Thailand’s firearm frenzy: Tops ASEAN in guns, 13th in global tragedy

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

people found in possession of a firearm without a permit can face a fine of up to 20,000 baht and a prison sentence of up to 10 years

But we also know how Thailand enforces its laws..., so what's the average a convict faces (after reduction by half, and again by half, and a Royal Pardon)?

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Speculation . How do they know how many guns? The Phillipines has many illegal firearms .There are "cottage industries" making black market handguns there, but they say Thailand has the most?  So have  been talking lessons on numbers from TAT ? Australia has had strict gun laws from 1996 and earlier than that for handguns  but the crims have no problem obtaining them.If I remember correctly the cops "guesstimate" there's 250,000 illegal weapons there.

according to https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country Philippines has 7.9/100,000 , Thailand has 3.1/100 000 and Australia 0.91/100,000 So I guess the gun control laws do seem to have an effect on  the number of gun deaths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just ban all guns outside of law enforcement - unless you have problems with rampant elephants nearby.

Order them all be handed in. And make finding one in your possession a 5 years sentence and using one in assault a mandatory life sentence. There is simply no reason for gun ownership in modern and non-crazy society.

Bad idea.  Thailand has lower robbery rates becasue wrongdoers are aware that some individuals may be packing heat for self-defense. Removing guns from the equation could potentially lead to a situation similar to the UK and other countries with stricter firearm regulations, where home invasions and robberies can occur more frequently

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Bad idea.  Thailand has lower robbery rates becasue wrongdoers are aware that some individuals may be packing heat for self-defense. Removing guns from the equation could potentially lead to a situation similar to the UK and other countries with stricter firearm regulations, where home invasions and robberies can occur more frequently

I come from Singapore and the home invasion threats I usually encounter are from creepy crawlies. And how has packing heat helped countries like US? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not related to this case, but I wonder how many of the firearms out there are related to the obviously poor security systems the police and military have in place for weapons security ?

have read of countless cases here over the years where 1 kid has shot another playing with dads unsecured gun at home …

3 hours ago, NemoH said:

It is not the gun problem … if knives were used .. do you ban knives or get people who buy knives be registered?

The Siam gunner was a neglected, mentally abused and totally tortured son of 2 well known professors in a renown local university. The parents refused to turn up even after they were informed of his shooting. His uncle was interviewed in TV .. lamenting that the black sheep gunner was causing problems for everybody… Siam was his ‘place’ since young because he was forced to tuition centres all located in Siam area…so sad for him .. 

if you have parents like these .. you will go mad … and have mental problems too. 

Knives are easier to defend against, no reason to ban.  Banning guns will just make it harder but people will always find a way.

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nonsense. 

Robberies and home burglaries are very common here. Why do you think there are bars on all the windows?

removing firearms from the equation here; it could result in a very bad situation where robbers and crooks illegally obtain firearms, which would leave you with very little self-defense if they were to robb your home. I believe that every individual should have the right to protect their home, and those who unlawfully break into your home should be met with a  gun. if someone  breaks into my home, i see that as a direct threat to my life. 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

removing firearms from the equation here; it could result in a very bad situation where robbers and crooks illegally obtain firearms, which would leave you with very little self-defense if they were to robb your home. I believe that every individual should have the right to protect their home, and those who unlawfully break into your home should be met with a  gun. if someone  breaks into my home, i see that as a direct threat to my life. 

As a foreigner, you are not legally allowed to own a firearm though?

• Thanks 1

Has free gun ownership made US safe? No. It's getting worse...

2024 election may trigger Civil War II

"More than 1,300 children and teens have been killed by guns so far this year.
Firearms are now the No. 1 killer of children and teens in America, having surpassed motor vehicles accidents, which had been the leading cause of death among America’s youth until 2020.  
Just as cars and roads were becoming safer, guns were killing more and more kids in America: Federal data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows the number of gun deaths among US children and teenagers rose 50 percent between 2019 and 2021. But this terrible trendline cannot be articulated through datasets alone."

In the hands of some poorly educated owners (I have experienced this) what can go wrong? Not educated enough to be able to work things out without losing their temper and grabbing a gun or knife (I have experienced this as well and could have lost an arm if I had not been prepared with a big piece of bamboo).

• Love It 1