What is your favourite British Cuisine?

Chris Daley

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I'm a bit of an American Anglophile, and often British food is unfairly castigated as awful.

I've had some wonderful meals in the UK, but then came Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie.

A friends wife cooked this many years ago when I was in the UK. To this day I'm not quite sure how to describe it. 

I'm Hispanic so the idea of offal doesn't worry me, liver, kidneys all good. But this meat concoction was one of the most terrible things I have ever experienced.

Then we get to the pastry topping. It starts off on the top as a flakey pastry but the underlying layers are some slithery goop, I really don't have the words to describe it.

I think your friends wife needs to hone her dinner party skills if that was what she served. It's pretty much viewed as an emergency meal in the UK, maybe if you've got one in the cupboard but can't get down the shop due to an earthquake, flood or alien invasion etc 

Regarding the pastry, you have just described all that is good about it 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Only 10 degrees in their rooms not 30 like real countries.

I was there when the temperature actually got up to the thirties, all the natives were lying around fanning themselves.

You see? You have lured me off-topic, after your sermon on another thread.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Whats the green stuff?

That's the liquor. A kind of parsley sauce but made with the stock from stewing eels which us strange people from in or around London eat called jellied eels. These are also slavered in malt vinegar. Peculiar chaps aren't we? I will forgive you just this once for not using the appropriate apostrophe in "what's"

The Adventures of The Chemist and The Mechanic: The Eels of Shakespeare ...

• Like 1

Just now, Keeps said:

That's the liquor. A kind of parsley sauce but made with the stock from stewing eels which us strange people from in or around London eat called jellied eels. These are also slavered in malt vinegar. Peculiar chaps aren't we? I will forgive you just this once for not using the appropriate apostrophe in "what's"

The Adventures of The Chemist and The Mechanic: The Eels of Shakespeare ...

Gross

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I'm a bit of an American Anglophile, and often British food is unfairly castigated as awful.

I

I can remember taking a colleague to an upmarket restaurant somewhere near Hyde Park in London. We had what was called typical British fare.

Total cost was 350 GBP, about 25 years ago. London was very expensive even then.

To be honest, I thought the food was about the same standard as a basic pub meal in Australia.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What about this great UK dish;

Chicken Tikka Masala!

A sumptuous culinary wonder, foodies have long considered chicken tikka masala — with its roasted chunks of succulent chicken doused in a creamy orange curry sauce — a testament to the UK’s status as a multicultural epicentre. But where did Britain’s unofficial national dish begin?

SCOTLAND!

A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala | Culture Trip (theculturetrip.com)

Scotland invented everything. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can remember taking a colleague to an upmarket restaurant somewhere near Hyde Park in London. We had what was called typical British fare.

Total cost was 350 GBP, about 25 years ago. London was very expensive even then.

To be honest, I thought the food was about the same standard as a basic pub meal in Australia.

Sounds about right. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Post reported. Bye. Shame you learnt nothing from the other topic. Try to be nice to people. Abuse says more about you than anybody else.

Let's see what happens first shall we? Let's see if common sense prevails?

• Love It 1

There is some whining about the Indian and Chinese food.  Well these recipes are only found in England now.  It's practically imposssible to find UK curries or Chinese food outside of England.

Even if you go to Chinese you will get a plate of colons and intestines.  It is not the same.

The Italian dishes are different as well.  I feel that British spag bol is in a class of its own.  It's either the same in which case the Italians will accept it, or it's not and they will say it is not done right.  It can't be both. 

I like my food not done right.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

There is some whining about the Indian and Chinese food.  Well these recipes are only found in England now.  It's practically imposssible to find UK curries or Chinese food outside of England.

Even if you go to Chinese you will get a plate of colons and intestines.  It is not the same.

The Italian dishes are different as well.  I feel that British spag bol is in a class of its own.  It's either the same in which case the Italians will accept it, or it's not and they will say it is not done right.  It can't be both. 

I like my food not done right.

Chinese food in the west is always different, same as Thai.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It invented copper wire, when two Scots had a tug of war with a penny.

No way Jimmy!

It was more likely a farthing they fought over or if later a Bawbee!

A bawbee was a Scottish sixpence. The word means a debased copper coin, valued at six pence Scots (equal at the time to an English half-penny), issued from the reign of James V of Scotland to the reign of William II of Scotland. They were hammered until 1677, when they were produced upon screw presses.

3 hours ago, Countryman said:

Pease pudding and boiled ham in a stottie  (google it )  A good black pudding ,

Craster Kippers, Cox's Orange pippin ,A ripe Conference Pear ,Victoria plums ,

I miss them all     Nearly forgot , a plate of Jersey Royals covered in butter .

I have been able to reproduce a reasonable stottie cake, and boiled ham is easy enough to make, but my peas pudding efforts are never up to scratch.

I would (almost) trade my first-born for a kilo of Jersey Royals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What about this great UK dish;

Chicken Tikka Masala!

A sumptuous culinary wonder, foodies have long considered chicken tikka masala — with its roasted chunks of succulent chicken doused in a creamy orange curry sauce — a testament to the UK’s status as a multicultural epicentre. But where did Britain’s unofficial national dish begin?

SCOTLAND!

A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala | Culture Trip (theculturetrip.com)

Resturant is The Shish Mahal in Glasgow, formerly on Gibson Street, now on Park Road. Shish Mahal translates as Glass House.

Now run / managed by Rashaid Ali, whose 3rd generation owner. Also my former squash partner.

Highly recommend their pakora.

• Like 1

So I'm gonna stir the pot between my Brit and Aussie friends.

One of my favorite Aussie foodies; Marions Kitchen, does some great Thai food, but delved into the Brit vs Aussie fish n chips, plus something that I have never found anywhere outside of the UK, chip shop curry sauce.

https://www.marionskitchen.com/british-fish-and-chips/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So I'm gonna stir the pot between my Brit and Aussie friends.

One of my favorite Aussie foodies; Marions Kitchen, does some great Thai food, but delved into the Brit vs Aussie fish n chips, plus something that I have never found anywhere outside of the UK, chip shop curry sauce.

https://www.marionskitchen.com/british-fish-and-chips/

Nookies Delights sells "Goldenfry" chip shop curry sauce granules 150 baht for a 300g tub.

• Like 1