Srettha invites Putin to visit Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Driven by the national interest, of which prosperity is obviously a part. There's nothing wrong with that. America does the same, as do most other sovereign nations. 

America is not perfect  but does draw some lines in the sand. Thailand would sleep with the devil if the price was right.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

America is not perfect  but does draw some lines in the sand. Thailand would sleep with the devil if the price was right.

America draws lines in the sand, does it indeed? Where might they be then?

Thailand is benign in comparison to the US: Thailand doesn't go stomping around the world starting pointless and devastating wars in other people's countries; it doesn't try to impose its culture on others; it minds its own business; it preserves its culture and isn't ashamed of its history; it values the family and community; it tries to be friends with all countries in the world, recognising nuances in international relations; it respects its elders and values its religion; it isn't ashamed to be patriotic without being xenophobic. The list goes on.

You're spot on in saying that America isn't perfect. Quite the opposite. 

Edited by sidneybear
  • Confused 1

Whilst being neutral may have benefits it would be nice to see a Thai leader leading by example with real morals but looking at global leaders not too many display that quality, obviously "Shrek", the talking donkey falls in that category!

On 10/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, proton said:

I thought Putin was a wanted war crimes offender with an international arrest warrant out on him? Does Thailand not respect international law.

Is there an international law, doesn't seem so as far as Thailand is concerned, but that's normal as being the "hub" of everything it doesn't apply here. 

It's getting worse. Khaosod quotes from a speech Srettha gave in China today: "It is like the saying that China and Thailand are not far from being siblings, but I would like to confirm that China is the elder brother. I hope this visit will lead to positive results for tourism, including increased visa exemption."

Everybody still happy with the election results???

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

America draws lines in the sand, does it indeed? Where might they be then?

Thailand is benign in comparison to the US: Thailand doesn't go stomping around the world starting pointless and devastating wars in other people's countries; it doesn't try to impose its culture on others; it minds its own business; it preserves its culture and isn't ashamed of its history; it values the family and community; it tries to be friends with all countries in the world, recognising nuances in international relations; it respects its elders and values its religion; it isn't ashamed to be patriotic without being xenophobic. The list goes on.

You're spot on in saying that America isn't perfect. Quite the opposite. 

Whilst there is some truth in what you say I feel your knowledge of Thailand is somewhat limited or maybe a little naive!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's getting worse. Khaosod quotes from a speech Srettha gave in China today: "It is like the saying that China and Thailand are not far from being siblings, but I would like to confirm that China is the elder brother. I hope this visit will lead to positive results for tourism, including increased visa exemption."

Everybody still happy with the election results???

If the election results had been honored and Pita hadn’t been railroaded so he couldn’t become PM, then probably yes. With Shretta (i.e. Thaksin) at the helm, not so much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Oh come off it. I'm Thai. Are you?

Thai's know very little about world history,  its not taught in schools, thais know very little about world wars, thats why thais do not know its wrong to walk about covered in Nazi symbols,  there are many other examples of disgraceful behaviour, it is becuse you have limited knowledge, Thai WW2 history is not taught in schools as thais would be ashamed

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

If the election results had been honored and Pita hadn’t been railroaded so he couldn’t become PM, then probably yes. With Shretta (i.e. Thaksin) at the helm, not so much. 

Thailand being foolish again  Pita was Naive but far better than this guy

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand did voted in favor of UN Resolution to condemn Russia invasion of Ukraine. Very clear lines being drawn. 

• Confused 1

On 10/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, retarius said:

I suppose as usual I am out of the mainstream step. I fully support Putin, I think he is the world's leading statesman who makes Biden look like a village idiot. I think his war in Ukraine is entirely justified and when he meets his maker (if there is a maker) he'll come out just fine. The Lavrov/Putin team is exceptional, no diplomatically phrased lies just cold hard facts about the US that the propagandised west cannot understand. Ask one of your friends what are the rules od "rules based order". No one knows, they have never been discussed, agreed or published from any forum.

Then look at the back-ups. The west better hope that Putin doesn't get sick because Medvedev will finish the war in two days (OK a bit shorter that Donald Trump will???????). The Russian have leadership in depth and the west has, well Rushi, or Emmanuel Napoleon, or Scholz, or god forbid, Biden and Blinken.

