Carabao-Red Sun hops into the ring to challenge Thai beer titans Singha and Chang

webfact

I've come to the conclusion that they are too flat and not suited to my taste. The weizen was foul, tasted of chemicals and got thrown down the sink. The dunkel was flat. The lager is flat and has a lingering aftertaste that doesn't agree with me. It left me and my Thai friends with bad hangovers too. The rose is a girly drink that effectively tastes of sugar and also gave a bad hangover. I won't be drinking any of them again. 

I find the Dunkel is ok, that is if you can find it, our local Big C just had a few packs in among the hordes of Chang, Sing,Leo, ect ,yet to find the IPA ,in my rural area only our Lotus mini has any, and that is just Dunkel and Weizen.

I think this time next year it will not be around; the Thai pallet will not like it not sweet enough.

2 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I find the Dunkel is ok, that is if you can find it, our local Big C just had a few packs in among the hordes of Chang, Sing,Leo, ect ,yet to find the IPA ,in my rural area only our Lotus mini has any, and that is just Dunkel and Weizen.

I think this time next year it will not be around; the Thai pallet will not like it not sweet enough.

I think the IPA is sold under the Tawandaeng name, which Big c should stock, but from what I have read about that brand, maybe you should save your money,

As for the dunkel, I have bought it a few times now. Option 1 is big C where it is stored on the shelves and I have to refrigerate it before consuming, or local Lotussssss fresh where it is in the fridge.

I found that those I bought in Big C after the first 2 weeks of introduction are flat. Those stored in the fridge at lotusssss are not flat.

54 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Another wasted opportunity. They did all the promotion but forgot to taste check what the consumers would think.

Thailand does not need more average beer. Better quality ingredients and brewing and 10 baht more expensive could be a winner.

Thailand doesn't need,  or , expats don't want ?   not the same thing really is it?

On 11/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, curlylekan said:

On top of that, I do not understand how Thai people love ice with their beer which further takes away from the beers flavor

You have actually answered your own question, the ice is intended to remove the flavour

I don't mind the taste of Chang but it can be a headache in a bottle, regardless of whether I have 2 or 6

Been drunk on Lao Khao a few times and never got a headache

The old chang from years ago (6.5% in the brown bottles) was lethal

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:59 PM, Baht Simpson said:

Carabao has finally appeared out here in the sticks, but only the Carabao Lager and Tawandaeng Weizen. I haven't cracked open the weizen yet but tried the lager. It's interesting but I agree it's got an aftertaste that I can't quite identify. I'm hoping for more from the dunkel when it finally surfaces.

I note that only the dunkel and lager have the Carabao branding whilst the weizen, rosée and IPA appear under the Tawandaeng German Brewery name. I'm not normally a fan of rosée but I'm eager to try the IPA.

My son bought me four different types.  The Rose tasted like a wine cooler - it got tossed like immediately.  Didn't try the Weizen as I don't like wheat beers.  The Dunkel is so-so - very malty if you like malty...I don't.  Then the Lager - just another lager with a mild aftertaste.  Unfortunately I like a little more hops-bitter taste.  I'll stick with Leo. 

Dang - the only thing he didn't buy was the IPA.  Which I might be interested in if it actually tastes like an IPA.  We'll see the next time I visit his home.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:59 AM, proton said:

Dunkel is not bad, not found the IPA anywhere yet. It's just a bit weak at 4.9% but still better than Chang and Leo

Yeh, both Chang, Leo and Singha are 5%. Can you tell the difference?

On 12/14/2023 at 7:59 AM, proton said:

Dunkel is not bad, not found the IPA anywhere yet. It's just a bit weak at 4.9% but still better than Chang and Leo

Like me I like an IPA, but I have yet to find it in any of our shops, I would say it would be more like a larger especially for the Thai pallet at 4.9%, also most IPA's are around 3.8-4%, never been a strong beer.

Dunkel is all right better than the dark Beer Lao, with that you can almost taste the molasses, and I would say Dunkel would have some molasses in it

I've managed to pick up cans of the Rosé and Weizen, issued under the Tawandang brand and the Carabao Dunkel and Lager but, like others I still haven't seen the Tawandang IPA. 

I've only tried the lager so far  which was different and interesting but I agree about the strange aftertaste. I'll get to the others soon.

39 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Like me I like an IPA, but I have yet to find it in any of our shops, I would say it would be more like a larger especially for the Thai pallet at 4.9%, also most IPA's are around 3.8-4%, never been a strong beer.

