Is kindness something that works in life

bignok

Most folk tales and most religions say so. 

Let's put it another way ; if you lived your life being unkind to people, what would you expect to happen? Would you feel good about yourself? Would you expect other people to help you when things fall apart? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I thought @digger70 was referring to the existence of God and Hell in responding to another poster's statement.

I've never had a religious experience, although I understand they are available if one consumes psilocybin or LSD.

Then I obviously misunderstood @digger70. Nothing about God and Hell here although to your beliefs as I know it you would make a connection to *religions*. And by the way "religions" have nothing to do with the drugs you mention. Even not with Ayahuasca I think. Religions are for the benefit of people and to promote understanding. Nothing about some Creator God. There are other more serious and more subtle teachings. Psylocybin or LSD make ultimately more confuse than promote a correct understanding of the world. Timothy Leary, pls. forgive me, but the confused and half-knowledge times are over.

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Give out to receive back they say. Does it work? I havent found it to be true. Some people just take.

What do you think?

If you give purely so you will get something back then dont give. If you give because you want to then fine give. Dont look for a pay back, if anything the payback should be the knowledge you have helped someone

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, bignok said:

Give out to receive back they say. Does it work? I havent found it to be true. Some people just take.

What do you think?

It doesn't work that way all the time. "No good deed goes unpunished." has happened to me many times. I've learned that you can be kind but also be vigilant of the leeches, crocodiles and sharks that surround you. ????????????‍♀️

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, bignok said:

What do you think?

Sadly, above saying, in my experience, is less and less true. There are more and more bitter people with grudges and mental problems around, so, ideally yes, but don't expect to receive kindness back...

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

...... assuming god and hell exist.

The belief that they do is all that is necessary to take the "Faithful" though life in a state of anticipatory bliss, knowing that their good deeds will be rewarded with resurrection and the life eternal, with God, in paradise.

That is the payoff for the Faithful who resolutely and wholeheartedly practice kindness and compassion ("Metta" in Buddhism).......happiness now because they know that they have something better to come.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I thought @digger70 was referring to the existence of God and Hell in responding to another poster's statement.

I've never had a religious experience, although I understand they are available if one consumes psilocybin or LSD.

Also available if you are a schizophrenic who fails to take their anti-psychotic medication.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

...... assuming god and hell exist.

You create it for yourself to a certain extent. This is why I challenge your thinking from time to time. When you suggest that everything is bad and no one can be trusted. 
Now transpose that into a place where you are surrounded by snakes; liars and deceivers etc. Contrast that with a place where everyone is kind, does their best, trusts each other…

If you can create and live in the latter, you are closer to heaven. Don’t give up on good. Good doesn’t mean perfect. You just have to be good and kind. I believe that you are. 

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

You create it for yourself to a certain extent. This is why I challenge your thinking from time to time. When you suggest that everything is bad and no one can be trusted. 
Now transpose that into a place where you are surrounded by snakes; liars and deceivers etc. Contrast that with a place where everyone is kind, does their best, trusts each other…

If you can create and live in the latter, you are closer to heaven. Don’t give up on good. Good doesn’t mean perfect. You just have to be good and kind. I believe that you are. 

You are a wonderful being

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

Then I obviously misunderstood @digger70. Nothing about God and Hell here although to your beliefs as I know it you would make a connection to *religions*. And by the way "religions" have nothing to do with the drugs you mention. Even not with Ayahuasca I think. Religions are for the benefit of people and to promote understanding. Nothing about some Creator God. There are other more serious and more subtle teachings. Psylocybin or LSD make ultimately more confuse than promote a correct understanding of the world. Timothy Leary, pls. forgive me, but the confused and half-knowledge times are over.

I am not sure how one can rationalize away the fact religions have killed and harmed millions of people, with Hamas providing the latest example. IIRC, the Russian Orthodox Church supports the war in Ukraine.

Edited by Lacessit

Yes, many people just take. Hence it is a little bit like fishing in a big pond but you find out very soon, if they are only on the take or not. Having said that, do not give up - in the long run you will see things clearer which will help you to take the next decisions - worked for me! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

Most folk tales and most religions say so. 

Let's put it another way ; if you lived your life being unkind to people, what would you expect to happen? Would you feel good about yourself? Would you expect other people to help you when things fall apart? 

I was kind to the two women I lived with, but that didn't stop them taking me for everything they could get.

There's nothing wrong with being kind... BUT, we have to be 'careful with our kindness' for some mistake kindness for weakness and attempt to take advantage.

When someone attempts to take advantage of our kindness and we put our foot down, the tables suddenly gets turned and what would have been our kindness gets interpreted as being mean. 

I often have to point out... 'don't force me to become the person I don't want to be'... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am not sure how one can rationalize away the fact religions have killed and harmed millions of people, with Hamas providing the latest example. IIRC, the Russian Orthodox Church supports the war in Ukraine.

Correct statement. A lot of harm has been made in the name of religions. Even from Buddhists. Jainism may be the most peaceful religion of all. I am a Lay Tibetan Mahayana Buddhist. This does not contradict the fact that all religions (I am actually not so sure about the Muslims) are there for one purpose: To be of benefit for the people. At least this is the idea. One should distinguish between the teaching and the people who act in its name. The latter may include some black sheep who do not even understand the religion in which name they act. And some teachings may be simply erronneous.

Especially for you as a scientist the following short slip from YouTube might be interesting. No, its nothing sectarian - just a very entertaining speech of Sam Harris with the title "Science can answer moral questions". You might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Correct statement. A lot of harm has been made in the name of religions. Even from Buddhists. Jainism may be the most peaceful religion of all. I am a Lay Tibetan Mahayana Buddhist. This does not contradict the fact that all religions (I am actually not so sure about the Muslims) are there for one purpose: To be of benefit for the people. At least this is the idea. One should distinguish between the teaching and the people who act in its name. The latter may include some black sheep who do not even understand the religion in which name they act. And some teachings may be simply erronneous.

Especially for you as a scientist the following short slip from YouTube might be interesting. No, its nothing sectarian - just a very entertaining speech of Sam Harris with the title "Science can answer moral questions". You might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

I did find it interesting, thanks.

Scientists have their own morality. Plagiarism and data falsification are the cardinal sins in science.

So do golfers. Getting caught cheating at golf is a guarantee of ostracism.

Perhaps one day science will find an answer to the sociopaths and psychopaths who seem to be present in many  institutions, including religion.

I do reject the notion religions have a lock on morality, atheists and agnostics are quite capable of developing their own ethics independently.