What is your favourite British Cuisine?

Chris Daley

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Britannica's definition of 'Cuisine' which is in the title of this topic is:

'Cuisine, the foods and methods of preparation traditional to a region or population'.

I would suggest Indian food is not traditional to Britain.

Cuisine | Definition, Types, & Facts | Britannica

The Indian food served in the UK is traditional to the UK, you'll not find the same in India.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

I will probably get shot down in flames for this. Nowhere near as good as a homemade one but when needs must...

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie 425g | Approved Food

Reasonably tasty, but I was always scared of lacerating myself opening them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I was brought up on 'English' food in the NZ of the 50s & 60s. Went with the Queen being on her throne, London the centre of the universe and we won The War.

Problem was my mother didn't have a clue how to cook. Beef was inedible by the time she'd finished with it. Vegies were boiled to a pulp ... Only good thing was stuffed roast chicken (first killed by my Dad) & 'steam pud' for dessert on Sundays.

I'm afraid the words 'favourite' & 'cuisine' do not compute with 'English' or 'British'. Yuck!

So what was New Zealand cuisine in the 50's and 60's?

26 minutes ago, Cardano said:

The Indian food served in the UK is traditional to the UK, you'll not find the same in India.

Traditional ;- 'following or belonging to the customs or ways of behaving that have continued in a group of people or society for a long time without changing'.

TRADITIONAL | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

• Haha 1

‘What is your favourite British Cuisine?‘

Cod ‘n’ chips.

I too saw that YT vid about a small flat piece of haddock and 9 chips for £37 in Harrods, truly outrageous and not best quality to boot.

British food years ago included boiled beef and carrots, Shepherd’s Pie, sausages and mash. They liked tripe and black pudding in the North.

7 minutes ago, roo860 said:

So what was New Zealand cuisine in the 50's and 60's?

Just as I've described - English-derived, with poor cuts of meat from untrained butchers. Only the sweet things were 'nice' - pikelets & steam pud. Generally mealtimes were painful.

A visit to Tahiti to live with a French family for 4 weeks between school & varsity in 66/67 was an eye-opener. I ate real food for the first time in my life. Couldn't believe it when we went out to a French restaurant on my second night there and the hors-d'oeuvres were wheeled in on a large trolley - about 15 or so dishes, and just for starters. Heavenly.

Sorry mates, not a fan at all.  One reason I couldn't live, or even visit there.  Not a fan of Brit, or Indian food.  

And fish & chips ... only one thing comes to mind.   How to ruin a good piece of white fish ...

... deep fry it.

When lived in Udon Thani, did eat my fair share of meat pies (steak & shrooms), but think I was there more for the pints, black & tan/Guinness & Kilkenny.   Pies may have simply been a break from Thai food & Pizza.  

Was a regular at Brit Pub in Philly, during happy hour, as having one of the best beer selections.  But never ate there, which bartender always chuckled about, knowing I was going to pig out as soon as I left.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

What about this great UK dish;

Chicken Tikka Masala!

A sumptuous culinary wonder, foodies have long considered chicken tikka masala — with its roasted chunks of succulent chicken doused in a creamy orange curry sauce — a testament to the UK’s status as a multicultural epicentre. But where did Britain’s unofficial national dish begin?

SCOTLAND!

A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala | Culture Trip (theculturetrip.com)

So that would be Britain then

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sorry mates, not a fan at all.  One reason I couldn't live, or even visit there.  Not a fan of Brit, or Indian food.  

And fish & chips ... only one thing comes to mind.   How to ruin a good piece of white fish ...

... deep fry it.

When lived in Udon Thani, did eat my fair share of meat pies (steak & shrooms), but think I was there more for the pints, black & tan/Guinness & Kilkenny.   Pies may have simply been a break from Thai food & Pizza.  

Was a regular at Brit Pub in Philly, during happy hour, as having one of the best beer selections.  But never ate there, which bartender always chuckled about, knowing I was going to pig out as soon as I left.  

Bit rich from a yank, would you like plastic cheese from a can on everything sir?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Reasonably tasty, but I was always scared of lacerating myself opening them.

Not the easiest things to navigate but got myself a decent tin opener. Gives the guns a work out too. I hasten to add I don't indulge too often. Years ago when I was spending a bit of time in Udon (past life) the next door neighbours little girl would come around to "Kin Steak" as she would say. 4 years old and couldn't get enough of a Fray Bentos, bless her.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Bit rich from a yank, would you like plastic cheese from a can on everything sir?

An expect response, and almost didn't post because of that.  Expect more to follow.  Won't reply, just expressing my thoughts, after reading the first couple replies.

Title asked ... I answered.

Not my fault you don't like the answer ... cheers :cheers:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keeps said:

I will probably get shot down in flames for this. Nowhere near as good as a homemade one but when needs must...

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie 425g | Approved Food

Now I'm a bit of an American Anglophile, and often British food is unfairly castigated as awful.

I've had some wonderful meals in the UK, but then came Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie.

A friends wife cooked this many years ago when I was in the UK. To this day I'm not quite sure how to describe it. 

I'm Hispanic so the idea of offal doesn't worry me, liver, kidneys all good. But this meat concoction was one of the most terrible things I have ever experienced.

Then we get to the pastry topping. It starts off on the top as a flakey pastry but the underlying layers are some slithery goop, I really don't have the words to describe it.

Not one of the export products to be proud of Gentlemen

• Haha 2

Pie, mash and liquor. More of a London thing. The liquor made from the juice they stewed the eels in for jellied eels. Pie cannot be anything other than minced beef, none of your fancy chicken and mushroom... Lashings of malt vinegar

Pie, mash and liquor. | Food of the Gods. Absolutely gorgeou… | Flickr

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Just as I've described - English-derived, with poor cuts of meat from untrained butchers. Only the sweet things were 'nice' - pikelets & steam pud. Generally mealtimes were painful.

A visit to Tahiti to live with a French family for 4 weeks between school & varsity in 66/67 was an eye-opener. I ate real food for the first time in my life. Couldn't believe it when we went out to a French restaurant on my second night there and the hors-d'oeuvres were wheeled in on a large trolley - about 15 or so dishes, and just for starters. Heavenly.

French food, a belch and a fart and its gone 😁

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Pie, mash and liquor. More of a London thing. The liquor made from the juice they stewed the eels in for jellied eels. Pie cannot be anything other than minced beef, none of your fancy chicken and mushroom... Lashings of malt vinegar

Pie, mash and liquor. | Food of the Gods. Absolutely gorgeou… | Flickr

Whats the green stuff?

• Haha 1