Makro Prices

NoshowJones

A canned cooked meat product made from ground pork and processed ham. Who doesn’t want it, or need it. Still, in these dark days many are forced to cut the luxuries of life. However why cut out that ground pork goodness entirely? No reason for that, budget options do exist OP.  

download (4).jpg

18 hours ago, novacova said:

The fixation those of you on the left is that you can’t admit Biden&Co is responsible for global inflation, yet you come here and complain about the prices increasing at Makro. This is an example of the inherent internal contradictions of what the left carries. Complete silliness of those offended by the facts. Oil drives the economy, simple economics.

That's one if the most ridiculous comments without fact or support coming from a trumpette. The latest round of inflation started because of trumps tax cuts, the covid debacle, the over reaction monetary easing due to impact on supplies, then the over control of currency and the global greed of big business, all before Biden stepped foot in office.  Do some fact finding research, it'll help you understand the global dynamics a bit better.  And so its clear I'm not a lefty or right.  I play in the middle regardless of political party

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And lots of products cancelled.

Yes indeed, I mention this before, I used to buy a jar of anchovies, net 750g for 770 thb, now a 245g jar for 600 thb. And the big pot is now out of the range....of course.

But what do you expect, it has been taken over by one of the 3 richest companies in Thailand, they call the shots and set the high prices.
I also read recently that the Thai 'central Group' is now also buying up european department stores.

So, they now not only buy up foreign companies in Thailand but also do so abroad.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Agree 1

On 11/23/2023 at 6:12 PM, kelboy said:

If that what worries you then you have too much time on your hands, spam is not real food anyway. 

That's what I thought. A commonality when people retire and have fewer things to worry about in life, though, is even something as innocuous as SPAM (lol) and 'untenable' price increases thereof could apparently send one over the edge.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, novacova said:

Everything is more expensive because your friend Biden&Co cut off oil production in the US, which happens to have the largest oil reserves on the planet 

Can you provide a valid evidentiary source for that outlandish claim? If not, then it's baseless (and therefore worthless). 

All I can find is where Biden, although he initially promised to halt drilling on federal lands and stop issuing offshore oil-drilling leases has ultimately not carried through on these promises (albeit partly because of legal action).

­Biden’s Oil Letdown: Despite pledge to stop public lands drilling, Trump-era drilling boom continues

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 6:12 PM, kelboy said:

If that what worries you then you have too much time on your hands, spam is not real food anyway. 

Perhaps that is true but the so-called real ham is not what it used to be either, often it is collected pieces, stuck together with glue.
Real hind ham is also no longer affordable here, for 2 slices I already pay 104 bath (75gr) It's even more expensive than in Europe while Thailand is the land of pigs.

13 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Perhaps that is true but the so-called real ham is not what it used to be either, often it is collected pieces, stuck together with glue.
Real hind ham is also no longer affordable here, for 2 slices I already pay 104 bath (75gr) It's even more expensive than in Europe while Thailand is the land of pigs.

You could simply stop paying people to make things for you, and simply make your own ham.  Pork loin, tenderloin, shoulder/butt in the <150 baht a kg range.

Live by your choice 😎

On 11/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, NoshowJones said:

I see Makro in Nakhon Sawan has increased the price of a tin of spam from around 220 Bt to 260 Bt How can the justify that? Oh I know the Russian/Ukraine war. Never mind, when the war is over I suppose the price will be back to normal.

Is Spam actually a healthy food product, that is the burning question

• Like 1

I think you should set up a card table out the front of Makro with signs alerting people to this massive extortion and collect signatures of people similarly so outraged to present to Makro management demanding they stop raising their prices. Once a week rallies with placards and a convoy of cars driving in circles around the car park. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, NextG said:

Price of locally made Greek style yoghurt has leapt up from 99 baht to 165 baht per 400 grams. 
https://www.delcasaro.com/

So it’s not just Makro and clearly nothing to do with the USA nor any war in some cases. 

I think in most cases it's because they can, in other words just pure greed.

16 hours ago, Dcheech said:

A canned cooked meat product made from ground pork and processed ham. Who doesn’t want it, or need it. Still, in these dark days many are forced to cut the luxuries of life. However why cut out that ground pork goodness entirely? No reason for that, budget options do exist OP.  

download (4).jpg

I don't actually like this.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I think in most cases it's because they can, in other words just pure greed.

The satisfaction comes from seeing that it’s no longer moving from the shelves. Prior to the price rise, it would disappear from the shelves within a day or two. You might have to visit a couple of times to find stock. Now it looks as if no one buys it at all. 
I think they just changed the price to match similar products on the shelves, but obviously people then just buy what they bought before. The lower price made it attractive.  

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

You could simply stop paying people to make things for you, and simply make your own ham.  Pork loin, tenderloin, shoulder/butt in the <150 baht a kg range.

Live by your choice 😎

Ha, ha, because the high price, I was already searching for this but it is not so easy to make good ham, It must first be pickled and then cooked in a special way.

Because of that reason, I just gave up on it.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, Dan O said:

I heard its because there was a large influx of Hawaiian restaurants opening so supply is at an all time low

And for Korean food.  The USA soldiers brought it during the Korean War, the Koreans loved it, and still use it for a number of dishes.

In Korea, Spam Isn't Junk Meat — It's A Treat

49 minutes ago, NextG said:

The satisfaction comes from seeing that it’s no longer moving from the shelves. Prior to the price rise, it would disappear from the shelves within a day or two. You might have to visit a couple of times to find stock. Now it looks as if no one buys it at all. 
I think they just changed the price to match similar products on the shelves, but obviously people then just buy what they bought before. The lower price made it attractive.  

That is how it often works now with the computer systems involved. They increase prices until sales slow, and then put it back down until sales increases. It is a never ending game to be able to sell the most volume at the most price. Sometimes their costs have risen so they pass that on, but more often they are just getting the most profit that they can. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is how it often works now with the computer systems involved. They increase prices until sales slow, and then put it back down until sales increases. It is a never ending game to be able to sell the most volume at the most price. Sometimes their costs have risen so they pass that on, but more often they are just getting the most profit that they can. 

I wrote to the producer … to no reply. 

22 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure what people are complaining about. For those who live on disgusting processed foods the cumulative cost of food over time will be much less because of the reduction in your life expectancy.

I have been eating "disgusting processed foods" processed foods for most of my 79 years and I am still going fairly well.

How old are you?