Tightest Thai budget

bignok

Pretty sure that's more than we 'need' to spend, when home.  Many months don't spend that much.

BUT ... we own house, car & scooter, have solar, so 3 of the biggest monthly bills for us don't exist.

Internet ... < 1400

electric if any ... < 200

water .. < 200

car ins ... < 1000

healthcare ,,. < 2000 

... ball park average w/full check up yearly

Food ... < 15k, probably 10k ish, that eating good, 90% at home

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

I'm now at 80-100K a month average, partying and traveling at absolute minimum. But I actually started with just 20-30K a month over a decade ago as a then not existing term 'digital nomad' in Chiang Mai.

I rented a 2K a month room with green / mountain view, actually had AC, hot shower, balcony, space for a large working desk. I bought a second hand bike and made the room nice with some furniture, monitor, lights and all that. 

Visa costs were basically 2K a month at the time, would just pay overstay or get the double tourist visa's etc. So realistically my fixed costs were really only around 5K a month. At this time I did not drink or party in bars, at best at some guesthouses were we usually made bucket style / price drinks. Other than that the Thai brick weed. 

So with like 500 baht a day budget, making my own breakfast/lunch, eating at Thai markets 40-60 baht and 2 times a week foreign food, going to the movies on wednesday for 100 baht, driving to waterfalls etc. I was certainly not living a <deleted>ty life. I think this was usually 20-25K. 

I think nowadays this is 30-35K and still possible, Vietnam you would get however get more or less the same I got in those days. The actual costs for me in Thailand: foreign food costs (which i now prefer more often), going out and party money flies out the window, wife and kid (equals party life costs).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I'm now at 80-100K a month average, partying and traveling at absolute minimum. But I actually started with just 20-30K a month over a decade ago as a then not existing term 'digital nomad' in Chiang Mai.

I rented a 2K a month room with green / mountain view, actually had AC, hot shower, balcony, space for a large working desk. I bought a second hand bike and made the room nice with some furniture, monitor, lights and all that. 

Visa costs were basically 2K a month at the time, would just pay overstay or get the double tourist visa's etc. So realistically my fixed costs were really only around 5K a month. At this time I did not drink or party in bars, at best at some guesthouses were we usually made bucket style / price drinks. Other than that the Thai brick weed. 

So with like 500 baht a day budget, making my own breakfast/lunch, eating at Thai markets 40-60 baht and 2 times a week foreign food, going to the movies on wednesday for 100 baht, driving to waterfalls etc. I was certainly not living a <deleted>ty life. I think this was usually 20-25K. 

I think nowadays this is 30-35K and still possible, Vietnam you would get however get more or less the same I got in those days. The actual costs for me in Thailand: foreign food costs (which i now prefer more often), going out and party money flies out the window, wife and kid (equals party life costs).

About the same, now 80-100k a month income, and 23 yrs ago, about 15k a month.  Still owned car, house scooter.  Biggest bill, petrol & electric, and probably ate out 2 meals a day, w/beer sipping.

Still more than needed back then.  Today, complete reversal of lifestyle.  Eat in and little to no alcohol.

Still plenty of O&A's though, so petrol was a big bill, if not the largest at times, with daily school runs, or 65-75 kms a day, since always living out of town.  Since there, in town during school run, would eat in town during.

Then O&A exploring 2-3 months a year during school breaks.  About 15 years of, till wee one off to Uni.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

About the same, now 80-100k a month income, and 23 yrs ago, about 15k a month.  Still owned car, house scooter.  Biggest bill, petrol & electric, and probably ate out 2 meals a day, w/beer sipping.

Still more than needed back then.  Today, complete reversal of lifestyle.  Eat in and little to no alcohol.

Still plenty of O&A's though, so petrol was a big bill, if not the largest at times, with daily school runs, or 65-75 kms a day, since always living out of town.  Since there, in town during school run, would eat in town during.

Then O&A exploring 2-3 months a year during school breaks.  About 15 years of, till wee one off to Uni.

As long I can earn it it is fine but actually it is insane how high the costs are for what I / our family get in return with this spending. Back home I would actually be on the same spending but then with the 'best school' free as well a car, retirement perks and all that. 

It for sure has not became cheaper. I guess this is also why I stopped going out like before in Thailand, just not worth it anymore. Even you decide upfront to stick with only doing 4-5 beers, to then add buying just 1-2 drinks, a snack, and a grab taxi ride, it's easily 1000+ baht gone already, while this is nothing but a few hours outside the door. A night out is 2K minimum, with girls 5K.

Vietnam I would be pissed by the time I have spend 200-300 baht. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

As long I can earn it it is fine but actually it is insane how high the costs are for what I / our family get in return with this spending. Back home I would actually be on the same spending but then with the 'best school' free as well a car, retirement perks and all that. 

It for sure has not became cheaper. I guess this is also why I stopped going out like before in Thailand, just not worth it anymore. Even you decide upfront to stick with only doing 4-5 beers, to then add buying just 1-2 drinks, a snack, and a grab taxi ride, it's easily 1000+ baht gone already, while this is nothing but a few hours outside the door. Vietnam I would be pissed by the time I have spend 200-300 baht.

Wife bought eggs the other day, 10 for 50 baht, so 5 baht each, and they were small.   I use to by 3 for 5 baht 20 yrs ago 😂😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Wife bought eggs the other day, 10 for 50 baht, so 5 baht each, and they were small.   I use to by 3 for 5 baht 20 yrs ago 😂😪

I bought the big cartons just 4-5 years ago at makro, I think that came down to 2.5-3 baht each. I don't have land to use where i stay now, else I would want chickens for eggs, no joke. They print money.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, bignok said:

Anyone beat 20,000 baht a month?

Yes, my two monthly visits to Makro goes over that.

Life is for enjoying, and it all starts at the stomach 3 times a day for me with quality food (mostly imports), love my lamb especially, then there's the shanks, grain fed beef, Salami, Pepperoni, and the cheeses to go with it, and let's not forget those lovely olives and olive oil for those salads.

20,000 baht a month must be a pitiful existence, you must be malnourish or eat as Thai's do, which isn't very nutritional IMO.

80,000 baht a month with house and car paid off is what it costs me, remembering all those fixed monthly/annual costs, and then you have the replacement items over the years and car repairs that you didn't see coming.

I would hate to live your existence, why the chair I sit in most of the day cost me what you monthly budget is, comfort is only for those who can afford it, and MyEgo says I can :stoner:

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, my two monthly visits to Makro goes over that.

Life is for enjoying, and it all starts at the stomach 3 times a day for me with quality food (mostly imports), love my lamb especially, then there's the shanks, grain fed beef, Salami, Pepperoni, and the cheeses to go with it, and let's not forget those lovely olives and olive oil for those salads.

20,000 baht a month must be a pitiful existence, you must be malnourish or eat as Thai's do, which isn't very nutritional IMO.

80,000 baht a month with house and car paid off is what it costs me, remembering all those fixed monthly/annual costs, and then you have the replacement items over the years and car repairs that you didn't see coming.

I would hate to live your existence, why the chair I sit in most of the day cost me what you monthly budget is, comfort is only for those who can afford it, and MyEgo says I can :stoner:

I dont live on 20,000 baht a month. Never said I did. The topic is about lowest budgets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1