Why rich foreigners like me are spending much less in Thailand

16 hours ago, bobbin said:

I had the opposite experience just 2 days ago..

Seller showed as packed for 2 days so i sent a direct message to the seller. "Why so slow?"

Received a quick response.. "out of stock"

I initiated a refund request. The refund was posted to my Lazada Wallet by the end of the day.

Good for you.

Just to be clear, somebody (I don't know if it was you or not, can't be bothered to check) suggested that you are safe making purchases from official stores in Lazada.

I provided anecdotal evidence refuting this claim based on my own personal experience.

That you had a different experience doesn't alter the experience I had, and therefore doesn't dispel the conclusion that it is, in fact, not always safe when you are using official storefronts.

I'm not saying that customer service is generally bad (I've mostly had good experiences). I'm just saying that I did have an incident that after months has not been resolved, and that incident did happen with a purchase made though an official store.

Incidentally what steps did you take to initiate the refund request? The only method I can find is via the chat. If there's a button somewhere that I can click which will start the process without having to deal with support staff, maybe I'd have better luck.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Someone who claims to be so wealthy and who could therefore live anywhere in the word chooses to live in a lawless and corrupt-to-the-core country with generally poor infrastructure? Come on! I suppose though you could be both very rich and insane.

I know quite a few very rich people who live happily in Thailand.

Are you an economical refugee?

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:
21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Someone who claims to be so wealthy and who could therefore live anywhere in the word chooses to live in a lawless and corrupt-to-the-core country with generally poor infrastructure? Come on! I suppose though you could be both very rich and insane.

I know quite a few very rich people who live happily in Thailand.

Are you an economical refugee?

It just baffles me that anyone would consider Thailand to be the best country in the world and the one to settle in when they could live anywhere. Buy each to their own.

And to answer your question, no. I'm here because my wife is Thai and I want her to be near to her family. We all have to make a sacrifice or two, and that one has kept us married for well over 30 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It just baffles me that anyone would consider Thailand to be the best country in the world and the one to settle in when they could live anywhere. Buy each to their own.

And to answer your question, no. I'm here because my wife is Thai and I want her to be near to her family. We all have to make a sacrifice or two, and that one has kept us married for well over 30 years.

You can have a great life in Thailand as everything good is available. Certain things will cost more than other places but when having a lot of money this is not a problem. The people I know with money, do travel a lot outside the country.

I do understand the family part, have the same thing. 

32 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can have a great life in Thailand as everything good is available. Certain things will cost more than other places but when having a lot of money this is not a problem. The people I know with money, do travel a lot outside the country.

I do understand the family part, have the same thing. 

I would add that I know or know of (wife's friends) something like 10 Thais who, for one reason or another, have gone to live overseas. And not one of them wants to return to their own country after seeing what the outside world is like in comparison. Not one. That says a lot.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I would add that I know or know of (wife's friends) something like 10 Thais who, for one reason or another, have gone to live overseas. And not one of them wants to return to their own country after seeing what the outside world is like in comparison. Not one. That says a lot.

I used to live in Amsterdam, quite a big Thai community there and indeed most don't want to return.

From what they told me there are several reasons:

1) They build a completely new life in the new country (kids who go to local schools, have a good paying job, own a business). 

2) Don't want to be bothered by family popping in with money requests.

3) After a long stay away, then coming back for a holiday / funeral / ... a lot has changed. Friends moved on, old memories where either not good or won't match the reality anymore. 

I know a few who came back but that was mostly after a short stay because they couldn't settle (weather, being alone in a house in the middle of nowhere while husband was working all the time). One guy sold his 2 restaurants and retired in Phuket.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same here. i know at least 10 restaurant workers in San Antonio, Texas who said the same thing. There was no way they would return here because of the lack of freedom, the dangerous roads, suppression by Thai men, corrupt leaders and police, working all day for the same money they get in an hour there, much more to do, and that Isaan was very boring. My girlfriend here talks to three that live in the states, Belgium and Sweden. They also said for her to leave Thailand, which is part of my plan. She has no idea besides what I and they have told her, but she is afraid of the dark unknown, although living here is killing her heart, as she knows the backstabbing gossip that goes on daily here, that women don't make real friends, just those that need them temporarily and talk about her behind her back. Sadly hard to convince some to take that step, to leave what they've known all their lives, even if it's been rough.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Same here. i know at least 10 restaurant workers in San Antonio, Texas who said the same thing. There was no way they would return here 

But these are low socio-economic thai folks who are probably now experiencing a massive life upgrade ...courtesy of partner, of course.

I love thailand for its social aspects - chatting with the locals so easily is something not many places can offer.

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Arrogant, boasting, for sure. Fake maybe.

Maybe you should reflect back to the time you were poor.

Money changed your mind setting and you became a snob.

or are you projecting that because thats what you think you'd turn into....

