Late road tax?

proton

Once the vehicle is six years old since first registered it has to have an annual test at an approved test station (the yellow gearwheel icon on a blue background). You have to present the Test Certificate to the person issuing the annual road tax sticker along with evidence of payment of the minimum insurance. It makes sense to align your insurance renewal to the same time frame and do both (or three) things back-to-back. Your insurer should be sending you a reminder before expiry.

One odd but welcome thing is that as your vehicle gets older the road tax reduces.

As mentioned. Late renewal of road tax wont raise an eyebrow from the issuer. They simply factor in the 'fine' pro rata and charge the payer. The new tax 'sticker' is IIRC backdated to the last expiry.

8 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

All of the above is true.

Just don't get stopped by police. That's a 200 Baht on the spot fine

They fined me 300 baht even though I had a New Tax sticker, it had fallen down and was resting on the dash, my missus even held it up for them. Wonkers!

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. That's good to know. Does anyone know how early road tax can be renewed? 1 month, 3 months before or different - want to avoid being late or getting fined by police. 

One month for tax and vehicle inspection.

Three months for renewing 5 yr driving license.

There is a potential annoyance: the tax sticker will always be on same date for every year.

But comprehensive insurance (voluntary) goes from date of application.

So this is date that one should take care for in case.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1