Cigarette Price Hike Sparks Surge in Illicit Trade

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The hike, however, has not been well-received by the smoking populace. Retailers and street surveys reveal a visible pivot towards illicit, untaxed cigarettes, which are 2-3 times cheaper and increasingly available not only in the southern regions but also in Bangkok and its vicinities

Queue the illegal cigs coming in from Cambodia

9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I am all for people who want to smoke pay higher prices same in the 

UK ????

Nearly £10 per pack 

If not for those people paying the high tax 

The Government would be looking else where to recover the tax lost 

Maybe a rise in Alcohol prices ????

£10 a pack in the UK ? Try nearly £15.

As a self-loathing smoker, they should tax the hell out of it!! That's the easiest way to get us to quit !!

The downside is that over time there will be less smokers which equates to less tax and people liveing longer so more pensions are paid out. I suppose they'll go for the motorist even MORE now to make up the deficit.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

£10 a pack in the UK ? Try nearly £15.

As a self-loathing smoker, they should tax the hell out of it!! That's the easiest way to get us to quit !!

The downside is that over time there will be less smokers which equates to less tax and people liveing longer so more pensions are paid out. I suppose they'll go for the motorist even MORE now to make up the deficit.

Golden Virginia tobacco is now  £34 for a 50 gram pouch . Many in the UK now vaping but come to Thailand with your vape is risky as a foreigner but not Thai folk  . Thai vape laws set up to extract funds from foreigners and not for health reasons .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

The tax shortfall will probably be made up by green taxes, that's why the lies are being pushed so heavily by the doomsday cultists and climate alarmists.

I think the better solution for Thailand would be to legalize and tax vaping. It is far less harmful than tobacco and in my case actually enabled me to quit smoking (cigs and vapes) altogether. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The tax shortfall will probably be made up by green taxes, that's why the lies are being pushed so heavily by the doomsday cultists and climate alarmists.

I think the better solution for Thailand would be to legalize and tax vaping. It is far less harmful than tobacco and in my case actually enabled me to quit smoking (cigs and vapes) altogether. 

Exactly and that is why the Thai gov; will not legalize vaping i.e. people stop smoking = loss of taxes to the gov;  and revenue to the tobacco industry VIPs in Thailand . 

Where I am most of the locals smoke roll ups ,you can still get a small pack of Black Cat tobacco for a few baht,it is locally grown tobacco.

Back in the UK, I know people who roll they own ,never buy it in the UK ,know someone who buys it across the channel,truck drivers, and sell it on,bit like what the op said.  

4 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

How much tax revenue does the UK raise from cigs!

Google is your friend.

Tobacco duty receipts held up well relative to the large pandemic-related fall in GDP in 2020-21, standing at £9.8 billion and reaching £10.2 and £10.0 billion in 2021-22 and 2022-23, respectively. About 1.25% of total revenue collected.