Thailand tackles delivery rider accidents with defensive driving training

webfact

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That puts delivery riders at 0.14% of road fatalities...   potentially placing them in the safest demographic !!! (although I suspect the stats provided in the article are flawed).

Unless we know what percentage of total m/c riders they comprise, it's not possible to draw that conclusion.

For example, if delivery riders comprise 0.014% of total riders (I've no idea) then they would be 10x more likely to be killed than the average rider.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year, a total of 81 delivery riders suffered road accidents in Thailand, leading to 28 fatalities and 36 severe injuries.

The way in which most of these Food delivery Drivers / Riders deliver their food,, I am sure these are the  numbers for last week alone

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Defensive Driving training?

They drive as if they're in a computer simulation and endanger everyone around them.....they surely cant have driving licences. They are a danger and a menace to everyone else on the road. 

Just put a speed limiter on the bikes - it'll save lives, cut down on needless A&E visits and save a lot of suffereing. 

Then all the pizzas and coffees will be 

C.O.A. (cold on arrival). Not condoning the delivery system but by limiting their speed it will restrict their income and increase the chances of customers refusing to pay for cold food. Having said that Thais are built for speed and they have no idea how to drive slowly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

Defensive driving class is over. 

Just have to add, anticipation is key to defensive driving. If you assume that the guy in front of you is liable to chuck a left or right without any warning at any moment, just hang back that extra 5 m. Might save your life. And watch for the mobile phone user. Erratic braking and steering as they look up and down from their screens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Just have to add, anticipation is key to defensive driving. If you assume that the guy in front of you is liable to chuck a left or right without any warning at any moment, just hang back that extra 5 m. Might save your life. And watch for the mobile phone user. Erratic braking and steering as they look up and down from their screens.

That 5m gap we leave, was just done, so Mr. Somchai can get his car into it. 

Ring a bell. :giggle:

Edited by quake

4 hours ago, leither69 said:

There's an old saying "in one ear and out the other"

Made some much easier when there is nothing between the ears to slow down the message.

As to motorcycle taxi drivers, the RTPs new 'Quick Win' is modelled on their behaviour.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Add content

Every bus driver, taxi, moped taxi and delivery driver should have to pass a defensive driving exam every 6mo! I sit in a car 6 hours a day dropping off and picking up my kids from school. What do I see every single day. A accident involving a taxi, or a taxi moped. Sometimes a bus but usually if a bus is involved it was a bus and a frigging TAXI!  The Taxi car drivers do not pay attention to anything and drive recklessly all the time.

Get them off the roads they are a menace to everyone. Make all drivers be licensed and trained and make sure the company owners like Uber, Grab etc are held accountable for bad driving. There guys are incentivised to drive like maniacs by their conditions of service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai people are simply not intended to be drivers of motor vehicles. There's something in the DNA which causes them to behave irrationally given their usual nature.

We all know Thai time, people arriving 30 minutes late, not arriving at all, canceling last minute etc... but no one seems to care. I'd say in general they're very comfortable with things not being on time.

Now put them behind the wheel and they're willing to take any risk to get to their destination 1 minute faster, even if that means killing their entire family and the guy in the other car. 

How does any of this make any sense?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sombat noted that the courses would cover crucial areas such as traffic law, mental preparedness, fatigue management, risk assessment, and solutions for both expected and unexpected situations. The aim of these training sessions is to increase safety awareness and encourage rider networks to propagate safe driving practices.

And no actual road practical? It will just be somebody spouting what sounds good. Rubbish. 

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thai people are simply not intended to be drivers of motor vehicles. There's something in the DNA which causes them to behave irrationally given their usual nature.

We all know Thai time, people arriving 30 minutes late, not arriving at all, canceling last minute etc... but no one seems to care. I'd say in general they're very comfortable with things not being on time.

Now put them behind the wheel and they're willing to take any risk to get to their destination 1 minute faster, even if that means killing their entire family and the guy in the other car. 

How does any of this make any sense?

It doesn't, and you wrote it.

• Confused 1

Get real guys. You don’t know why this was set up? Let me explain. The organizers do things like this for themselves meaning patting each other on the back for the beautiful PowerPoint presentations, chance to have free lunch at a hotel, beef up their resume for a promotion, etc. mc taxi or delivery is Mafia run so any changes will come from mafia bosses not government. Those changes are not beneficial to Mafia businesses so can’t be implemented. 

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's perhaps less about that and more about effective enforcement of existing traffic laws. 

But, as mentioned above, if there are only 81 accidents in a year involving delivery riders, there is hardly any cause for concern whatsoever. 

There is no enforcement of traffic laws here. When is the last time you witnessed someone getting pulled over for reckless driving, improper lane change, or cutting in front of a fast moving vehicle? The police do not patrol the roads and the fairly useless highway patrol adamantly refuse to patrol the highways. It is a free for all, and there is very little in the way of any sort of deterrent, other than the tickets in the mail, which I throw into the bin. 

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When is the last time you witnessed someone getting pulled over

On the Chonburi Motorway. Usually for uncovered load.

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

improper lane change,

My friend from Laos got a ticket on the 1st Stage expressway in BKK for crossing a solid line and hatching when exiting. Policeman on a motorcycle.  

39 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

On the Chonburi Motorway. Usually for uncovered load.

My friend from Laos got a ticket on the 1st Stage expressway in BKK for crossing a solid line and hatching when exiting. Policeman on a motorcycle.  

Yes, but it is very rare. And they focus on trucks, not cars or bikes. The highway patrol should be patrolling the highways. Seems like a simple enough concept. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The highway patrol should be patrolling the highways.

That requires tax money. But don't worry they will be collecting that from us soon.????

Or they could collect on the spot fines but that seems unpopular.

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

That requires tax money. But don't worry they will be collecting that from us soon.????

Or they could collect on the spot fines but that seems unpopular.

Unpopular among the cops who likely use those spot fines to buy another condo, or Mercedes. 

On 10/7/2023 at 9:39 AM, webfact said:

Kongkarn pointed out that both delivery riders and motorcycle taxi drivers show a deficiency in traffic risk assessment skills, indicating a pressing need for defensive driving training to help reduce road accidents.

In my experience living and riding bike in Bangkok most motorcycle-taxi riders know what they are doing.

And many delivery drivers just drive like crazy and/or idiots.

And many delivery riders try to ride while they use mobile phones.

Could the situation be improved? Sure. If the traffic police would do their jobs. But I don't remember seeing the cops stopping any riders who use their phones, ignore red lights, or drive otherwise like maniacs.

How does anybody expect that the situation will get better if the police do nothing? 

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my experience living and riding bike in Bangkok most motorcycle-taxi riders know what they are doing.

And many delivery drivers just drive like crazy and/or idiots.

And many delivery riders try to ride while they use mobile phones.

Could the situation be improved? Sure. If the traffic police would do their jobs. But I don't remember seeing the cops stopping any riders who use their phones, ignore red lights, or drive otherwise like maniacs.

How does anybody expect that the situation will get better if the police do nothing? 

I think if you're a delivery driver, you're under intense pressure from the customer and whoever it is you work for, to deliver fast. The more jobs you can do in a day, the more you earn. I try and keep out of their way. They have a job to do. It's dangerous and badly paid, but a last resort for extra cash for many, I imagine.