House Military Panel Calls Navy To Explain Swapping Sub For Frigate

webfact

And what exactly are the Chinese going to do with a Sub that is almost completed

I would assume Thailand will still need to pay for the work undertaken before they cancelled the order

As for the Frigate, I think China will politely tell them to F off

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Thailand fight you are joking !!!!!  it only took 5 hrs to subjugate thailand by the japanese

Cut Thailand some slack! It was during high season. They were busy....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, neeray said:

I think it would be a wise idea to incorporate some kind of a self-raise device so that after it sinks, they can refloat it and try again. That's after it undergoes a 5 billion dollar renovation and refurbishment process. TIT.

Can save energy and beach it. Of course, this would mean no potential kickbacks from the renovation budgets, so probably a non-starter.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

And what exactly are the Chinese going to do with a Sub that is almost completed

I would assume Thailand will still need to pay for the work undertaken before they cancelled the order

As for the Frigate, I think China will politely tell them to F off

It will be sold to Thailand down the line.

The original article included a comment that the submarine deal is not scrapped 'per se'.

Alternatively it will be flogged to another country, or even be used by the Chinese themselves. Didn't they just lose one?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“Government comes up with an idea, cancel the submarine and top up with additional money to buy a Chinese frigate.”

From the perspective of budget assigned by the previous pro-military government, portions of the overall budget can't legally be reassigned to a frigate without Parliament approval. Defense budgets are typically for very specific programs and procurements that are usually approved through legislative negotiations. The subject proposed switch bypasses the legislative process, thus illegal.

I think that's why Move Forward is taking issue. Nothing related to justification for a frigate substitution. Unspent budget for the submarine goes back to Parliament and discussions can the begin with how those funds should be reassigned, if at all.

• Like 1