Regardless of how other people having money makes you feel, the Ops criticisms are valid....   You may not understand that if you are don't have similar spending power or don't wish make any higher end purchases... such as a house, higher end car, luxury items etc....

2 hours ago, noobexpat said:

But these are low socio-economic thai folks who are probably now experiencing a massive life upgrade ...courtesy of partner, of course.

I love thailand for its social aspects - chatting with the locals so easily is something not many places can offer.

Wasn't a problem for 62 years in the states. No problem starting a conversation with anyone. Some were stuck up , being rich, but that's everywhere. If you can't speak Thai, you can't chat with the locals. Those Thai's I spoke to and know back home aren't staying there just because of the money but for the reasons I listed. Many get divorced but still stay there.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Wasn't a problem for 62 years in the states. No problem starting a conversation with anyone. Some were stuck up , being rich, but that's everywhere. If you can't speak Thai, you can't chat with the locals. Those Thai's I spoke to and know back home aren't staying there just because of the money but for the reasons I listed. Many get divorced but still stay there.

Maybe USA is better for you ...but you ain't finding a girlfriend 30 years younger there ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm just the opposite, 3 weeks in the US and can't wait to return to my kick back life in Thailand.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Same here. i know at least 10 restaurant workers in San Antonio, Texas who said the same thing. There was no way they would return here because of the lack of freedom, the dangerous roads, suppression by Thai men, corrupt leaders and police, working all day for the same money they get in an hour there, much more to do, and that Isaan was very boring. My girlfriend here talks to three that live in the states, Belgium and Sweden. They also said for her to leave Thailand, which is part of my plan. She has no idea besides what I and they have told her, but she is afraid of the dark unknown, although living here is killing her heart, as she knows the backstabbing gossip that goes on daily here, that women don't make real friends, just those that need them temporarily and talk about insights on this website. Sadly hard to convince some to take that step, to leave what they've known all their lives, even if it's been rough.

Yeah when people live in their homeland and even if things are not so good there, they are attached to it by heart and I can understand it. But if they go abroad and see that it is possible to live MUCH better... then that's it, this person will never (or almost never) return. 

Edited by PojaCo

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A sad reflection of America today, then.

Oh well this is not the first time I have heard from Americans that they do not like life in America. One of the reasons is the huge influence of liberals, which is clearly not to everyone's liking... Although I think it's not just about that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good chat but was hoping for more about the predicament of trying to spend a lot of money in Thailand.

I was excited when I got here about the prospect of staying a 5 star hotel of $200. But that's really more like $450.  And when I did, it was not like staying in an upscale hotel in the west: passable buffet, decent, not great, in-house restaurant. Very slow service.

$200 gets you a luxury hotel for Chinese people, which is fine, but if I'm going down that route, I'd prefer to be among the Japanese, if only for the dining. Always ultra-strict check in times with the J's, tho.

I've found $100 a night in BKK to be the best luxury to comfort ratio. I like The Icon and The Bless Residence along Suk Road.

Beyond that level, the headache factor outweighs the luxury factor. I don't need a bathtub in my room with a picture window so I can wave to people laying on the bed on the other side.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

or are you projecting that because thats what you think you'd turn into....

Regardless of how other people having money makes you feel, the Ops criticisms are valid....   You may not understand that if you are don't have similar spending power or don't wish make any higher end purchases... such as a house, higher end car, luxury items etc....

I cant tell, wonder what it would do to me if I had, lets say, a billion $.

But it is pathetic if you cant buy a snack from 7/11. Then your brains  definite are having a problem.

He mentioned tipping and his classes of tipping, what a nit.

Whining, complaining as you have pockets full of money,

Oh, I buy something on lazada and it is not good, boohoo. Well welcome to the world.

Buy something or not and just deal with it in a normal way.

You saw the viral movie of rich Chinese? Slapping a sales woman, as she was not pleased.

Or for that matter Will Smith( not buying), hitting Chris Rock over nothing? Changed mentality.

If you are that rich in Thailand, have a flight to Singapore and shop until you drop dead. Then you are among your "own people" with the shops especially for you, rich ones.

Today red Ecclestone had to pay 775 million euro on tax, after hiding it and didnt pay tax. The amount was an agreement to avoid jail time.

You can, high on drugs and booze, murder a police officer and just run away, they let you.

A president forget about a murder, as he needs oil for his country.

You should, at least I think, feel privileged if you do have a lot of money, but then whining and acting bad? No, get a grip on yourself.

Can you donate me a billion $, so i can find out what it does to me? 

OP, I thought you posted an interesting, thought-provoking issue; however, this forum is not good for that kind of post. You see, the old, grumpy no-lifers here just like to crap all over anyone who tries to post anything serious, especially if you give any hints that you have or want something they do not have.  I don't have an alternative forum to recommend but don't be discouraged by the negative whiny retirees and broke blokes who are ridiculing you for your post.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1