Dunkel is all right better than the dark Beer Lao, with that you can almost taste the molasses, and I would say Dunkel would have some molasses in it

Best IPA i had here is at Home Cafe in Klong Suaan at 8% brewed by themselves. Unfortunately the price was more than you would pay in London, 250 baht for half a pint!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, kickstart said:

I think it will. Carabao have invested huge sums in a beer production facility with cutting-edge, foreign technology and will produce 200-400 million litres annually. They're really serious about this.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:09 PM, greeneking said:

Another wasted opportunity. They did all the promotion but forgot to taste check what the consumers would think.

Thailand does not need more average beer. Better quality ingredients and brewing and 10 baht more expensive could be a winner.

So you think Carabao - which has built up a billion dollar drinks brand and has invested hundreds of millions in to this one - just makes up a drink in a new category and dumps it on the market without any research? Seriously?

If you want to compete in the Thai mass market an extra 10 baht a bottle would kill your business immediately.

I love the posters on here thinking they know better than the people who have built billion dollar companies. Why not send them an email and tell them of your ideas, I am sure they would appreciate it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Best IPA i had here is at Home Cafe in Klong Suaan at 8% brewed by themselves. Unfortunately the price was more than you would pay in London, 250 baht for half a pint!

So that's roughly 285ml. and 88 bht per 100ml. which would make it £11.43 a pint or £5.72 a half. Not cheap but probably worth it as a treat.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

As I've only recently returned to the Land of smiles after a 5 year break in NZ, I was keen to see what's new on the beer scene. 

A lot has changed in those 5 years and not just with all these craft beers.  Not that I'm fond of overly priced beer that honestly tastes like crap. 

About 18 years ago when I first stepped onto these shores, I like most tried the basic few beers available. Singh, Chang and later on Leo. 

Tastes change with time and so did my brands of beer.  Now that I've returned, I cannot stomach Singh although it's number 1 in Thailand. 

Chang was never a favorite in my books and somehow Leo was my run of the mill drink.  Easy to drink without a hangover from hell. 

All this talk about Carabou got me interested.  I only remembered it as an energy drink... now they make beer! Wow! 

I had a Carabou lager a few nights ago and initially I liked the hoppy taste.  However it didn't linger much. You needed another sip to see if its really there.  Sure it's different to the normal Thai beers and that's ok.  

Will I drink more of it?  Undecided at this moment. But it was a nice change. 

I've just had a big bottle of the Dunkel.  1st glass was a case of, yes it's dark, it's taste stouty, hmmm what else?  2nd glass, oh that's not too bad actually. I think I might get to like it after another bottle. 

Stout has never been too kind to me but this stuff is a bit different.  Maybe my tastes have changed again?  But it's a start of a new year and I'm sure as time goes on I'll look for something new. 

Like all beers/stouts, the priority is to ensure they are cold as before you drink them and in this case the Dunkel beats the lager easily. 

Like everyone else I'm on the hunt for the IPA now. 

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Not that I'm fond of overly priced beer that honestly tastes like crap. 

I'm not overly fond of overpriced anything especially beer but I must say you have an advantage over me since I've never tasted crap.

My dearly belivid brought home a can of that Carabou stuff which I tasted and after the third, or it may have been the second mouthful, I suggested it should be used as the compost from which it was undoubtedly created.

I would dearly love to attempt some of the other beers mentioned above like Dunkel and Cheers Riceberry but sadly Buriram is less than forward in that respect (unless you know different). So for me the least unacceptable has to be Leo.

As I may have mentioned before I am a real ale man from the UK where there is a totally, made in heaven, plethorough of delicious beer. 

Edited by Muhendis

I tried the Carabou lager a couple days ago, better than expected after reading this thread, i would say try it, smooth with no petrol aftertaste, vaguely like Leo, not fizzy like Chang, no twang like Singh. Available from mom and pop shops

I tried the new Snowy IPA a few days ago and I must say I'm quite impressed. It's the New England style rather than a traditional style like Laobeer IPA, so it's got a pleasant bitterness to it.

It's available in 7//11 at a reasonable price, so I'll pick that when I'm trying to avoid the big three. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I would dearly love to attempt some of the other beers mentioned above like Dunkel and Cheers Riceberry but sadly Buriram is less than forward in that respect

Big C and Mini Big C have Cheers Riceberry, and is also my preferred beer. All others don't seem to stock it any more.

I tried Dunkel, but switched back to Riceberry

• Thumbs Up 1