thailand from 2014 to 2018, I could just walk into my favorite hotels and get a room in 3 minutes.

Ask for a car some morning and get the rental car 3 hours later the afternoon.

Has it changed so much since 2018???!

It seems it's full of Foreigners.

So why this article seems to indicate the opposite?

Or I didn't understand something I'm sure.

If someone could explain...

Thanks ????

Alex LM

I just returned from Thailand and while I can't speak to Pattaya or going during busy season, I can share my experience. I was in Bangkok, Samet, and Sukhothai. Also, I've been to thailand 11x over the past 9 years. I do not see you having any problem booking any hotel or rental car. I was easily able to get all I needed wherever and whenever I went. I think the rental car and hotel places are just trying to scare you into buying something upfront, something that will cost you more now than later.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

quite surprised with the plummeting  on tourism, couple days ago fully loaded planes, with Chinese people,  were flying in.... maybe they got diverted to nearby country 555

The DC3s are chockas and shall be arriving soon.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Same we usually go to another country, Vietnam is populair among my Thai friends (in their twenties) too. No wonder, we can get 10 beers for like 300 baht there, a very nice room for only 400-500 (or they just book the entire dorm with 6 people for 80 each). 

But how are people surprised, same to blame covid, this down trend already started before covid. And it is the result of the Thai their actions. Will only get worse for them, Vietnam will basically do everything better than Thailand. They already produce 40K IT students yearly now, that are way better than Thais are. So far our company hired 2, in Thailand we found 0 in a decade.

Many people just endlessly defend Thailand, because they so far were not the target, or because they are stuck here regardless, while not being objective at all. Anyone who has a bit of brains, and is realistic, knows this is all true.

The USA could not even beat Vietnam, let alone Thailand.

Hm,...The Thai IT people I know work for Japanese companies and are treated like royalty, and all there IT friends want the same !!! they get huge salaries and a lot of extras ! The Japanese companies even check the university's tu get th

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Same we usually go to another country, Vietnam is populair among my Thai friends (in their twenties) too. No wonder, we can get 10 beers for like 300 baht there, a very nice room for only 400-500 (or they just book the entire dorm with 6 people for 80 each). 

But how are people surprised, same to blame covid, this down trend already started before covid. And it is the result of the Thai their actions. Will only get worse for them, Vietnam will basically do everything better than Thailand. They already produce 40K IT students yearly now, that are way better than Thais are. So far our company hired 2, in Thailand we found 0 in a decade.

Many people just endlessly defend Thailand, because they so far were not the target, or because they are stuck here regardless, while not being objective at all. Anyone who has a bit of brains, and is realistic, knows this is all true.

The USA could not even beat Vietnam, let alone Thailand.

Hm,...The Thai IT people I know work all for Japanese companies ! they get huge salaries, and a lot of extras. Like free all paid trips to Japan to follow courses and learn Japanese.

And all there IT friends just dream about the same ! Nobody of value want to work for a western company.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If the economy is bad it can at first boost tourism and secondary :"big spends"

In a slump the first to go is property  - people won;t invest in a more expensive house. THe money they then have is oftenthen spend of "big spends - home improvements, a car, or a holiday. After Covid people found themselves cash rich and holidas had a big boost as people had missed out on 1 or probably 2 vacations during lockdown.

But no=w the poor economies of western countries -some of the mainstays of Thai toursim - are eating into the numbers of people who want to travel to Thailand - add on to that the cost of flights which are effectively double what they were in 2019, a holiday in Thaiand is looking less attractive. THe British are just about the biggest single groups of wWestern visitors to Thailand so if you factor in the effects of Brexit on top of all the world woes, Thailand is going to lose a big chunk out out of visitors from that country.

during the 2007 economic crisis, I was working in a factory in Thailand whose entire raison d'etre was exports - and the effect of poor economies in the West was devasting. THe effects were felt throughout the Thai economy- you can't look at Thailand in isolation, what is going on around the world has a direct effect on this Kingdom.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I travelled to Oz and NZ late last year. Went on several tours. Despite of that I spent only twice what I usually spend in Thailand, including all flights!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 hours ago, webfact said:

largely due to global economic jitters and high household debt levels.

Domestic Tourists cannot really be called Tourists

The money they spend is just the Money that is already within the system in Thailand, and is not new Money, and therefore cannot be added to any GDP

The high Household Debt is the reason that the Central Bank cannot raise Interest Rates any higher to combat ever increasing Inflation

Higher Interest Rates would push Millions over the edge into NPL territory, and  such are the amounts involved ( 16 Trillion Baht ) the result of that would be catastrophic

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

I'll explain your Hotel and Car Hire Company are bull sh#tters. Just want to scam you for as much as possible up front. Just arrive and see the truth, empty hotels and hire cars covered in dust. 

I can drive around my tamboon and there is many car and bike rental places full with cars standing idle same with the bikes, they are b/s merchants, same with hotels not busy, ok December/January might be showing busy I saw it last year were tourist were getting their bookings cancelled because the owners thought they could get more money, especially villas, 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Come on mate - surely you know they are only saying that because they want to buy/lease some new planes and then take their share of the kickback.  

• Haha 1