Moving Back To USA Stories

JimTripper

On 10/3/2023 at 9:05 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I am more worried about political problems in the USA making life unlivable back there... and who is to say a crazy development there might bring on a dictator to confiscate your bank account? 

Who knows? It is pretty crazy there now. 

Agree totally, might be a civil war after the 2024 election the way things are going!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I'm desperate to move out of Thailand and return to the US. Not really desperate (6 here, 6 there for a decade) but have a retail business that has been a nightmare and I just want out. the theft, filth, corruption, etc has left me bitter and uncaring toward base humanity. and I was a caring optimistic businessman for 40 years before undertaking this in Thailand. if you aren't here for daydrinking and chasing tail then you are here for the wrong reason. I expect most of those that returned to the US never look back, and the gripers that left but can't let go of this forum reveals just how bitter the experience left them. when I can cash out of Thailand (what little is left of the investment) I can't wait to leave and won't even glance back. time is too precious to waste.

The love of money can bring out the worst in people..

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Land ownershiip is a big hurdle for me also. I dont want to retire in a condo or a rental. That rules Thailand out altogether for me as a permanent residence.

When I dont own I also keep moving around and it never feels like I'm settled in one place, but it's more of a James Bond situation where I'm always on the move. This feeling persists even with annual leases.

You continue to blame external things. No one here actually believes any of it. 
It’s just an extension of the ‘pot of gold at the end of the rainbow’. 
But really you are just in a recurring dream/nightmare. 

• Haha 1

I lived in Thailand full time for just over a decade.

I'd lived in Singapore with my Thai wife again for about a decade before we moved to Thailand

I liked Thailand when I retired early for about two years then boredom set in.

When our son went to college in the US and after a week said he was never coming back, that set the ball rolling.

My wife was already frustrated with her career, since in Singapore she'd been a pretty high flier, yet struggled in Thailand to get a decent engineering job as a woman.

So we made the move back to the US.

Can't say I regret it.

My wife landed pretty quickly a DoD job on the local AFB, and I took a part time job with Delta Airlines, which got me out of the retirement boredom trap.

As for cost. we already owned a house here which negated a lot of the housing costs that many expats face when repatriating, which for many get's them really hamstrung.

After that, we lived in Thailand a pretty Western lifestyle, which is pricey compared to the real Western lifestyle, and I would ponder that our day to day expenditure is actually less than in Thailand.

So now I think we get the best of all worlds.

With my job at Delta, we travel free to our home in Thailand every year (post covid I might add) but both of us are happier with work, and close to our kids

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I lived in Thailand full time for just over a decade.

I'd lived in Singapore with my Thai wife again for about a decade before we moved to Thailand

I liked Thailand when I retired early for about two years then boredom set in.

When our son went to college in the US and after a week said he was never coming back, that set the ball rolling.

My wife was already frustrated with her career, since in Singapore she'd been a pretty high flier, yet struggled in Thailand to get a decent engineering job as a woman.

So we made the move back to the US.

Can't say I regret it.

My wife landed pretty quickly a DoD job on the local AFB, and I took a part time job with Delta Airlines, which got me out of the retirement boredom trap.

As for cost. we already owned a house here which negated a lot of the housing costs that many expats face when repatriating, which for many get's them really hamstrung.

After that, we lived in Thailand a pretty Western lifestyle, which is pricey compared to the real Western lifestyle, and I would ponder that our day to day expenditure is actually less than in Thailand.

So now I think we get the best of all worlds.

With my job at Delta, we travel free to our home in Thailand every year (post covid I might add) but both of us are happier with work, and close to our kids

For non Americans;

DoD: Dept. of Defense

AFB: Air Force Base

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

For non Americans;

DoD: Dept. of Defense

AFB: Air Force Base

Thank you for your clarification. It is good to remember that not all readers of this forum are US Americans or familiar with US-specific jargon and acronyms

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

I'm 63. I've only spent about 8 months in Thailand over a dozen exploratory trips since 2016.  3 -2 month stints.  Financially I could swing it with the current policies but during the last 6 years  I've witnessed a change in the thai government attitude towards foreigners.  

