Price of electricity from January-April to rise

snoop1130

electricity_bill.png

The Energy Regulatory Commission of Thailand has set new electricity charges, ranging from 4.68 baht to 5.95 baht/unit from January until April, 2024.

The price from September until December this year has been 3.99 baht/unit.

At its meeting today, the commission approved an 89.55 satang/unit Fuel Tariff (FT) for the January-April period, which will raise the price of electricity to an average of 69.07 satang/unit. When adding in the power base rate of 3.78 baht/unit, the new price of electricity will average 4.68 baht/unit, excluding VAT.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

21 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

the new price of electricity will average 4.68 baht/unit, excluding VAT.

Approx

0.122 EUR

0.134 USD

0.106 GBP

In Germany easily triple the price.

Whats your home country price?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

The PBS article is badly written...confusing as heck...at least to me.   I think what they are really saying is the Ft portion is going to increase from the current 20.48 stang per KWH for the Sep-Dec period (this gets added to the basic rate per KWH)...then add on tax, meter fee,etc.  

Assuming I'm right say a person uses 1000KWH per month which at the current Ft rate of 20.48 stang would result in an electric bill of approx Bt4,734 which includes tax, fees, everything according to the MEA (Bangkok electric company) online bill calculator for 1.2 Residential service like my standalone house. 

Now, if using the "previous Ft rate for Aug which was 91.19 stang per KWH then 1000KWH would cost Bt5,491.  Yes, I know that not the 89.55 stang Ft rate quoted in the news article beginning Jan 2024 but I had to use the 91.19 rate (which is a little higher than the upcoming Ft rate) since it's hard coded in the Ft pull down menu and a person can't manually enter a Ft rate.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/our-services/mea-service/e-service/electric-monthly-calculate

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

The PBS article is badly written...confusing as heck...at least to me.   I think what they are really saying is the Ft portion is going to increase from the current 20.48 stang per KWH for the Sep-Dec period (this gets added to the basic rate per KWH)...then add on tax, meter fee,etc.  

Assuming I'm right say a person uses 1000KWH per month which at the current Ft rate of 20.48 stang would result in an electric bill of approx Bt4,734 which includes tax, fees, everything according to the MEA (Bangkok electric company) online bill calculator for 1.2 Residential service like my standalone house. 

Now, if using the "previous Ft rate for Aug which was 91.19 stang per KWH then 1000KWH would cost Bt5,491.  Yes, I know that not the 89.55 stang Ft rate quoted in the news article beginning Jan 2024 but I had to use the 91.19 rate (which is a little higher than the upcoming Ft rate) since it's hard coded in the Ft pull down menu and a person can't manually enter a Ft rate.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/our-services/mea-service/e-service/electric-monthly-calculate

You must be very bored!

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

I keep a home in the US . My electricity bill has doubled in the last year.. Almost cheaper for me to live in a hotel in Asia or SA than pay the utility bills back home.. Same with food prices.

Have all the U.S. states doubled their electricity? Or just a few states, including the one your house is in? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That will be a heck of an increase for many Thais. Thank you PM (not).

Stop wasting tax payers money on mega projects and help the millions of folk that voted you in.

It only went so low because they promised to reduce it for 3 months. Time's up so it will now be a little over the price when they reduced it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I seldom use an air-conditioner (which is the biggest user of electricity in a home), as I find that a powerful fan keeps me cool enough for a fraction of the cost. Doing that keeps my electricity bill in the range of 600-800 baht per month. I just point the fan at myself. I don't need to cool the whole room to cool myself. Try it.

Be careful, there is such a thing as fan death. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are not in Germany and if want to make comparisons like that the you have to include things like average salary, minimum wage and welfare payments for those out of work, average anual income in the UK is over 40k a year  or almost 2m baht

Rubbish.

Annual income is about 35K

Check here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/averageweeklyearningsingreatbritain/november2023

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Pib said:

The PBS article is badly written...confusing as heck...at least to me. 

Not only to you.

That's why I simplified it. 

So many wannabe mods here who tell you what is allowed to discuss/compare.

The forum sucks more and more.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Furioso said:

Be careful, there is such a thing as fan death. 

I have been sleeping in front of a fan for nearly 30 years, and somehow I'm still alive - perhaps because I don't point the fan at my face because it's my body that I want to cool while I sleep, and not my face.

Anyway, anyone who believes such a silly thing deserves to have higher electricity bills:

https://inmykorea.com/korean-fan-death-myth/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

The chap who comes round from PEA to read the meter has a hand held gadget which thinks of a number, adds on a few per cent and then takes away a bit, and then prints out a bill.

The bloke who does the water supply comes around at a random time and date, every few weeks, consults a battered notebook and asks for cash. He stands on the road outside and shouts because he is scared of my chihuahuas! If I am not at home or do not answer his shouts he turns it off and beetles off. The valve is inside my property so I turn it on again, no one seems to check - never issues a bill or receipt!

• Haha 1