Do you put up the Christmas lights ?

CharlieH

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Christmas is hardly just a Christian holiday, and Thailand has far more silly holidays a year than most Christian countries!  At least you can buy booze at Christmas!

Christ mas ... about as Christian as one can get, followed by Good Friday & Easter, and the basis of the Christian faith.

Santa & the Bunny are commercial fabrications, not that the Christian belief isn't, but UP2them (plural use)

Festive fun.  Some years we've skipped having a tree up when we've had a property on the market for sale.  This year, we're in our new house so we've put the tree up and decorated it, along with some other holiday decorations, plus put some lights on one of our small patio trees.  With a bigger living room and higher ceilings, we got a new, taller tree at Index, which had a nice selection.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sticking with the Christmas theme and the general misery expressed on this thread so far, I see that Shane MacGowan from the Pogues has passed away. Fairytale of New York is one of the great Christmas songs. Up there with Slade and Wizard. Shane would have been on for a massive royalty cheque come January which he will never get to spend.

fa la la la la......

I'm not really a Christmas kinda guy, pretty much a grinch.

But my wife always tried to make it special when our son was little, and she loved the whole Christmas tree, decorations thing.

Fast forward 20 odd years, son is long grown up and now it's grandkids and the same is true, she just loves making that little bit of magic for them.

For me, I work at the local airport. The holiday music loop has started, and I swear to God if I ever meet that damn Rudolf, that deer is gonna get a bullet between the eyes!

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Christ mas ... about as Christian as one can get, followed by Good Friday & Easter, and the basis of the Christian faith.

Santa & the Bunny are commercial fabrications, not that the Christian belief isn't, but UP2them (plural use)

Of course.  But back in my home country, the vast majority of citizens celebrating Christmas are not practising Christians. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes we do put some lights out in the front garden,  and a small tree with all the trimmings inside

all the malls are already decorated and playing Christmas songs ..  my favorite is the  local Lotus's wheen the have a live chorus line of young ladies adorned in Christmas attire  ( with antlers)   singing a live version of   "Ringle Bells"

• Like 1

If Mrs. Morch's youngest niece makes an appearance, than yes. Did the same for her older brother a while back. And other family kids long time ago. In this house we got a Jack-fruit tree  that turned out shaped like a Christmas tree (no fruit) so easy to decorate. Then there's the uncle (me...) to act as Santa (she learned that from one mall or the other in Bangkok). Apparently, I'm a good choice as my gifts are higher quality, miraculously what she hopes for, my beard ain't fake (there was an incident...) and I'm not 'fat'.

It's just a bit of fun, nothing more. They grow out of it pretty quick, though they still like getting presents.

There's a nearby garden that does a very nice light-show, plan to take them there as well.

Edited by Morch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:10 AM, Ralf001 said:

Do they ?

Yes. Our small local mall put theirs up in November, before Loy Krathong which, like Diwali, is a festival of light (as was the pagan festival Christmas was grafted on to). Mr DIY got the Christmas stock out at the same time 

Do you not go out much? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Yes. Our small local mall put theirs up in November, before Loy Krathong which, like Diwali, is a festival of light (as was the pagan festival Christmas was grafted on to). Mr DIY got the Christmas stock out at the same time 

Do you not go out much? 

I dont do shopping malls or places that target tourists.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I dont do shopping malls or places that target tourists.

Mr DIY doesn't target tourists - and nor does our little mall, it's there for local residents. Even our weekend street market has Christmas stuff! PS We live in Bangkok, but in what you might call the suburbs. Not touristy at all. 

Edited by Drumbuie
  • Like 1