I found a hair in my Pizza.

bob smith

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On Topic: 

IMO - Bob did the right thing to complain. 

With such complain can only come improvement...  it ultimately helps the business in the long term. 

If people provide feedback the establishment can response and make improvements. 

If people don't provide feedback the establishment will not improve, people will stop returning, business will die. 

Thus: in providing feed back, Bob has given the establishment a chance to improve...    If they don't thats on them. 

This might work in Western culture. In Thai culture, complaining is the same as insulting the person. It's why I prefer to say nothing, and never go back.

it's probably also why so many small businesses in Thailand go under.

• Like 1

Just now, bignok said:

Yeah Ive eaten in top places. Apart from sauces not worth it. Just food anyway.

A 2000 baht meal ends up in the toilet too.

Your 'top places' are 2000 baht ???... erm...     

Your comment 'just food anyway' highlights just how little idea you have....  its just food to you, probably just like 'wine is just booze' or 'a good Whisky is just alcohol'... 'A good coffee is the same as instant'....    etc etc... 

Any further discussion with someone devoid of appreciation of anything beyond the most simplistic and base standards and quality is pointless - discussion such issues with a 'reverse snob' is a waste of time. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Your 'top places' are 2000 baht ???... erm...     

Your comment 'just food anyway' highlights just how little idea you have....  its just food to you, probably just like 'wine is just booze' or 'a good Whisky is just alcohol'... 'A good coffee is the same as instant'....    etc etc... 

Any further discussion with someone devoid of appreciation of anything beyond the most simplistic and base standards and quality is pointless - discussion such issues with a 'reverse snob' is a waste of time. 

I've had about 40 good single malts, 300 beers, 500 red wines.

I've eaten $200 meals.

Yeah it's nice but it's just food.

No big deal.

All pretentious crap really.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This might work in Western culture. In Thai culture, complaining is the same as insulting the person. It's why I prefer to say nothing, and never go back.

Thais need to grow up and break this mindset, otherwise they will always be perpetually skint.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bob smith said:

a couple years back I was eating a cheeseburger in a cafe minding my own business when some old 2 week holiday tart came up to my table and said 'why dont you try some Thai food instead?' 

that really wound me up, so much so she almost got covered in beer the cheeky cow!.

I would have expected you to have made some lewd joke about already having eaten some 'hoi' earlier.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Valid point - but I wouldn't tar all food establishments in Thailand with that same brush, many are obviously run very well.

Some do take affront to any form of criticism whatsoever...  others, respond well.... 

If I like a place, its always good to highlight if anything didn't go well - there is a correct way and a wrong way to go about this too.

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

All pretentious crap really.

Which was so very obviously wasted on you...    

... Its ok to be an uncultured and an unrefined bogan, it keeps the world interesting... but don't be so unintelligent as to assume that because you don't get it there is a sweeping generalisation be made....  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I dont eat in those places everyday, I also like to play the role of cheap Charlie from time to time.

Though the flashing of the Rolex usually prevents me from doing so..

Don't worry too much. Somchai working his rise field wears one too. You can get them for 100 or so baht.

If it was an Omega though.....

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which was so very obviously wasted on you...    

... Its ok to be an uncultured and an unrefined bogan, it keeps the world interesting... but don't be so unintelligent as to assume that because you don't get it there is a sweeping generalisation be made....  

I'm not a bogan. I'm just a realist. 69 baht curry tastes as good as some <deleted> $100 dish anyway.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In that case its for the best that you still to your 69 baht curries...  as anything more expensive than that is most certainly wasted on you.

That said, price is not an absolute measure of quality.... but its also quite obvious that you have absolutely no measure of quality and are thus far from qualified to be making your idiotic dumbed down generalisations. 

Quality, does require quality ingredients and they often come at a premium... 

But... If you think a 69 baht curry is better than a dry aged wagyu rib eye... knock-yourself out... 

I've eaten wagyu from Perth. It's nice. Just food though.

Why masturbate over food?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On Topic: 

IMO - Bob did the right thing to complain. 

With such complain can only come improvement...  it ultimately helps the business in the long term. 

Thus: in providing feed back, Bob has given the establishment a chance to improve...    If they don't thats on them. 

Fully agree with you @richard_smith237, the mature sensible thing, unlike the Gen Z'ders who would have photo'd it and put it on TickyTok and all their other platforms to increase their profile, without thinking of the negative impact it causes.

Sent food back at Rick Steins in the pass, discreet and without fuss, much understanding on their part and rewarded accordingly.

Same for Simpson's in The Strand, and a corked bottle of wine at the old Wheeler's in Soho.

All this story of hair/hare has got me pining for civet de lièvre.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bignok said:

Angry guy, western food in Thailand is always hit and miss. Seems you learnt nothing.

It's like ordering Mexican in France.

There's 2 Lanna restaurants in Bangkok that I know that has 69 baht curries. As good as any expensive one.

There's also a good steak restaurant near Don Muang.

When I was here before as a tourist on and off between 1997 and 2014 I had more hits than misses viz foreign food. Note that I said foreign, not Western.

It was not at all like ordering Mexican in France. If that's been your experience it's probably because you're too tight to spring for a proper meal.

As I already mentioned, under proper supervision Thai cooks can make very decent non-Thai food. Eg. had loads of tasty "English breakfasts" up and down the country, mostly in Pattaya (in the old days before the good places went under).

As for your recommendations, well I already said I don't like Thai food, it's too simplistic and more than a few of the dishes are inedible because of their obsession with chili, so not sure why you mentioned Lanna Thai except to show off.

Good steak is expensive. I know this because I grew up in Sydney when meat was relatively cheap and I've had (almost) the full gamut from cheap pub lunches to Aussie Wagyu filet. Couldn't afford much beyond that but the good stuff that I did get to eat was delicious, mostly eye filet cooked medium rare and so soft you barely needed to chew it.

So I can't take your Don Muaeng recommendation seriously. You're a miser that thinks mutton tastes like lamb. Reckon I'll save up my pennies and try one of the posh places instead.

In the meantime I'll talk to some of the more sensible BMs and see if they've got any actual useful recommendations.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, bignok said:

I'm not a bogan. I'm just a realist. 69 baht curry tastes as good as some <deleted> $100 dish anyway.

It's good you like the simple things in life and a few 69 baht curries can hit the spot but after a few days you get sick of them and they normally laden with salt and MSG and and what not so you move to something better quality. Doesn't make you a <deleted> to have cheap medium and expensive from time to time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid point - but I wouldn't tar all food establishments in Thailand with that same brush, many are obviously run very well.

Some do take affront to any form of criticism whatsoever...  others, respond well.... 

If I like a place, its always good to highlight if anything didn't go well - there is a correct way and a wrong way to go about this too.

There are some very well run restaurants in Chiang Rai, even the humble Big C food court where I get a 65 baht pad thai goong.

There's only two restaurants I would never go back to in Chiang Mai, after living there 10 years. One went under, AFAIK the other is still serving stone cold food to its customers.

It's a lottery. There was a restaurant on Mahidol road in CM that made a seafood marinara to die for. 150 baht. It closed, possibly because the food was too good for what they were charging.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do want you want over your food... 

Any discussion or debate with you is pointless - being dragged down to a fools level... 

I'm out - not because I can't entertain the opinions of others, but because the opinions of some specific people are so brainless any discussion is simply a complete waste.

Ok pretender

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1