Shrinkflation.

bob smith

9 minutes ago, Keeps said:

That is pretty standard. You get 4 weeks supply, not one month. Obviously, if you are on more than one per day you would get a multiple of 28. 

Is it? I use also other medicine daily,  and there they know how to put 30 tablets in a box.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Is it? I use also other medicine daily,  and there they know how to put 30 tablets in a box.

I have various prescribed medications. They are always prescribed in multiples of 8 or 12 weeks, not 2 or 3 months. I'm not being argumentative, just the way it is for me. It may well be easier to have a diary note of "1st of the month, get my meds" but then some months have 30 or 31 days, Feb, 28 for example. As I'm on long terms meds that's the timescales my prescriptions are. For shorter term medication I would have a prescription for the amount of days the meds should have done their work and be discontinued.

• Thumbs Up 1

An I glad to see this......,I was shocked and horrified when sitting on the toilet two days ago to see the very small print on my favourite toilet paper. I am picky about toilet paper and hate the cheap stuff that your finger goes through, so I buy Scott 3 ply. So I buy some on Saturday, and place them next to the stock already in (I like a big stock of toilet paper) anyway, I decided to move the new pack to the bottom rack and the old pack to the top, not that toilet paper really needs such inventory attention....but I felt that the sizes were different......and So I checked. Old packs 163 meters new packs 152 meters for 6 rolls. The cheeky bastards. 

I use a lot of Scotts stuff including their wet wipes for my tender bottom and kitchen/ bathroom paper towels. Now what can I do, I cannot exactly replace everything I use of their in protest can I? I tried to ban Gillette from my life a few years ago when they did the sick ad insulting men (their customers) but it is difficult. Can people suggest some other brands for me to try?

The other product that has undergone massive shrink-flation is Magnum Ice Cream. The number of calories ion a bar is about 2/3 of what it used to be. I don't mind so much because I am fat and should eat so many calories anyway.

Lazy to cook lunch today so bought ready meal from Big C.

Pad Grapoo moo.   6 months ago 25 baht. Today 49 baht for same amount ?   Very naughty.  The dtam sang food stall might have gone up a bit but not almost 100% !!

22 hours ago, bignok said:

Chips are a joke. 10 chips and lots of air!

I dont care what American's call them, they are called crisps. Chips are fried and are served with fish or pirs etc. Whilst we are on the subject, Pants are mens underwhere not trousers and todays date 07/11/23 not 11/07/23

Edited by jimn
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

The biggest problem in this country is that there is no competition, they can do with prices, c.g. packaging what they want, they don't have to try that in Europe, there we have Lidel/ Aldi, etc.

There are no more than 3 companies controlling the market, now including Makro

Don't be naive, Europe's big distribution companies have secret price agreements.

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

korean deserved everything he got.

Oh, for those mellow days when it was Korean deli owners who were the rightie immigrant outrage du jour.

Also: Thanksgiving at Duke's restaurant was 495 baht last year, 795 this year.

The pic looks like they're piling the turkey on top of the mashed potato's and stuffing to make it look bigger too. Last year, it was all spread out on the plate.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am a bit of a chocolate freak despite my silly user name.

I give you Exhibit A. Cadbury's and Whitaker's used to be the same size at 250 gram. Bit by bit Cadbury's has decreased from 250 to 180 while Whittaker's stayed the same.

unnamed.jpg.f8f314db2ba0cc4b73b2a25be6fcfe30.jpg

In Exhibit B there are chocolates that kept the same size being Lindt and Moser Roth. The third Green and Black went down to 90 gram which you could argue is now a chocolate bar rather than a chocolate block. 

unnamed(1).jpg.3d78e815565c82fba25dc35b770af9a6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

I think most companies are having a go at it.

Just watching a documentary about it.

It's shocking whats going on. The world has gone to s#@t

Actually it has been going to crap for a while, it finally hit the level that makes it obvious to almost everyone.  I have been seeing folks talk about

buying a bag of chips or something else, all markings including weight of product inside are exactly the same except in reality, the product is up to

50 percent less.  And since TIT, in order to make more money, they tell you it is on sale but the price is really 10-15 % higher than normal.  What a deal they have for all!  Probably a lot of the same going on elsewhere as I hear nothing but complaints from friends still in the US.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, retarius said:

An I glad to see this......,I was shocked and horrified when sitting on the toilet two days ago to see the very small print on my favourite toilet paper. I am picky about toilet paper and hate the cheap stuff that your finger goes through, so I buy Scott 3 ply. So I buy some on Saturday, and place them next to the stock already in (I like a big stock of toilet paper) anyway, I decided to move the new pack to the bottom rack and the old pack to the top, not that toilet paper really needs such inventory attention....but I felt that the sizes were different......and So I checked. Old packs 163 meters new packs 152 meters for 6 rolls. The cheeky bastards. 

