Dengue fever remains a clear and present danger in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Dengue fever is a clear and present danger for tropical countries, including Thailand. Over the past year cases and deaths have increased up to three-fold. Parts of the north east and south have been particularly badly hit recently. There are plenty of things you can do in your daily life, and around your house, to mitigate against mosquitoes and being bitten.

Dengue, aka. “breakbone fever”, is endemic in more than 100 countries. Every year, 100 – 400 million people become infected, according to the World Health Organisation.

Whilst there are big leaps in treatment coming online, and more on the medical horizon, Dengue remains a problem for tropical populations. The best thing you can do is avoid being bitten.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: Fogging to prevent Dengue fever

Full story: PhuketGO 2023-10-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Yep. People will not clean up. Aedes aegypti mozzies will continue to breed. 

As an aside why does Aseannow no longer show reactions just posts. I don't like this. I can post thousands of times "I'm posting" everyday and this means what? Go back to what it was.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. People will not clean up. Aedes aegypti mozzies will continue to breed. 

As an aside why does Aseannow no longer show reactions just posts. I don't like this. I can post thousands of times "I'm posting" everyday and this means what? Go back to what it was.

I’m not seeing either but couldn’t really care a tinker’s toss. Perhaps it’s to make newbies feel better 😋

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Knock on wood again..... absence if infection does not suggest any immunity! We have all been bitten many many times, wet season, I would say a minimum of 6 to 10 daily. Just having a scratch of my ankles now!

Are you Dr Jack or just been drinking too much Jack?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.indiatoday.in/information/story/how-to-identify-a-dengue-mosquito-1718502-2020-09-04

Dengue-carrying mosquitoes are quite large relative to other mosquitoes and have stripes on them.

spacer.png

and are mostly active during the daytime. I find them easier to spot than the smaller regular ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Often read on social media about people in Hua Hin getting the dengue fever. Not always fatal despite their ages,  but makes one aware

One can never abuse the use of body mosquito repellants or mosquito screens around the bed.

Open air decorative water ponds in many residential areas look lovely but are a magnet to those biting f##ers and can make one...ponder !! on the need of such water holes ?

Dengvaxia (c) seems to be one of the few vaccines around and the only one with European Union approval. However it's efficency can vary due to the different clinical stereotypes of the viral infection,  depending on the location in the world. It also is said to be efficient to subjects who previously conracted the virus.

Dengue is a what one refers as a flavivirus, similar to the family of yellow fever for exemple.

great post and information, well done

• Thanks 1

I used to sit outside in the mornings and read the paper, got Dengue, don't do that any more! There's no immunity to it after you get it and it gets worse after each subsequent infection. Didn't see it posted so I thought I'd mention it; the mosquito that carries Dengue is a daytime biter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Dengvaxia (c) seems to be one of the few vaccines around and the only one with European Union approval.

Wrong.  Qdenga is now also approved and is the much better vaccine for those who did not have dengue previously.

11 hours ago, Emdog said:

Those other dangers you mention are personal choices: deciding to ride a motorbike or car, walking down the sidewalk

I never drive anything here & sidewalks are free fire zones

That's why I built a concrete bunker (above ground, have to consider floods and all), use 12 volt solar cell juice, have everything delivered.

I've had dengue twice. Not a picnic by any means. It was your choice to read this posting about Dengue. Nobody did it specifically to "talk to you about Dengue". All the posting are not put on this site just to reach you. Ignorance isn't bliss, at least for most people.

I love this forum. Some of these replies really make my day. Honestly. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

So is getting your daily BJ by the friendly Lady Boy down your Soi.

I'm so glad I don't have thin skin, otherwise I guess I'd be offended on a daily basis by nitwits, that post things that they haven't taken a single second to consider, before it's committed to the page. 

On 10/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, spidermike007 said:

So is getting on a motorbike anywhere in the country

So is getting behind the wheel of a car on any highway in the land.

So is walking down the sidewalk in any major city

So is crossing any major street. 

There are so many hazards here one has to be diligent constantly. Do you really think we're going to worry about Dengue? Give me a break, I don't give a second thought to covid anymore, I'm more worried about catching the flu.

Don't even talk to me about Dengue get a real job please. 

You can mitigate the risks of all the activities listed with simple acts:  wear a helmet, fasten your seat belt, avoid certain areas in certain cities, and look both ways before crossing the street.  I do all these things.  Do you?

You can also take actions to mitigate exposure to dengue, specifically to reduce exposure to mosquitoes.  I do that also.  Do you?

A friend of mine recently spent about days in hospital with hemorrhagic dengue.  If that happens to you you will probably start giving the subject some thought.

20 hours ago, heybruce said:

You can mitigate the risks of all the activities listed with simple acts:  wear a helmet, fasten your seat belt, avoid certain areas in certain cities, and look both ways before crossing the street.  I do all these things.  Do you?

You can also take actions to mitigate exposure to dengue, specifically to reduce exposure to mosquitoes.  I do that also.  Do you?

A friend of mine recently spent about days in hospital with hemorrhagic dengue.  If that happens to you you will probably start giving the subject some thought.

You are likely right, but there are countless things in this world that I don't give much thought to, because they're not a direct concern to me and I don't spend my life worrying about things that I have a limited amount of control over. If I'm in an area with a lot of mosquitoes I wear mosquito repellent or a long sleeve shirt, simple preventative measures. But it's not something I walk around everyday worried about.