Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

What did exactly made you sick about my post. That most career Thai woman have bigger monthly income than the average sexpat in Thailand or that I was gloating?

I hope that I already answered your question. 
No one is leading a perfect and blameless life. We are all trying to live the best lives we can, with what we have. Personally I think BMT lives a life that many might envy. Who are you to try to bring him down? It’s repugnant behaviour. If it walks like a duck…

So wind it in. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s frankly pathetic how the man parades his wife as some form of trophy. Puke inducing. 

Wait..... you are telling me this while some old grandpas here are gloating in every post about "banging"  the girls in their 20's and 30's while they literally referring to them as only being good for one thing.

Hahaha... what a pathetic reply!

My post about middle class Thai women must have really offended you. 

Damn, English even ain't my first language and I exposited your hypocrisy!

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Have to disagree. Find your posts go from common sense to argumentative for arguments sake. He makes a fair point that living on that amount will mean living an ok life but somewhat of a limited lifestyle by western standards in a city. Not saying you can't have a good or happy life but if you want to have a life with open choices and a degree of freedom e.g. holidays etc then you simply might need more. Reasonable advice for those thinking of retiring.

Saying that a westerner should feel happy as people from a different culture and circumstance consider him well off is a bit trite and somewhat irrelevant.

Saying his comments are nonsense or illustrating his failings is strange and overly combative as a fair proportion of your posts tend to be. 

Rubbish! I just gave a personal example of why what you are asserting is total ???? 

Spending more money would not increase the quality of my life. 
I certainly don’t have a house by the sea in my home country. So how can you assert that I have ‘a limited lifestyle by western standards’. I don’t know ANYONE in the U.K. who might eat out every single day, including the freshest seafood, live in a luxury house by the sea, nit have to work….

You are posting absolute nonsense. I’m shocked that someone could post such absolute nonsense without having their tongues placed firmly in their cheeks. 
And yes, I’ve lived by the sea in many countries. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Wait..... you are telling me this while some old grandpas here are gloating in every post about "banging"  the girls in their 20's and 30's while they literally referring to them as only being good for one thing.

Hahaha... what a pathetic reply!

My post about middle class Thai women must have really offended you. 

Damn, English even ain't my first language and I exposited your hypocrisy!

Perhaps you can explain what the average debt laden middle class woman has to do with a question about the life of a retiree? It was just a spurious comment meant to inflame. Childish, as are many of your posts on this forum. Why is that?

Hypocrisy? I think you will find that I am equally critical to any outlandish behaviour from any party. Demonstrate hypocrisy on my part, at least before using a term that you clearly do not understand. 

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Fair enough.  And I suspect that as many that are comfortable, there are just as many that are not or we could say they adapted but its not what they envisioned their life to be. I have met and known quite a few that started out with the rose colored glasses syndrome. They sat around, did the math and said.  "I can live well on 50k, 60k bht".  The majority left within a few years as they felt trapped.  I know a few now that live on about 40k baht a month but they are older and are not very mobile and do not go many places and order food from various western food stores delivered to their home.  They seem content. 

So I guess in the broader point of view, it would completely depend on the life style they lived in their home country and what are they expecting when they move here and that person has to be 100% honest with themselves or they could set themselves up for a fail. I still personally believe that 60K baht is a basic life here if you include all living expenses, are on the up and up, plan on a trip back home every few years or a trip or 2 to nearby countries or even a nice getaway here in Thailand. 

I always enjoy this subject when it hits the forum. Interesting cross section but not ever sure if the guys living on the 60k baht are being truthful about how their life is. ????

Iam being truthful.

To be fair though when I was earning 300k a month I was spending a lot more than 60k a month !!

I actually like the lesser salary (around 40%) and life to be honest.... stress free working but satisfying and comfortable life.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NextG said:

Rubbish! I just gave a personal example of why what you are asserting is total ???? 

