It is time to abolish the death penalty in Thailand

webfact

21 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

You can't punish death with death.  It is immoral and makes you the bigger criminal.  The death penalty is revenge not justice.

The topic is about Thailand and many are the stories about murderers and rapists here that not get any treatment in jail.They just serve time and after being released go right back to do it again!

I am not sure if murderers and rapists also get a reduced sentence because of the Kings birthday but  that is all i can say about this.

Putting a murderer to death may seem as revenge but it also assures he will not kill again.

Imo when you kill someone you give up the right to be treated as a human being,not in all cases of course.

• Like 2

Emphatically NO! There are a lot of innocent people who are rotting in their grave now, murdered by monsters who've been imprisoned for murder and let out early. Even those who've had their death sentence commuted to life imprisonment rarely serve the full life term. I guarantee not many completely innocent people have been wrongly convicted and executed. If they have, it's probably because of their long criminal record.

I also think that those found guilty should be executed not long after being sentenced to cut out these costly appeals. One quick appeal and if it fails, the sentence should be carried out in days in my opinion. I couldn't argue with that if I was a guilty of murder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect that when the death penalty was abolished in the UK, people were under the impression that the life sentence that replaced it would mean that someone would spend the rest of their life in prison, not 10-12 years, as is often the case.

(Before someone mentions it, I'm fully aware that when someone is released early they spend the rest of their life on-licence, I'm talking about the amount of time that people actually spend in prison).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Of course not.  The punishment should be life imprisonment without parole.

So that the Thai people can foot the bill to keep the useless dregs alive. Soften the penalties and harden the criminals. Has worked wonders in places like the UK and in liberal states in the USA. (sarcasm) 

Edited by OldBird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Absolutely.  The death penalty has no place in civilised countries.

Mass murderers who slaughter innocent people going about their daily lives are not civilised... don't treat them as such.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

' The death penalty has no place in civilised countries.' 

With regard to their judicial system no one could call Thailand 'civilised'. It is corrupt from the bottom to the top and in so many cases no thinking person could have any confidence in so many results.... think of Kao Tao. 

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Too quick you would not even have time for commercials.

I am thinking something more musical , with a bit of variety and suspence. But not sure exactly what. Perhaps Firing squad as you suggested but with singing, a Russian rulet component,  and the condemned allowed the ability to duck and weave with an intermission half way through for referments 

Have you reached the age of 13 yet?    Once you do perhaps some mental maturity will begin for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Have you reached the age of 13 yet?    Once you do perhaps some mental maturity will begin for you.

13 more years to go.

How long have you been brain dead? 

• Haha 1

If there is absolute proof of a heinous crime e.g. clear cctv footage, then yes, put the "dog" down. The same for repeat offenders of serious crime, two strikes and you're gone. If they are a serious danger to society then remove them permanently at minimal expense to the taxpayer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

you said nothing of the kind. but I'll forgive you because it seems to have been an autocorrect/proofread fail

Since we are in the forgiving mood. I also broke the vase when I was 8 ,  it was not the dog, It has been bothering ever since. . How about a bit of absolutions for that also . :tongue:

Just now, sirineou said:

Since we are in the forgiving mood. I also broke the vase when I was 8 ,  it was not the dog, It has been bothering ever since. . How about a bit of absolutions for that also . :tongue:

If you were drunk then it's OK. If not then I think you should make merit for such a grievous sin. 500 baht and a wai should do the trick.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Lighten up a bit - or are you completely lacking any humour?

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am a supporter of the death penalty.

What is the point of feeding and housing murderers, rapists and other bad criminals.

Kill them, problem solved. They won't do any harm anymore.

The critical point is obviously that no innocent people should be killed. This is why there need to be no doubt at all that the person committed the crime. It seems with many murderers and rapists there is no doubt. Delete them from the earth. It will be a better place after that.

norway-massacre.jpg

Dunno if you're a Brit OMF but I can give you 20 reasons why the death penalty (in UK ) must never slither back into our lives: Guildford 4, Birmingham 6, McGuire 8, Barry George.

All of these innocents would be dead because of the lies and corruption of West Midlands and Metropolitan Police.

Add to the above incontrovertible facts that when the death penalty was an option juries were sometimes reluctant to deliver guilty verdicts in murder trials and went for guilty on less serious charges resulting in the accused doing short time or being freed to commit further crimes. Now that's what you call a paradox.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1