UK pensioners flock to luxury retirement resorts in Thailand

webfact

1500 GBP /month, in my town of Lopburi they is a Thai care home that gives 24/7 care, all for 20 000 bat/month.

Probable ben said, the residents will not speak any Thai, if it is the normal Thai way, the staff will not be that preferent in English, should make some interesting conversions.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

You do understand that you are going to need to lose that chip on your shoulder at some point.

Ah you mean I will be banned, as we can't post any negative comments? Oh dear, so this is still the "Nation" and Yellow Shirty Mods running things, is it? Right, well let me know.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Good to be in a home but be sure to have all your property in Thailand sold and the money can be used to finance your home. No point in leaving a condo or a house to the developpers if you suddenly conk out with no notice. Wills and stuff ? why bother as it can just be a hassle for the survivors to get a thai will, sell the house etc. Sell when you are still in good health and then use the cash either to donate to your family  or to finance the stay or  whatever. Don't leave your kids with the hassle to have to deal with the will and selling property. Usually many families just give up from the west and quite a few properties just to to the crooks around who get the asset.

6 minutes ago, Aldo123 said:

Ah you mean I will be banned, as we can't post any negative comments? Oh dear, so this is still the "Nation" and Yellow Shirty Mods running things, is it? Right, well let me know.

No....you need to lose the chip on your shoulder.

....and your paranoia.

You seem to know a lot about yellow shirty things for someone who has only been around for 17 posts..................................or have you?  😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Places like that are all over Mexico, South America at the same price or cheaper. I am 71 and am looking into places like that if I live to the point where I need allot of care.  I am heading to Guadalajara . Close for family in the US and amazing and cheap care compared to the US.  In South America you could rent a place and hire full time care with a happy ending if you wanted for that price... Not only that but you don't have to put 800K in a bank and you don't have to do a 90 day report and you don't have to do yearly extensions of stay. Personally if you are in that stage of life you would be an idiot to go to Thailand for that kind of care.

All the countries want your money but in Asia the government makes your life miserable. And if in a home?  Wow, you could be ejected or have to pay thousands of dollars if you miss a yearly extension of stay. Thailand is a joke for this plain and simple..

TAT knows the power of advertising. And suckers will be suckers.  

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

The state pension doesn't even come into this.

A million or so goes a long way in retirement.

It's kind of unfortunate that these people will be taxed to death from next year - because all that money they're bringing is not from state pensions, it will be from investment income, sale of property, etc - all of which they apparently plan to tax.

Just another scam by the people in charge.  Reading this thread is a good broad view of opinions.  No thought of the long term outcome what so ever...  No health card insurance.  A joke..

I can see it now.  Big Joke racing up to the old folks home with sirens blaring guns drawn and camera crews filming every angle. Headline:   "Ridding Thailand of dead beat western overstayers "   

Edited by Gknrd
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Thumbs said:

...£1500 a month seems very reasonable but then need to add in the 800,000 per person for the visa...

Ate you sure that for a couple it is THB 800k per person? Can't just one get the retirement extension and the other a dependent visa as the spouse?

9 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

There are always apps and Zoom to stay in contact with family and friends so a minor inconvenience when compared to the advantages of staying away from the hellhole that is UK.which is fast becoming a failed state.

I  will take your word for it, not having been back myself for a while. The news reports are deterrent enough. 

I have not read all the posts but I think the 1500 pounds per month for total care is a come on. I looked into a retirement home a couple of years ago out of curiosity. The accommodation only cost was 40,000 baht in a shared room! with breakfast only. Private room, nursing, extra meals, transportation and medical services were extras. Regarding nursing care the cost was 15,000 baht/month for 8 hours per day and 40,000 baht/month for full time nursing. This is not at the care home featured.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Good for them.

By all appearances, the UK is in a horrible state nowadays, so it's great to hear that some found a place to spend their retirement in comfort, elsewhere. 

Well, they can't (or at least not as easily as before) go to Spain anymore since they voted themselves out of the EU. You really can't expect them to stay in the UK, can you? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

This is the regurgitation of an old story.  Unfortunately £1500 will be the 'entry price' - I bet there will tie-ins to local doctors/hospital/pharmacy. The final bill will be a lot higher. Much better to find your own accommodation and make your own arrangements.

Ideally, I agree. But these people seem to be sort of just plopped down here in Thailand with little or no knowledge of how things work. Navigating Thai rules, regulations, customs, and culture for people with no background might be a nightmare. Like you, I'm comfortable enough situating myself in Thailand. But I've lived here for almost 14 years, and I came here to work for a Thai government institution originally. So I've eased into things over the years. And I still get an unpleasant surprise every now and then. If these people can get somebody or some organization between them and potential problems, it might be worth it, especially if they're coming here as a couple.

2 hours ago, Hardcastle P said:

They must be retired civil servants with a golden pension pot certainly not you Mr average whose pension will  be frozen the day they come to Thailand. 

Not necessarily.Since you seem to be unaware of it most middle class UK pensioners - even those you describe as Mr Average - have additional pension support in addition to the state pension.This could be a company or government pension, and/or a personal pension built up through savings/investment over a career.The state pension is in these cases a very small part of overall pension income.

Schemes of this kind are I agree beyond the scope of those completely dependent on the UK state pension.I would go further by arguing people in these restricted financial circumstances should not be considering retirement in a country like Thailand.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:59 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Can you blame him? I bet the carers or nurses in the UK are fat and ugly compared to those in Thailand?🤣

Only thing in common is they both do not speak English very well?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 8:30 AM, phetphet said:

£1500 a month? 

I couldn't open the link to Mail Online, but for accommodation and 24 hour care, if that includes all meals, that is a steal.

Not sure about the one in Chiangmai though. the pollution for several months a year isn't good for anyone...young or old.

The old boy in that last photo looks like he can't take his eyes off that nurse. 😀

If you use a vpn and put yourself in UK it will open. 

On 11/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, stix40 said:

Good on them!

They have worked hard all their life enjoy the last golden years .

Care homes in the UK are generally staffed by under paid and  under skilled folk that don't give a f#&k .

Best of  luck to all of them

Especially the ones that fought for the freedom of their nation 🫡💂🏵️

Actually after these proposed new tax rules, their all probably about to do a Thai U turn ? 

• Haha 1