I have a wonderful home in a nice location, safe neighborhood, great view, lots of public open spaces nearby. We have a nice garden and private yard.  My Thai wife is enjoying learning this new way to live. She loves ice fishing for trout, foraging mushrooms on the steep hills. I'm quite the busy body and enjoy many hobbies.  I imagine I will be doing odd jobs for pay or making wood things for family or to sell long into old age.  I have a big garage and shop.   Currently it is quite easy to make big bucks doing handyman things for all these boomers with money but no skills or desire.    I envy some of the retirees I see on these pages who have a wonderful house in the country, with a farm and gardens, installing solar systems, a happy wife, etc.      I enjoy the 4 seasons but admit winter gets old.  I can get so much more  done in cooler weather and enjoy the 16 hours of daylight. Thailand is to hot for my comfort much of the year. 

Traffic here is a breeze and so much safer as well as walking across the street or into a store.  Thai people are shocked at how the cars obey traffic rules and crosswalks and pedestrians. 

As for folks hoping the US housing market will retract, I dont think it will in desired locations.  I'm not ruling out a change but right now we are happy here. 

I had to laugh about the mushrooms.

What is it with Thai's in farangland obsessing about foraging for mushrooms?

My wife has many friends scattered around the world, and read their facebook posts and a helluva lot are about the 'mushroom obsession'

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Couple big ticket items back in USA (RE Taxes & healthcare premiums/Plan B) that would eat up a good part of my pocket money.   So not as enjoyable if living there. 

I guess it depends on your age & what State you live in

In my home State they give a big Property Tax valuation deduction if your property is used as your primary residence

Then when you reach  60 they give you another big one & then again at 70 so my property taxes are quite low on a nice home in one of the top five COL States

Then for medical of course you have Medicare at 65 pretty much pays most things. Yes if your income is over XXX you pay Part B $170 a month but...If you are below a certain income level you then get Medicaid free on top of the Medicare which does pay for everything including your part B & part D (drugs) plus you never have a co-payment

In Thailand yes I pay no property tax ...then again aside from condo we had in Chiang Mai I don't really ever own any property in Thailand. We do however have a nice country home in my wife's name of course that we pay no tax on

Medical in Thailand? Well for myself not even close to USA price wise once above benefits are counted. I guess if your paying cash for everything then yes Thailand medical is cheaper but Thai & even international medical insurance n Thailand gets pretty prohibitive after 65

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:20 PM, JimTripper said:

Stories about being retired in Thailand and changing your mind and moving back to the USA permanently.

We didn't so much change our minds but the coup/junta looked like it had legs this time already in power 2 years in 2016 (they did have legs in hindsight staying till 2023) plus a incident at the major Thai hospital kind of decided it for us in 2016. After 7+ years we decided to head back to our US home.

It was a bit weird at first & had us wondering if we made the right choice.  Of course we still traveled back every year for 2-3 months (except 20/21 covid years) as we kept our Thai home.

We have a great place here in the US own outright so no strain there. But to be honest we often consider moving back to Thailand & especially now that Junta seems to have left?  but.... Now we wonder & will see what happens with all that taxation talk Jan 2024. I don't think it will amount to much but if it did that would seal it & we would remain living here & with our 3 months a year to Thailand routine.

One thing which is really my main driver when considering moving back to Thailand is while I love both places as does my wife .. I am going to be 67 & do worry that in the future should something happen to me that is a big job for my wife to handle on her own selling our home as she would move back to our Thai home then.. but would need to handle so any things here before leaving the US permanently . So that is something I often consider& wonder about

Anyway we will once again be at out Thai home in a few weeks for our 3 months & will enjoy it of course ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 8:47 PM, KhunLA said:

Do you think anyone moving back to the USA will be on AN, to follow the happenings in Thailand, of SEA.  Don't think you'll be getting too many replies.

I certainly wouldn't, same as I don't follow any forums about the USA after leaving.  How bored do you have to be to do that?

