Cheated by Savings-bank...

Two days ago I took out 8000 B from the savings bank ATM with my EU visa card.

Everything went well except the ATM did give me my 8000 B.

We went into the savings bank and asked if they could help.

They say I have to call the call center.

The next day the 8000 was taken from my EU account.

So I called the saving-banks call center and they told me they could not help me so I lost 8000 B.

Is this normal in Thailand?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I try to do anything with ATMs in Thailand except withdraw from Thai accounts. It seems to me that all the scams come from using mobile apps here, so I forego the use of mobile apps as well. It is perhaps less convenient, but I feel better about it. Corruption is rampant in Thailand, why woudn't the banks be corrupt as well?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you double checked if the money REALLY have left your account ??

Because 2 ting to be aware of :

when use atm money is redused from "amount to use" at once.

It dont REALLY leave your accont before nxt day-or monday if done in weekends.

This deduction can last (in norway) up to 3 days before disappear in system.

it can happen due to some technical difficulty or offline situation.

check account if "balance" and "amount to use" is the same.

Also, if not ok, visit the bank who owns the atm monday morning.

if atm done wrong it will have 8000 to much in its safe..

i know, been working with stuff like this "for a lifetime" :-)

(for bank its worse having "to much money" than to little. Bad publicity :-) )

Edited by Olav Seglem

27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Have been withdrawing from ATM's in Thailand with foreign and Thai cards for decades, never had a problem.

I am aware that not everybody gets scammed, but those that do are usually using mobile apps on phones linked to credit or debit cards. Personally I wouldn't bother about 8000, it's simply not significant to me, but it is the ball ache trying to get recovery. And I cannot explain to myself why banks would be the only institutions in Thailand that are not thoroughly corrupt. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Have been withdrawing from ATM's in Thailand with foreign and Thai cards for decades, never had a problem.

.... ???

Just until the last months, I didn't have any  problems with my VISA-Card over many, many years.

But suddenly the Thai ATMs showed me €-rates 2 Baht lower than the official Visa-rates, a loss of nearly 50 Euros when taking off 30.000 THB.  Since this time I never have  withdrawn money from a Thai ATM. Instead I made money transfers using my  €-bank account. 

Anybody the same problem?

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, puck2 said:

But suddenly the Thai ATMs showed me €-rates 2 Baht lower than the official Visa-rates, a loss of nearly 50 Euros when taking off 30.000 THB.  Since this time I never have  withdrawn money from a Thai ATM. Instead I made money transfers using my  €-bank account. 

Yes, most (all?) ATMs offer to do the conversion to the card currency at a poor exchange rate.  Just refuse the offer and it'll revert to the  Visa/Mastercard rate.  Google Dynamic Currency Conversion for more info.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, puck2 said:

.... ???

Just until the last months, I didn't have any  problems with my VISA-Card over many, many years.

It's called DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion, and it's a scam.

There should be an option to decline DCC and use the standard exchange method, but it might not be so obvious (for obvious reasons).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

Two days ago I took out 8000 B from the savings bank ATM with my EU visa card.

So I called the saving-banks call center and they told me they could not help me so I lost 8000 B.

As described, you withdrew 8000 from the savings bank and the ATM issued it.

Your account in the EU was debited with the 8000.

What did you lose and what is the problem?

Edited by freeworld
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I am aware that not everybody gets scammed, but those that do are usually using mobile apps on phones linked to credit or debit cards.

Well okay, if you enter your credit or debit card information in a questionable app, something bad could happen, same as if you enter it on a questionable website.

I don't see any problem with using the banking apps offered by Thai banks, on the other hand. People who get scammed using them are usually tricked into transferring money to the scammer, there's nothing wrong with those apps as such.

4 hours ago, retarius said:

It seems to me that all the scams come from using mobile apps here, so I forego the use of mobile apps as well.

Well it seems to me that the banking apps in Thailand are highly secure. Please provide an example or two of scams on mobile apps, especially banking apps if you have some. Thanks

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

No, it is not normal in Thailand.  Usually the bank to which the ATM is attached will start an investigation if the ATM did not dispense the cash.  As others have suggested, report the transaction to your own bank also. 

