9 year old thief steals 33,400 baht and evades arrest with child protection law

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai man has sought justice after a nine year old girl stole 33,400 baht from his home in Bangkok’s Nong Khaem district. Despite the young thief confessing to the police, she was not charged due to the child protection law.

The victim, known as Fluke, reached out to the local news Facebook page Drama-addict to share his story with the public. He hopes that doing so will draw the attention of the relevant authorities to the need for a review of laws concerning young offenders.

Fluke revealed that he had fallen victim to the actions of a nine year old girl and possesses substantial evidence to support his claim. However, this evidence has not resulted in any form of punishment for the young perpetrator.

Fluke later gave an interview to Channel 3 and explained the whole story. He explained that the theft happened on the night of March 12 this year but he and his family did not notice the theft until the following day. He checked the security camera in his house and saw the young girl entering his home through a first-floor window.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Drama-addict.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Surely the parents are accountable for the Childs actions ???

Can the victim recover the money from the parents as the child has already confessed ?

------

One has to wonder what kind of household this adolescent kleptomaniac is from  from - is this pure desperation ? or complete parental failure ?...  or perhaps even parental success depending on the moral compass of the parents !!! 

The thought of theft would never cross the mind of most 9 year olds..  I have a 9 year old, I can't imagine theft of anything has ever crossed his mind, although, I'm sure his situation and upbringing are quite different from a poor Thai kid. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One has to wonder what kind of household this adolescent kleptomaniac is from  from - is this pure desperation ? or complete parental failure ?...  or perhaps even parental success depending on the moral compass of the parents !!! 

From the linked Article:

The girl stole only the banknotes and ignored all the coins. She then returned to the first floor and handed the money to someone waiting outside.

An older friend or an adult.

Fluke reported the theft to officers at Nong Khaem Police Station, who later accompanied him to the young thief’s home. The girl admitted to the theft but refused to say where she had hidden the money.

How hard can it be to get that information from a 9 year old ??

Her parents claimed they had no knowledge of the theft and the police were unable to trace the money.

They can if the push the 9 year old thief for an answer. 

Fluke suggested that an adult was behind the theft, as the girl handed the money to someone outside the house. However, there was no clear evidence leading to that person.

There is clear evidence if they question the girl and get that information.

Whatever happened to 'police work' - surely the child can be questioned (in the presence of her parents). 

The parents claim they have no idea, surely they'd want to know who else was involved too. Don't they want to protect their child (or the parents were in on it).

20 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Shouldn't a 9 year old girl be wearing a top?  Looks like she's topless in that picture.

Do flat chested girls not need tops. ????

Do you think that posting about "topless 9-year old girls" and commenting on their chest size is something that a normal person would do particularly as the one in question was not topless?

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or all of the above.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Shouldn't a 9 year old girl be wearing a top?  Looks like she's topless in that picture.

Do flat chested girls not need tops. ????

No, not in Thailand, I see plenty in rural areas, what's to see, go down to any local swimming hole, also it seems young boys can go wondering around completely naked here in the sticks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you think that posting about "topless 9-year old girls" and commenting on their chest size is something that a normal person would do particularly as the one in question was not topless?

The picture quality is bad. I assumed it was the shirtless victim. Looking

again and trying to estimate the size of the figure from the assumed height of the window from the floor, I am not convinced that is a nine-year old girl.

The poster could be making the same assumption yet you attack him.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Typo

38 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

When growing up, I was told the age of reason was seven.

They lied to you. People mature at different rates. Does everyone reach puberty at the same time? I addressed it my response. "She's a nine year old child and has not reached her age of reason." i.e I referred to her age of reason, not any old age of reason

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Sounds like a really good law to me. She's a nine year old child and has not reached her age of reason. 

Ask any 9 year old the in world if theft is right or wrong and you'll have answers of an overwhelming majority. 

9 years old is well beyond the age where a moral compass is of questionable maturity and questionable common sense.

5 hours ago, khunpeer said:

in such cases the parents should be responsible, no?

after all this 9 yrs old child couldn't do such a thing if properly raised in a balanced family!

What a place this is, what a place.....

Kids are protected by a 'Young offender law', and the adults, by a 'Defamation law'.

Someone here has to do something about this....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

The picture quality is bad. I assumed it was the shirtless victim. Looking

again and trying to estimate the size of the figure from the assumed height of the window from the floor, I am not convinced that is a nine-year old girl.

"I am not convinced that is a nine-year old girl".

Watching the security video that was also in the full OP would have cleared that up for you!  Whether you are convinced that it is the girl or not is neither here nor there.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Protecting a child against the consequences of committing a crime? Sounds like a broken system to me. This is why most countries have juvenile courts and jails. Lock her up. 

Most western countries have a minimum age of criminal responsibility. In the UK it's 10, In the US it varies by state, but in federal cases it is 11. I don't know the age limit in Thailand.

Children under that age are presumed to not fully understand the difference between right and wrong.

Juvenile courts deal with juveniles who are above the minimum age.