What is your favourite British Cuisine?

Chris Daley

3 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Very easy to make for yourself Stocky

Yes I do remember, though it's something that evokes childhood memories, and of my mother's excellent cooking. Better to leave the memories as were. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Chicken Jalfrezi and Naan bread.

Butter, Madras, Korma, Masala are just as good.

Er - IMO that is Indian.

I'm not a fan of British cuisine in general, it's an oxymoron. Although I will say a full English breakfast can be quite palatable.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think you'd still have it if the Indians up and left?

The Brits I know, Anglo-Saxon variety, would struggle to boil water.

Most of the restaurants in my town were Bangladeshi owned, Muslims, so take your own beer.

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

What was you thinking?! You've opened up a huge can of worms now. Just wait for the usual suspects to come along. Apparently, there is no good British food. 555

I'm quoting myself here but I told you so! I notice the OP ducked out of the conversation early doors...He knew exactly what he was doing 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I'm quoting myself here but I told you so! I notice the OP ducked out of the conversation early doors...He knew exactly what he was doing 555

Won't be long before it goes tits up.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Fed up with beans on toast. Put the beans on the plate first and put the toast on top. (Thx to Viz)

Top tips from Viz - absolute quality! haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory. Just posting those tips as separate topics could crash this site. Don't know why you pulled that from the recesses of your memory but awfully glad you did :thumbsup:

What about this great UK dish;

Chicken Tikka Masala!

A sumptuous culinary wonder, foodies have long considered chicken tikka masala — with its roasted chunks of succulent chicken doused in a creamy orange curry sauce — a testament to the UK’s status as a multicultural epicentre. But where did Britain’s unofficial national dish begin?

SCOTLAND!

A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala | Culture Trip (theculturetrip.com)

• Haha 1

Just now, scottiejohn said:

What about this great UK dish;

Chicken Tikka Masala!

A sumptuous culinary wonder, foodies have long considered chicken tikka masala — with its roasted chunks of succulent chicken doused in a creamy orange curry sauce — a testament to the UK’s status as a multicultural epicentre. But where did Britain’s unofficial national dish begin?

SCOTLAND!

A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala | Culture Trip (theculturetrip.com)

The Orange being the colour and not the taste. I find it the most obnoxious of dishes in a so called Indian/Bangla restaurant, but I guess they must pamper to the wimps!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

I will probably get shot down in flames for this. Nowhere near as good as a homemade one but when needs must...

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie 425g | Approved Food

I used to have a whole one between to buttered slices of thick bread.

• Love It 2

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Haddock?

It was Haddock - kudos! Came with a pickled onion as well and just hiding under my fork was a bit of gherkin. 310 baht which I think was reasonable as you can get utter c#ap for 250+ baht. Thoroughly enjoyed it, not oily and piping hot. Again, good spot on the haddock front :thumbsup:

I was brought up on 'English' food in the NZ of the 50s & 60s. Went with the Queen being on her throne, London the centre of the universe and we won The War.

Problem was my mother didn't have a clue how to cook. Beef was inedible by the time she'd finished with it. Vegies were boiled to a pulp ... Only good thing was stuffed roast chicken (first killed by my Dad) & 'steam pud' for dessert on Sundays.

I'm afraid the words 'favourite' & 'cuisine' do not compute with 'English' or 'British'. Yuck!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I used to have a whole one between to buttered slices of thick bread.

If there was a dribbling option (mouth, nowhere else!) to click, I would have. A minced beef and onion pie sandwich with brown sauce, food of the gods.

• Thanks 1

Pease pudding and boiled ham in a stottie  (google it )  A good black pudding ,

Craster Kippers, Cox's Orange pippin ,A ripe Conference Pear ,Victoria plums ,

I miss them all     Nearly forgot , a plate of Jersey Royals covered in butter .

Edited by Countryman
Add on
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

The only British food I like is lamb shank, and I'm not sure if that is even a British food.  Eating fish and chips is like eating at Long John Silver in the US. Everything else is aweful. Though I am not a big proponent of American fast food joints, their extreme popularity in the UK as well as worldwide speaks volumes. Long live America!

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

That's not British food. It's Indian. Just because it's now very popular in Britain doesn't mean it's now British. The popularity of Indian food there is due to the low quality local cuisine offered. I postulate that if the Thais had been in Britain before the Indians, Thai food would be the #1 food there. 

Think you'll find that food served in India is not the same as Indian food served in the UK. Therefore UK Indian food is traditional to the UK.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1