Makro Prices

NoshowJones

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Ha, ha, because the high price, I was already searching for this but it is not so easy to make good ham, It must first be pickled and then cooked in a special way.

Because of that reason, I just gave up on it.

I used to make it from the hind leg of a pig, but I gave up as I was to only person to eat it, 5 kg of ham is a lot to eat on your own.

I used to do the wet cure and the dry cure, and found the dry cure was best, but it was simply too much for one person.

21 hours ago, Dcheech said:

A canned cooked meat product made from ground pork and processed ham. Who doesn’t want it, or need it. Still, in these dark days many are forced to cut the luxuries of life. However why cut out that ground pork goodness entirely? No reason for that, budget options do exist OP.  

download (4).jpg

I like both ot then deep fried and crispy but I have a 65 km trip each way to get some, and TBH I can't be bothered nowadays.

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have been eating "disgusting processed foods" processed foods for most of my 79 years and I am still going fairly well.

How old are you?

74 and I'm not attracted to disgusting processed foods but I'm trying to cut down on the more attractive ones (muesli, granola, rolled oats; lovely little cakes at Amazon & Starbucks; sugar of all kinds; boiled white rice (sigh)  ... ).

As far as I'm aware I'm doing fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, novacova said:

The fixation those of you on the left is that you can’t admit Biden&Co is responsible for global inflation, yet you come here and complain about the prices increasing at Makro. This is an example of the inherent internal contradictions of what the left carries. Complete silliness of those offended by the facts. Oil drives the economy, simple economics.

I don't agree with you regards who is to blame for inflation but since most members on this platform take money from overseas then convert to baht I should imagine most are better off now with virtually all currency .I know that I have chf and I'm not complaining of a 10% increase in food costs in Thailand 

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I used to make it from the hind leg of a pig, but I gave up as I was to only person to eat it, 5 kg of ham is a lot to eat on your own.

I used to do the wet cure and the dry cure, and found the dry cure was best, but it was simply too much for one person.

Clearly, the Germans as much as the Dutch like to eat ham, but I am still very curious to know what the 'dry cure' contents are, surely those 5 kg can be kept in vacuum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mfd101 said:

74 and I'm not attracted to disgusting processed foods but I'm trying to cut down on the more attractive ones (muesli, granola, rolled oats; lovely little cakes at Amazon & Starbucks; sugar of all kinds; boiled white rice (sigh)  ... ).

As far as I'm aware I'm doing fine.

I may be a little ahead of you as I don't eat muesli, granola, rolled oats; lovely little cakes at Amazon & Starbucks; sugar of all kinds; boiled white rice (sigh)  ... ).

I only use added sugar in home made bread and rarely eat boiled white rice, unless my wife serves it at my evening meal.

My breakfast is usually 3 from 5 of apples. bananas, grapes, mango and pineapple, depending what is at the market. plus a yoghurt, half at breakfast time and half for supper around 10 pm. I also have 2 slices of homemade bread or toast with butter, a slice of cheese and 2 slices of plain chicken bologna,  flavoured cream cheese triangle, jam or marmalade, but different from the day before.

Lunch is usually the other half of dinner from the night before. Otherwise it is catchit from the fridge.

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Clearly, the Germans as much as the Dutch like to eat ham, but I am still very curious to know what the 'dry cure' contents are, surely those 5 kg can be kept in vacuum.

There are so many variations of dry cured ham and I am sure the last time I used this one, modified to what I liked and also to what I had in my store cupboard.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/air-cured-ham-smoked-pork-recipe-1447032

The problem for me is that If I bought a vacuum sealer and the bags etc, I would only use it maybe once or twice a year.

They are cheap enough to buy, along with the bags, on Lazada. I will have to talk to 'er indoors and see if she would make use of it as well. Then it may be worth considering.

I just caught her in between spring cleaning and. like me, would get little use from one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The problem for me is that If I bought a vacuum sealer and the bags etc, I would only use it maybe once or twice a year.

They are cheap enough to buy, along with the bags, on Lazada. I will have to talk to 'er indoors and see if she would make use of it as well. Then it may be worth considering.

I just caught her in between spring cleaning and. like me, would get little use from one.

I just picked one up, regret not doing so much earlier.  I buy some cheeses (Mozella & parmesan) in bulk (1 or 2 kg).  They freeze well, Cheddar you have to grate first, then freeze. 

Great when making a batch of sausage.  Making scapple today or tomorrow.  I can't eat peanuts fast enough, and make peanut butter in 250gr batches.   

It all keeps much longer vacuum sealed.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:04 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is how it often works now with the computer systems involved. They increase prices until sales slow, and then put it back down until sales increases. It is a never ending game to be able to sell the most volume at the most price. Sometimes their costs have risen so they pass that on, but more often they are just getting the most profit that they can. 

AI-controlled dynamic pricing & product selection.

"You will buy what we want you to buy, at the price we want you to pay."

Or, consumers might just balk at this latest manipulation.  My local supermarket seems to have ever fewer customers ...

13 hours ago, Lee65 said:

AI-controlled dynamic pricing & product selection.

"You will buy what we want you to buy, at the price we want you to pay."

Or, consumers might just balk at this latest manipulation.  My local supermarket seems to have ever fewer customers ...

That is the only thing that will work - people refusing to buy the products at that shop.

That is why they have such massive discounts on some products every now and then.

The scammed so much that no one bought the stuff anymore - and they already made massive profits - so they just clear out the stock.

All this to 'Spam' Biden about inflation?! I should have guessed, but even I don't realize how pathetically desperate some are today. As for Spam, I ran into this last week and couldn't help buying one for a holiday season ornament. Back up for the coming zombie apocalypse too.

Good Eats.

turk370748742_6797961433618166_9028818000308574687_n.jpg

Edited by Dcheech

On 11/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, mfd101 said:

Not sure what people are complaining about. For those who live on disgusting processed foods the cumulative cost of food over time will be much less because of the reduction in your life expectancy.

Gotta love those rat tails and chicken lips.

Finger lickin' good!

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crickey, I didn't think anyone ate that stuff anymore. 

Hawaii has the largest consumption per capita of Spam in the U.S., 7 million cans a year.  One very popular use is in Spam musubi, a Hawaii style sushi.  We bring a dozen cans with us when we visit Thailand.  I have taught my niece to make Spam musubi and it quickly disappears when we have guests over.

I buy for it for a third of what Makro charges.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Having grown up in Hawaii where among native islanders spam is sadly one of the most consumed "proteins," I automatically think of people who eat this crap as utterly uneducated about the most basic aspects of nutrition, tribal in their thinking, with a high likelihood of being morbidly obese. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Having grown up in Hawaii where among native islanders spam is sadly one of the most consumed "proteins," I automatically think of people who eat this crap as utterly uneducated about the most basic aspects of nutrition, tribal in their thinking, with a high likelihood of being morbidly obese. 

My first time to Guam I'm at the Navy Exchange and I see more varieties of Spam than I thought possible. They call it Guam Steak.

• Like 2