Spending more money would not increase the quality of my life. 
I certainly don’t have a house by the sea in my home country. So how can you assert that I have ‘a limited lifestyle by western standards’. I don’t know ANYONE in the U.K. who might eat out every single day, including the freshest seafood, live in a luxury house by the sea, nit have to work….

You are posting absolute nonsense. I’m shocked that someone could post such absolute nonsense without having their tongues placed firmly in their cheeks. 
And yes, I’ve lived by the sea in many countries. 

Horses for courses as they say. I feel you are mixing two issues.

The first issue is comparing having the same income in say the UK and Thailand whereby Thailand could come out on top. 

The second is for a potential retiree deciding how much they need for a comfortable happy free retirement and whether to, say, retire a bit early, and accept a lower income, or work a bit longer, and have a higher income with increased freedoms but be a bit older.

Not shocking, or a debate that is nonsense, or absolute nonsense. If you feel on 60000 you can do everything you want to do then bully for you. But let's be honest that 60000 a month in a city, as against out in the sticks where it is a different thing, is definitely doable but can come with some significant limitations. 

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Horses for courses as they say. I feel you are mixing two issues.

The first issue is comparing having the same income in say the UK and Thailand whereby Thailand could come out on top. 

The second is for a potential retiree deciding how much they need for a comfortable happy free retirement and whether to, say, retire a bit early, and accept a lower income, or work a bit longer, and have a higher income with increased freedoms but be a bit older.

Not shocking, or a debate that is nonsense, or absolute nonsense. If you feel on 60000 you can do everything you want to do then bully for you. But let's be honest that 60000 a month in a city, as against out in the sticks where it is a different thing, is definitely doable but can come with some significant limitations. 

^^

A lesson in how you can write a lot, but say absolutely nothing. 
I live in a city and have a life that many might envy. I sure others can speak for themselves, but BMT doesn’t sound as if he is starving nor wanting for anything. 
So do you have anything tangible or are you simply waffling into the atmosphere?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

^^

A lesson in how you can write a lot, but say absolutely nothing. 
I live in a city and have a life that many might envy. I sure others can speak for themselves, but BMT doesn’t sound as if he is starving nor wanting for anything. 
So do you have anything tangible or are you simply waffling into the atmosphere?

Horses for courses.  Fair enough. I'll leave it there. 

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Define comfortable.  Does that mean holed up in a small box, walking everywhere he goes and eating at Big C or Lotus say 5 times a week and staying as long as he can to enjoy free AC? 

Easy-peasey.

He's 60 and single.  A nice furnished 45-meter studio or 1BR can be found for 5-6000 bath.  Utilities a couple thousand, phone+internet 500.  That leaves over 50K for food and transport.

Seems he's not interested in booze, hookers or blow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Have to disagree. Find your posts go from common sense to argumentative for arguments sake. He makes a fair point that living on that amount will mean living an ok life but somewhat of a limited lifestyle by western standards in a city. Not saying you can't have a good or happy life but if you want to have a life with open choices and a degree of freedom e.g. holidays etc then you simply might need more. Reasonable advice for those thinking of retiring.

Saying that a westerner should feel happy as people from a different culture and circumstance consider him well off is a bit trite and somewhat irrelevant.

Saying his comments are nonsense or illustrating his failings is strange and overly combative as a fair proportion of your posts tend to be. 

Your post doesn’t make much sense at all. 
You are attempting to ‘compare apples with oranges’. 
Most people in the USA, don’t even travel outside their country. For the people who do, most will go as far as Mexico. So I don’t know to which demographic your refer when you write about this western lifestyle that involves travel. This is of course disregarding the fact that they may have already reached their destination in Thailand and don’t feel the need to travel further. Most people travel to get away from their miserable lives and pay a hefty premium for just two weeks of freedom.  That feeling subsides if you move to a place where you might feel happy and contented. So why would you wish to emulate your western lifestyle of trying to escape?

So if you please, explain what you mean by a ‘limited lifestyle’. 

Edited by NextG

53 minutes ago, NextG said:

Perhaps you can explain what the average debt laden middle class woman has to do with a question about the life of a retiree? 