One man's opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I lived in Bangkok for three years moving back to the states this past March.  I lived in Bangkok because I wanted to experience living overseas. But afterwards it just became annoying to me.  This was not my first choice but the retirement visa was good and easy.  Things are more expensive here in the US now but what can you do.

And no I didn’t come here because I hated my own country.  Or couldn’t make it financially or health insurance wise. As it seems that a majority of expats move here because of that.  Or their main hobby was vegetating and boozing it up. And whine because they blame their misfortunes on everything except themselves. So I had nothing much in common with them. 
I still keep up on what’s going on in Thailand.  Just as other countries which I have visited.  

I'm visiting the US as I do every year. I'm starting to feel like instead of paying really stupid prices for this vacation, I'll stay in Thailand and spend my money here on 5 star hotels and good dining.

2 hours ago, mania said:

Then for medical of course you have Medicare at 65 pretty much pays most things. Yes if your income is over XXX you pay Part B $170 a month but...If you are below a certain income level you then get Medicaid free on top of the Medicare which does pay for everything including your part B & part D (drugs) plus you never have a co-payment

Didn't realize that was a thing, though guess I'm over that limit, and the Plan B alone is way more than I would spend here/TH.

The tax thing I know, as FL, has/had at time of researching 100k homestead act/relief of assessment.  Still a few state with no sales or income tax.  Was pricing RE in FL the other day, curious, and wow, things sure have gone up since last time, and more than a few years ago.   Could get decent house on the intercoastal for <150k, and now, I couldn't find anything, for less than 100k 'at all in FL' that wasn't a trailer, with high rent of land it sat on.   Damn silly.

I'll by 69 soon, so uprooting isn't really a reality, and except for being a bit bored during smog season, still loving TH.

Hindsight (for others to think about), should of either made another mill before retiring, or (easier/less time), bought about 5 more rental houses and not liquidated the three I had.

Taxes, definitely depends where you live, since I don't need or want suburbia (good school/employment area), taxes would be lower.

In 2000 (PA), one house (unofficial 3 apartments) was $3900 (mostly school tax), and the other 2 houses tax $600 & $700, so far from expensive.  All 3 were no place you'd want to send you kids to public school though.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't realize that was a thing, though guess I'm over that limit, and the Plan B alone is way more than I would spend here/TH.

That you spend less than Part B or $170 a month to have insurance in Thailand is quite good. I could go for that ????  But the prices I have seen are more like $3-400 & that will only go up as I age

If you mean less than $170 a month for small medical visits etc well yes that is great till/when/if something big happens.

The tax thing I know, as FL, has/had at time of researching 100k homestead act/relief of assessment.

In our State the property tax break is better.... 80k off per couple initially then another 80k at 60 & 80k at 70years old

I'll by 69 soon, so uprooting isn't really a reality, and except for being a bit bored during smog season, still loving TH.

My wife & I are athletic/active & love both places a lot. Thailand can be a bit tougher as you said with smog & heat too at times is not great for outdoor sport types. But while living there I would do laps at the pool early on those days & that was great

One thing Thailand really has is so much to do etc. I mean the coffee stops alone while out exercising is a real treat for us

19 minutes ago, mania said:

That you spend less than Part B or $170 a month to have insurance in Thailand is quite good. I could go for that ????  But the prices I have seen are more like $3-400 & that will only go up as I age

If you mean less than $170 a month for small medical visits etc well yes that is great till/when/if something big happens.

In our State the property tax break is better.... 80k off per couple initially then another 80k at 60 & 80k at 70years old

My wife & I are athletic/active & love both places a lot. Thailand can be a bit tougher as you said with smog & heat too at times is not great for outdoor sport types. But while living there I would do laps at the pool early on those days & that was great

One thing Thailand really has is so much to do etc. I mean the coffee stops alone while out exercising is a real treat for us

What state you living in, as that's quite good.

No insurance, never had, and really never needed.  Have nice oops fund, so yes, it is a roll of the dice now at my age.  Fairly healthy, and only thing that runs in family, a generation ago, was cancer, but all heavy drinkers & smokers, (a bit self inflicted),  which I'm neither.