Lost you on 'I think...'  because obviously you don't.   Completely  h-u-y-a

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pathetic but maybe makes some business sense.

in free market manufacturing competition etc Thailand are being unsurprisingly spanked by likes of Vietnam and Malaysia 

so maybe trying to corner the china and Russian markets might pay some dividends…time will tell 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, transam said:

Perhaps he's going to arrest him.........................🤣

The ICC would expect an arrest of a Head of State be made by the Head of State which is not PM Srettha.

Thailand is a kingdom.

The legality of such an arrest has never been tested, memorialized with ICC principles or successfully prosecuted despite decades of discussion.

My impression is that a majority of the international community of states are reluctant to endorse arrest of a Head of State which might become more a political act than criminal prosecution. 

Disgusting but not at all surprising - after all Thailand and Russia have a few things in common:

Fake democracy.

Huge corruption.

Opposition often locked up on fake charges.

Maybe he wants to learn how to murder disidents living in exile abroad and get away with it?

Either this guy is stupid or he doesn't care that Putin is subject to an international arrest warrant and has no intention of carrying out any such arrest.

The PM needs to think long and hard if this is a serious invitation, Thailand is already on thin ice over assisting Chinese companies to re-locate to Thailand to avoid sanctions.  A visit by Putin and no arrest would very likely result in those sanctions being transferred to Thailand with a few more banged on top as a punishment.

Thailand - always trying to ride 2 horses.

However, top and botton of it - I doubt Putin will take a chance and accept the invitation with the price on his head.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The ICC would expect an arrest of a Head of State be made by the Head of State which is not PM Srettha.

Thailand is a kingdom.

The legality of such an arrest has never been tested, memorialized with ICC principles or successfully prosecuted despite decades of discussion.

My impression is that a majority of the international community of states are reluctant to endorse arrest of a Head of State which might become more a political act than criminal prosecution. 

there will be no arrest Thailand has Not ratified  the rome ageement nor will they becuase if they did the ICC will go after Thaskin for war crimes

5 hours ago, thisisrascal said:

PTI but such obvious BS needs calling out.

There’ll be a more equal playing field but in the main, the US, Europe and other Western aligned nations will still rule supreme. China is going to go through an almighty demographic crisis, Russia is already going through one that’s set to get worse. That’s not to forget that China already has its designs for Russia and wants its eastern territories, with its abundant natural resources, back. They will strike at a time when it makes the most sense, which will be when Russia has a power vacuum through the natural (or unnatural) demise of Putin. 

The only current and prospective BRICS nation that I’d be willing to put money on in the long term is India, but there’s one trump (not him 555) card that the west can play, and should do, that will dwarf BRICS. 

India indeed is out to be the next superpower and reliable geopolitical and commercial partner. I only can agree with that.

The rest on your comment is up to you, but I'm afraid it may work perhaps in Disneyland but not in the future of reality.

2 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Thai's know very little about world history,  its not taught in schools, thais know very little about world wars, thats why thais do not know its wrong to walk about covered in Nazi symbols,  there are many other examples of disgraceful behaviour, it is becuse you have limited knowledge, Thai WW2 history is not taught in schools as thais would be ashamed

So why do you live in Thailand then? Why do you hang around this forum, if you feel so superior to a country that welcomes you as its guest? Go home.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

‘It doesn’t try to impose its culture on others’: I’m pretty sure the hill tribes up north and other minorities in Thailand would strongly disagree with you.

‘It tries to be friends with all countries in the world, recognizing nuances in international relations’: Being friends with oppressive and murderous regimes like those in Myanmar and Russia, to name but a few, is not something to be proud of.

‘It isn’t ashamed to be patriotic, without being xenophobic’ : You claim to be Thai, so you should know that many Thai look down on foreigners. When something bad happens, the knee jerk reaction is often to either blame the foreigners directly, or say that a Thai could not have done that. Even Anutin, as then health minister, made some very questionable claims and remarks, and he was by far not the only one among the Thai cabinet members.

Thais only look down on foreigners who are miserable losers. Foreigners with a positive attitude are respected just as people with a positive attitude are respected anywhere else. 

All the foreigners I've seen who look down on Thailand are unsuccessful in their work or personal lives, but they're incapable of looking in the mirror and being honest with themselves. 

Such people stick around nevertheless. They should go home, but they know they'd be even worse off if they did so.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Confused 1

If people would read, step back and take a broad view of what is going on in Thailand, they would see what is going on.

The days of misdirection by China and others is Over.  Thailand was just taking its cue's from China on how to set up a government to appease the West.

Thailand has been saying for Years what they wanted, and are putting it in action. It is no secret what so ever.  

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1