Who says they are in debt? But if they are they have 2 salaries to support it, so we are now talking a minimum of 150k baht a month on family income. Most of the months I live on much less than 60k a month, but I do have strong support system and savings to fall back to including a working wife with plenty of connections (sorry for gloating again).

Now lets talk about pensioners that live on bare minimum. Some here say they don't care about healthcare and when that time comes they will just accept to die. This is never the case as most of them keep begging on GoFundMe, start crying or go back to mother NHS as soon as they fall off the motorbike and kiss the asphalt. They all want to live. 

Thailand is the complete opposite of living back home. Back home once you get old the cost of living decreases as you get the support of the government and many benefits that come with it, In Thailand they go up dramatically. As I mentioned many times on this forum living on pittance in Thailand in your 30's and 40's is easy. Not so easy once you get older. It seems like some old folks just don't like the facts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Who says they are in debt? But if they are they have 2 salaries to support it, so we are now talking a minimum of 150k baht a month on family income. Most of the months I live on much less than 60k a month, but I do have strong support system and savings to fall back to including a working wife with plenty of connections (sorry for gloating again).

Now lets talk about pensioners that live on bare minimum. Some here say they don't care about healthcare and when that time comes they will just accept to die. This is never the case as most of them keep begging on GoFundMe, start crying or go back to mother NHS as soon as they fall off the motorbike and kiss the asphalt. They all want to live. 

Thailand is the complete opposite of living back home. Back home once you get old the cost of living decreases as you get the support of the government and many benefits that come with it, In Thailand they go up dramatically. As I mentioned many times on this forum living on pittance in Thailand in your 30's and 40's is easy. Not so easy once you get older. It seems like some old folks just don't like the facts. 

What on earth has the possible income of a working middle class couple got to do with a question of where a retiree could possibly live on 60k monthly?

BMT seems to have eked out a decent life where he is. 
Many in Chonburi seem to have done the same, so what the heck has your wife’s salary and connections have to do with anything to do with the OP?

Have you lost your senses? Tone deaf?

There’s a time and a place…. and that wasn’t it. 
You should be supportive, especially if you claim to have a wife who has her own money. That means that you don’t need to give half your budget away to support someone else. There is no need to support a ‘western’ lifestyle on retirement. That’s the point of retirement. You’ve already ‘escaped’. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I’m not old and can see through your straw man arguments…

We are writing about 60k and where. Not “pensioners living on the bare minimum” and veiled insults to a member of the forum. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

Your post doesn’t make much sense at all. 
You are attempting to ‘compare apples with oranges’. 
Most people in the USA, don’t even travel outside their country. For the people who do, most will go as far as Mexico. So I don’t know to which demographic your refer when you write about this western lifestyle that involves travel. This is of course disregarding the fact that they may have already reached their destination in Thailand and don’t feel the need to travel further. Most people travel to get away from their miserable lives and pay a hefty premium for just two weeks of freedom.  That feeling subsides if you move to a place where you might feel happy and contented. So why would you wish to emulate your western lifestyle of trying to escape?

So if you please, explain what you mean by a ‘limited lifestyle’. 

There may be factors that aren't relevant or important to you - maintaining a presence in the home country as I may be half half in each country , health insurance and yes $ on supporting and having fun with my lady. 

It's not about emulating the western life, Thailand life though is pretty capitalist too despite the Buddhist charade for a lot of people, but more about feeling you can be yourself and relax and breathe freely. Possible to do that on all sorts of incomes but having someone suggesting working for a higher income, may lead to better outcomes, is a reasonable proposition in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

iMHO, this type of story has been told many a time. So lets start with "Sure  a person could live a very basic life with 60k baht a month".  However as we know, this is just how it starts.  Pretty soon things change, the living "basic" isn't so "Comfortable" anymore. But this is his life now.  No way back it appears, stuck in a small vacuum. He starts to see other foreigners living better and wants more but again, That's it.  Quite frankly this is why quite a few foreigners take swan dives off condo balconies and end it.  Its all new and exciting when you land but walking everywhere you go, eating at BIG C canteen gets old. Buying last day food products grows old. Not being able to travel around gets old. Walking to the same places seeing the same things every day, gets old.  

