Helmetless motorcycle rides in Thailand puts lives at risk

snoop1130

On 11/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, Road Warrior said:

i agree 100% amaze that so many forang don't use helmet !!!!   must have v low IQ as the non-foreigner's !!!!

Helmets are cheap and not that inconvenient. If parachutes were as cheap and convenient, everyone would have one when they fly. And people would think it is insanity to fly without one. But they aren't so we convince ourselves with some statistics that we will be fine when we fly.

But if someone has been motorcycle riding for 20 years with no accidents, someone like you thinks its insane if they dont wear a helmet every time.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, 4MyEgo said:

When the keystone cops here get serious and start booking people, day in, day out, then and then only then will you see lives saved.

The above said, they would have to keep it up, but they're too busy getting tea money from schools to direct traffic during the morning and afternoon.

So it remains the typical Thai attitude of "up to you".

Sadly and quite out of character for Thais (or at least I thought so at the time) but there wasn't the option given of "up to you" when it came to mask wearing during Covid. 

I still wonder why, when Thais seem to have such a cavalier attitude to everything else, including motorcycle helmets.

On 11/10/2023 at 2:45 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

How does that work when there are no statutes that permit impounding?

I've ni idea whether statutes exist or not but they certainly impound bikes for plenty of other reasons - the area where they keep impounded bikes at Pak Chong police station is rammed full.