Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

42 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

If you are happy eating like a thai/enjoy cooking yourself, not a big drinker/partygoer then there are plenty of options living away from Pattaya, in fact when I visit my friend in Pattaya some of the most unhappy looking people I have seen live there

Hua Hin has lots of unhappy looking people.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NextG said:

*Baht and if you even believed in what you wrote about, you could have simply expressed the figure in local currency. 
What use is $ to someone whose local currency is something different. 
The income is quoted in Baht and expenses will be in Baht. 
Worse, you wrote neither Baht nor US$. You do know that there are Australians, Canadians, New Zealander’s etc who inhabit this board, don’t you? 
So at least decide on the currency in which you will quote. 

Go on !  Give em a  bath then !????

On 10/4/2023 at 6:21 PM, scubascuba3 said:

12.5k a year for the retirement extension, as for health, firstly try your best to be fit and healthy, ensure a healthy diet otherwise you're just bringing forward the date you get really sick

A retirement yearly extension costs 1900 Baht.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Saving money on the small things but costing a lot in the long run ?

I remember my first hired girlfriend in Thailand on my first 3 week holiday. She definitely helped me to spend my money wisely.

Obviously there are also risks. But I think it is undeniable that the help of a or more Thai people, who know the local situation, helps a lot. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Women are expensive. Regardless of who they are. They need to be taken care of. 

Sometimes you write intelligently, sometimes not. This is one of the times when you have let yourself down… badly. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember my first hired girlfriend in Thailand on my first 3 week holiday. She definitely helped me to spend my money wisely.

Obviously there are also risks. But I think it is undeniable that the help of a or more Thai people, who know the local situation, helps a lot. 

You do know that you can have Thai friends that you don’t need to hire… don’t you?

Your world is the way it seems because you have created that illusion. 
I remember leaving one of my U.K debit cards with a Thai friend who worked as a hotel receptionist. By friend, I mean friend, not a hired help, but someone with whom I had a genuine friendship. Whenever I had a special occasion, such as mum’s birthday, I might ask her to take out some cash in order to buy some gold ornament or chain and also to help herself to anything needed. She would go after work to fulfil my request and refused to take anything for herself. I would have to insist on her taking some to cover her costs. 
For me it’s just mortifying the way in which you describe Thai women and women in general. 
You lay with dogs, you can catch fleas. Not everyone chooses to lay with them and so they may have a completely different experience than you. 
My friends didn’t cost me anything to maintain. The fact that for you it seems normal is somewhat revealing in itself. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting that you think girlfriend and p4p is the same.

Obviously it's possible to manage many situations alone. But there is an advantage to learn lots of details from a local friend. 

For some, it is. The people who they describe as their ‘girlfriend’ are so obviously not. Just there for as long as the money keeps flowing. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, NextG said:

Sometimes you write intelligently, sometimes not. This is one of the times when you have let yourself down… badly. 

No, for once I agree with spider 100%. Unless you have kids together as I do,I'd take the 110k baht mo I have and live large. I have plenty of savings for travel and such but just reg expenses like insurance for 2 cars, maintenance, tires, school fees, house improvements, I drop 30k in my lady's bank each month just because I can. Life is much more than being a tyrant. You can't take it with you. My biggest joy is taking care of my kid and making sure a bright future.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

No, for once I agree with spider 100%. Unless you have kids together as I do,I'd take the 110k baht mo I have and live large. I have plenty of savings for travel and such but just reg expenses like insurance for 2 cars, maintenance, tires, school fees, house improvements, I drop 30k in my lady's bank each month just because I can. Life is much more than being a tyrant. You can't take it with you. My biggest joy is taking care of my kid and making sure a bright future.

I was in a similar situation , dropping my GF a similar salary , but she left me when my currency plummeted and I was depressed for a few days then realised that I have an extra 50 000 Baht a month to spend on myself and I have been single ever since 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I was in a similar situation , dropping my GF a similar salary , but she left me when my currency plummeted and I was depressed for a few days then realised that I have an extra 50 000 Baht a month to spend on myself and I have been single ever since 

Absolutely, no child and I would not have a gf. I would get the hourly special when wanted and live large.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 11:31 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

"no p4p"

Does that mean no girlfriend of wife?

I think in general a reasonable Thai girlfriend helps to save money in Thailand. She will know where the market is, fruits of the season, and many such details.

Obviously a farang can learn such things. But it will take a long time and it will be a lot easier with a girlfriend together.

While I agree with the sentiment, I never managed to find the place where Thai girls who want to live with broke farangs hang out.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Must be nice being rich.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You were lucky then. I always took my rentals to the beach where they were as clueless about the area as I.

Usually the most help they were was staying with the bags while I looked for a place to stay.

Luckily I didn't have them along for their local knowledge.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I never managed to find the place where Thai girls who want to live with broke farangs hang out.

It's some time ago that I tried to find a new Thai girlfriend.

But many of the girls seem to know pretty well how to live cheap - if they have to and use their own money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Obviously you're very 'hansum', young, witty and have a great body and personality.

But for us normal blokes, fat, old, bald and boring the choice is between a woman with financial needs and no woman at all.

I focus less than how I look than on how I function. 

• Sad 1