And, once again, how's his life going to be any better on $1,666 a month (60,000 baht) in, say, the US?

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

What on earth has the possible income of a working middle class couple got to do with a question of where a retiree could possibly live on 60k monthly?

so what the heck has your wife’s salary and connections have to do with anything to do with the OP?

It has to do plenty, but you refuse to admit it. Retiree mug does not have the connections, does not have a permanent residency, does not have the right to stay, does not have the access to cheap healthcare, does not have the right to subsidized anything like back home. Too funny a grown man would even question this. So my point stands that a retiree on 60k alone will live worse than Thai middle class. But you probably still don't get it and chose to live ingoramus life in Thailand.

And you keep harping how people in Britman live so well. Well, that could be a lie. All we ever saw was the outside of his house, mountains and nature. Thailand is a third.....ehm... developing country. Show me how that 10,000 baht house looks like. Probably a mold infested fire hazard with free cockroach protein. Do you really think people who live here are stupid? Simon returned to UK and himself admitted that he got first class NHS treatment contrary to all the losers that complain about everything back home.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There may be factors that aren't relevant or important to you - maintaining a presence in the home country as I may be half half in each country , health insurance and yes $ on supporting and having fun with my lady. 

It's not about emulating the western life, Thailand life though is pretty capitalist too despite the Buddhist charade for a lot of people, but more about feeling you can be yourself and relax and breathe freely. Possible to do that on all sorts of incomes but having someone suggesting working for a higher income, may lead to better outcomes, is a reasonable proposition in my opinion. 

I honestly don’t know why you are addressing me with regard to this. The question was 60k and where. 
If your advice to him is that 60k isn’t enough for anywhere and that he should keep working to build up his pot, with possibly the added stress leading to a earlier demise, then suggest it to the OP. 
I would think this is a place to recount actual experiences and locations, rather than the vacuous ‘opinions’ that often hold no water and are based on hearsay. 
Of course it depends on the individual. 60k for some might give someone a life beyond their wildest dreams or simply pay the wine bill of another. 
It’s subjective. So it quite disgusting to try to deride and judge someone on their level of income. BMT appears more than happy with what he has. That’s the key to a good life. 
Whereas Celsius might have more than double and be as miserable as a woman scorned. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Celsius said:

It has to do plenty, but you refuse to admit it. Retiree mug does not have the connections, does not have a permanent residency, does not have the right to stay, does not have the access to cheap healthcare, does not have the right to subsidized anything like back home. Too funny a grown man would even question this. So my point stands that a retiree on 60k alone will live worse than Thai middle class. But you probably still don't get it and chose to live ingoramus life in Thailand.

And you keep harping how people in Britman live so well. Well, that could be a lie. All we ever saw was the outside of his house, mountains and nature. Thailand is a third.....ehm... developing country. Show me how that 10,000 baht house looks like. Probably a mold infested fire hazard with free cockroach protein. Do you really think people who live here are stupid? Simon returned to UK and himself admitted that he got first class NHS treatment contrary to all the losers that complain about everything back home.

What you are missing is that people can be content with what they have, whereas others unhappy no matter what they have. The first category will always be the winner… that’s what ‘burns’ you and likely why you keep attacking him. 
He doesn’t need any of the things you mention. 
Hopefully when you do, you’ll settle down and stop your nonsense. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NextG said:

I honestly don’t know why you are addressing me with regard to this. The question was 60k and where. 
If your advice to him is that 60k isn’t enough for anywhere and that he should keep working to build up his pot, with possibly the added stress leading to a earlier demise, then suggest it to the OP. 
I would think this is a place to recount actual experiences and locations, rather than the vacuous ‘opinions’ that often hold no water and are based on hearsay. 
Of course it depends on the individual. 60k for some might give someone a life beyond their wildest dreams or simply pay the wine bill of another. 
It’s subjective. So it quite disgusting to try to deride and judge someone on their level of income. BMT appears more than happy with what he has. That’s the key to a good life. 
Whereas Celsius might have more than double and be as miserable as a woman scorned. 