I use a lot of Scotts stuff including their wet wipes for my tender bottom and kitchen/ bathroom paper towels. Now what can I do, I cannot exactly replace everything I use of their in protest can I? I tried to ban Gillette from my life a few years ago when they did the sick ad insulting men (their customers) but it is difficult. Can people suggest some other brands for me to try?

The other product that has undergone massive shrink-flation is Magnum Ice Cream. The number of calories ion a bar is about 2/3 of what it used to be. I don't mind so much because I am fat and should eat so many calories anyway.

This may help....

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I buy Mission Wraps. A lot. Last year the wraps started getting smaller. It became difficult to actually wrap what you put in the wrap. They are manufactured and delivered  out of Malaysia, although their email contact is in Australia. I sent them a picture of the package and asked what was going on. They simply refused to admit that they were shrinking both the product and the package. Result? I now buy Danita's locally made burrito sized flour tortillas.

BTW, Walls not only shrank the portion of ice cream they package, they've changed the entire package. I'm guessing it's because so many people reuse the ice cream containers. Smaller packages would become obvious immediately. And to put smaller ice cream portions in the old containers would have looked to obvious, too.

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't bought a Magnum bar in a couple of years. When I picked it out of the freezer at 7 Eleven, it looked the same as I remembered. When I got home and later opened it, it looked like a Magnum mini-me. And the price was about 30 baht more as well.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, impulse said:

45 year old hookers are charging the same as they did 20 years ago, when they were 25...  Some of them, even more.

That's criminal.

At least they weigh much more than before unlike potato chip packets and chocolate bars.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

The razor blades with an obvious hole and one missing but the same price.

A year ago my local supermarket had the wrong price on the razor blades I usually buy. They are usually around $29.95 for a pack of 4 but these were priced at $9.95 so I think someone accidentally dropped the leading '2' in the computer system. Anyway, I bought all the packets on the shelf and now I have a supply of cheap blades for the next 5 years. They don't even have a used by date.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dexxter said:

A year ago my local supermarket had the wrong price on the razor blades I usually buy. They are usually around $29.95 for a pack of 4 but these were priced at $9.95 so I think someone accidentally dropped the leading '2' in the computer system. Anyway, I bought all the packets on the shelf and now I have a supply of cheap blades for the next 5 years. They don't even have a used by date.

I'm still a Gillette Mach3 man myself. A while ago I bought some blades through Amazon. They were not particularly cheap so I thought I'd give them a try assuming they would be "the real deal". Luckily, only bought one small pack to try them out. After my first shave I looked like I'd had a face massage from Edward Scissorhands. Rest went in the bin. Back to my usual source at an exorbitant price. 

9 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I'm still a Gillette Mach3 man myself. A while ago I bought some blades through Amazon. They were not particularly cheap so I thought I'd give them a try assuming they would be "the real deal". Luckily, only bought one small pack to try them out. After my first shave I looked like I'd had a face massage from Edward Scissorhands. Rest went in the bin. Back to my usual source at an exorbitant price. 

I use the Fusion 5 blades. They seem to be good for at least 6 months each before I start noticing the blade getting dull. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, at 6 months a blade (6 packs each 4 blades) I probably have about 12 years worth in the drawer. Then it will be time to grow a beard.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I use the Fusion 5 blades. They seem to be good for at least 6 months each before I start noticing the blade getting dull. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, at 6 months a blade (6 packs each 4 blades) I probably have about 12 years worth in the drawer. Then it will be time to grow a beard.

The manufacturers recommend changing the blade every 1-2 weeks. No way! It would cost an absolute fortune. I tend to get about 2-3 months out of a blade shaving every other day. When I start getting the odd nick, then I know it's time to change it. It's a huge expensive for us men. I tried an electric shaver for a very short while - never again. Left me with a very prominent neck rash every time. 

On 11/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, bob smith said:

I think most companies are having a go at it.

Just watching a documentary about it.

It's shocking whats going on. The world has gone to s#@t

They made a lot of money using the Russian/Ukrane war as an excuse, now I'm waiting for them to do what the Mars Bars were doing way back in the seventies, firstly increasing the size as an excuse to also increase the price, then about two weeks later reducing the price back to the original but leaving the price the same.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Cornflakes they are also scammers with the boxes.

My local ice cream man reduced the amount of ice cream in the container I used, he thought I wouldn't notice but I did and told him so. I wonder if he did it with all his other customers who are Thai.

7 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Thai logic 

Going on in the UK and elsewhere too so not just the Thais. These are mainly multinationals in any case.

UK example - Walkers crisps box of 22, increased from around £3.75 to £5 in under a year and now there are 20 packs in the box, not 22.