Our Out & Abouts seem to revolve around coffee shops & charging stations, with lots of lovely landscape in between ????

Then find a hotel with a view, and hang out locally there for a day or so, before moving on.  Journey is scenic, and hanging out is scenic, with some different munching.  The rest (culture & history) I peeked at long ago, and doesn't interest me or the wife.  Give us a surf or a hillside to look at, and we're happy.

Luckily we have both where we live, but like to see a different one a few times a year. 

Only visit Wats occasionally, as they are usually located in primo spots with a view.  Strangely the wife could care less, and doesn't believe in any of the merit BS, as the rest of her family does.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:03 AM, sirineou said:

Recent changes in the Golden visa program, and foreigner taxation in Portugal make it a more difficult place to move to.

"Portugal to scrap ‘unjust’ tax breaks for foreign residents "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/03/portugal-to-scrap-unjust-tax-breaks-for-foreign-residents

"Portugal to Apply New Golden Visa Changes Soon, Following President’s Approval "

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/portugal-to-apply-new-golden-visa-changes-soon-following-presidents-approval/#google_vignette

That  makes France attractive for those who have a family. I did my figures in the last couple of weeks, here I could be liable for 850000 a year, in France only 300000 for a family of four. Plus all the family allowances and social security goodies.

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

That  makes France attractive for those who have a family. I did my figures in the last couple of weeks, here I could be liable for 850000 a year, in France only 300000 for a family of four. Plus all the family allowances and social security goodies.

Depending on how this foreign tax scheme is structured other countries might become a better option for many. 

I have actually  obtained a Greek passport last year, we just came back from a one month vocation last month. There are many reasons why we should move there even for someone without a Greek passport, (With purchase of 240K house residency , and a path to citizenship, highest english literacy in Europe, and of course Greece, and greek food. 

The reason why we have not moved there was  first the wife likes it in Thailand, and I don't care where I am, and because Thailand was easy for me. No tax returns, no European type regulations, etc. But if Thailand creates another layer of bureaucracy, with this tax schema I might be able to talk the wife into moving there, 

No description available.

First of all it is important not to believe any losers on Thai forums claiming how Thailand is so much better than USA. It seems to me that even those "stupid" Thais can make a 200k a year in the good ole USA. Yeah... USA bad because you can't get laid maybe?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I wish.  I am considering taking lessons.  With that said as mentioned here I usually can find someone who speaks some English.  In Spain rarely, in Portugal never. 

Can't you use google translate? I do that in thailand and just show people the phone or have it speak out loud.

thrre is even an audio feature to have convo back and forth.

Edited by JimTripper

37 minutes ago, Celsius said:

First of all it is important not to believe any losers on Thai forums claiming how Thailand is so much better than USA. It seems to me that even those "stupid" Thais can make a 200k a year in the good ole USA. Yeah... USA bad because you can't get laid maybe?

What 65 yr old single guy is getting laid with an attractive 40 yr old American lady. And the thought of a 62 yr old bag of wrinkles female is frightening. For a single guy with average money, it's a good deal.

54 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What 65 yr old single guy is getting laid with an attractive 40 yr old American lady. And the thought of a 62 yr old bag of wrinkles female is frightening. For a single guy with average money, it's a good deal.

I doubt if I would have much of a problem ... but that's me.  Maybe closer to 50, but plenty of fine looking ladies about in the 45-55 range.

Not everyone eats from McDs & KFC

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Can't you use google translate? I do that in thailand and just show people the phone or have it speak out loud.

thrre is even an audio feature to have convo back and forth.

They have apps now (audio) that will translate perfectly.  Though they do struggle with the tonal Asian languages.  Close enough to get by for.  After being here/TH a while, you do pick up quite a lot, without even trying.  Unless completely dependent on farang tourist ghettos or GF to survive.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, newnative said:

American here.  No intention of ever moving back to the US.   Many little reasons but they all boil down to simply living a much better life here.

I second that motion.  The politics in America are just too ugly now.  The advent of the LTR visa has made life in Thailand much easier.

• Like 2