It's a pity you have to be rude all the time. I have experience in Thailand and know the lifestyle I intend to live in Thailand will cost more and it is worthwhile to work a little bit longer. Accommodation. Food. Travel. Other things mentioned. Not hi so. Not low so.  Somewhere in between.

You think otherwise. Have other priorities. The key point is he is outside Thailand and is asking what people think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2023 at 11:31 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

"no p4p"

Does that mean no girlfriend of wife?

I think in general a reasonable Thai girlfriend helps to save money in Thailand. She will know where the market is, fruits of the season, and many such details.

Obviously a farang can learn such things. But it will take a long time and it will be a lot easier with a girlfriend together.

Got to disagree here.He has got to learn to stand on his own two feet rapido or else the average Thai lady will have him for breakfast.

9 hours ago, newnative said:

Well, here's perhaps a first

Well, here's a reply to your  post even though i don't really believe it deserves one.

There are always going to be people on this forum devoid of any humorous  emotion , maybe down to age, maybe having spent too long with Thai's ( have a child like sense of humour) and just have nothing to do in their life but sit on this forum so they can 'nit pick' peoples reply.

So first and foremost i have no problem admitting that 20million (not sure where that figure came from) was incorrect but my figure of 9.6 million was not

Anyone with any real concept of reality will realise that this was an astounding amount of people that were visiting "the sin city of the world"

I was  there 17 years ago with friend's and  were stunned by the bar after bar after bar (probably 3 sq miles), full of women for hire

Not really been there for 10 years, fleeting visits to family but people i know have and nothing has really changed .

Pattaya may have added sand (recently) to the beaches to try and make them look like a beach but the water is poor and few people swim in it. There are very few children, hardly any in fact, I do not include Thai's but foreign children. Many Thais from Bangkok vacate there and locals are happy to spend time there.

Many expats who need all the comforts of a large city live there for that reason, choosing the darkside for the best of both worlds as you already know

As far as family facilities are concerned Pattaya may have increased facilities like a new  water park but even those are only used by Thai's, adults and expat children. what family facilities it does have, are rarely used by genuine foreign family holidaymakers children as they are few and far between

As much as you would like to make out that Pattaya is now this eutopia of a family holiday destination, what family facilities it does have, are rarely used by genuine foreign family holidaymakers 

Unless there has been a colossal turnaround, Pattaya is still what it always has been, a playground for sexpats, whether you like it or not.

So while my comments may be construed as totally incorrect by yourself, most people are able to put them into context without the need to pick it apart for arguments sake.

Have a nice day doing the same to others as i have now noticed that seems to be your unending  forte on this forum for some sad unknown reason.

11 hours ago, NextG said:

I’ll give you an example. Stuck in during the pandemic, I decided to look at TF to keep up some level of communication. Got chatting to a teacher there and told her about my penchant for honey. She insisted on obtaining the best forest honey from her local province when she went home to visit her parents. Spent 250 baht on it. This without even meeting her. 
I could give more examples…

Just normal. 

How old was she and how old are you? If not willing to say then at least the age gap. I'm guessing the disagreement is raising because you don't need attractive whereas the likes of BM2 does.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

How old was she and how old are you? If not willing to say then at least the age gap. I'm guessing the disagreement is raising because you don't need attractive whereas the likes of BM2 does.

What disagreement? 
There was no disagreement. One was seeking sex and the other love. Where is the disagreement?

We discussed and came to a conclusion.

I’d guess her age at late twenties. 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm out in a moo ban, what does that cost to rent? Assuming no real restaurants, what's my weekly food spend?

How much will Noi want to stick around without a long face? I was talking to an old hippie who was staying by Soppong Cave for 500 baht a day, all in, including a couple of big Changs at sunset.

• Haha 1