"Is this normal in Thailand?"

You say that the ATM gave you your B8,000, you also say that it didn't.  Which one is it and which bank's ATM did you use?  "The Savings Bank" is not a Thai bank.  Is it possible that you didn't make your problem clear to the bank staff, also?  Is that normal for you?

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

It's called DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion, and it's a scam.

There should be an option to decline DCC and use the standard exchange method, but it might not be so obvious (for obvious reasons).

Exactly! The Thai banks behave like criminals in these cases, they don't show you the (hidden) negative results.

Now I have learnt about the bank robbery. My problem was the new Krungthai Bank ATM in our village. Nearly all comments in Thai language. And of course, they would never explain or show  the disadvantage of the DCC exchange method (in English language). I knew about the DCC-problem, but didn't recognise it.

I saw this in the internet:

image.jpeg.19a61646bb86489f846e07521e912616.jpeg

Could contain:

Edited by puck2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You say that the ATM gave you your B8,000, you also say that it didn't.  Which one is it and which bank's ATM did you use?

You don't need to be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to realize the OP made a typing error in his OP, or why would he start a thread if everything was fine?

Being a pedant who is known to scour the forum for arguments which he can start, of course helps in not understanding what really happened

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"Personally I wouldn't bother about 8000, it's simply not significant to me"

You would just blow off 8000 baht?

You must be doing alright.

I wouldn't go to court over it but I would definitely pickup the phone, go to the branch, send an email.

It depends what value you put on your time, doesn't it? I have always run my life so that I put a high value of my time.....I have servants to do the manual l work around the house and garden, because I can rent them at 500 to 600 baht a day, and I will not work for 5-600 baht a day labouring in my own garden. It is my choice, but I would rather sit on my arse and read a book than mow the lawn or whatever for 500 baht. I am fortunate to have the choice.

With regard to spending hours on the phone or in the bank dealing with people who speak no English for 8000 baht....no thank you, I'd rather lose the money and not have the hassle. My peace of mind is worth more than 8000 baht.

I do understand that poor people and this who have little money, do not have the option, and I am grateful that I do. but it came from working like a dog for 23 years in a large US corporation, so I don't apologise for it. Personally, I find it strangle that the only thing in Thailand that is actually cheap is labour, but expat fools choose to labour themselves, negating any advantage that of the cheap labour here. I would not live here if I was so short of money I had to mow my own lawn.

Edited by retarius
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, retarius said:

It depends what value you put on your time, doesn't it? I have always run my life so that I put a high value of my time.....I have servants to do the manual l work around the house and garden, because I can rent them at 500 to 600 baht a day, and I will not work for 5-600 baht a day labouring in my own garden. It is my choice, but I would rather sit on my arse and read a book than mow the lawn or whatever for 500 baht. I am fortunate to have the choice.

With regard to spending hours on the phone or in the bank dealing with people who speak no English for 8000 baht....no thank you, I'd rather lose the money and not have the hassle. My peace of mind is worth more than 8000 baht.

I do understand that poor people and this who have little money, do not have the option, and I am grateful that I do. but it came from working like a dog for 23 years in a large US corporation, so I don't apologise for it. Personally, I find it strangle that the only thing in Thailand that is actually cheap is labour, but expat fools choose to labour themselves, negating any advantage that of the cheap labour here. I would not live here if I was so short of money I had to mow my own lawn.

Didn't mean any disrespect, but 8000 THB is over $200 USD.

And I can't imagine not even making a phone call or writing an email to try and recover it.

I'm not poor but as I said for $200 I would make some effort though not unlimited.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, retarius said:

I am aware that not everybody gets scammed, but those that do are usually using mobile apps on phones linked to credit or debit cards. Personally I wouldn't bother about 8000, it's simply not significant to me, but it is the ball ache trying to get recovery. And I cannot explain to myself why banks would be the only institutions in Thailand that are not thoroughly corrupt. 

Blaming an industry for large scale corruption without any proof is stupid as it could get you jail time for defamation.

Edited by FritsSikkink