Chiang Mai Tourism Buzz ?

freedomnow

3 hours ago, bignok said:

I went a few times this year. So so. I liked it. Less the better. 

Me too. Having both lived and visited for many years I get both perspectives, as can many here. CM is great with or without tourists, but as a tourist, though clearly more expensive, it is more fun with high numbers. When one is living there, not so much so when numpties are posing for photos in the street etc. Mid 2022 was nice as a reboot for me visiting after so many years, all chilled but missing something. I just don't want that magnificent place going pre-covid numbers!

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

gradually getting busier but seems less so than in the past... friends w/stores have customers, but not a lot of them

Correct less tourists than in 2018, 2017, 2016 etc. However about the same as 2019, when celestial tourists did not come in force as problems with boat sinkings & airport beat downs led to bad talk on Weibo, ---- Oh, and then there was Wuhan Flu. 

Isn't it like Jazz week or something now? I think that might bring in Thai tourists but also with Loy Krathong just ending probably busy at the moment

Traffic on Canal was insane this time last year...Hopefully not as bad this year

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Me too. Having both lived and visited for many years I get both perspectives, as can many here. CM is great with or without tourists, but as a tourist, though clearly more expensive, it is more fun with high numbers. When one is living there, not so much so when numpties are posing for photos in the street etc. Mid 2022 was nice as a reboot for me visiting after so many years, all chilled but missing something. I just don't want that magnificent place going pre-covid numbers!

1. Many / the more the merrier tourists are good for the local traders. They need money to survive too.

2. Most of us who live permanently in CM have little contact with the tourists and little if anything to be concerned about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hotel rates are up by a third since the spring. Grabcab fares about the same. Eating out, at least 20% more. Christmas and the 3 weeks after it will be huge.

Nimman completely packs out on the weekends, with many Bangkok people flying up for the the EDM raves that happen every weekend out in the sticks. I went to one; it's like The Beach circa '96. All nationalities partying together, more mushrooms than MDMA.

The Chinese have been light here of late, but they were def back in force for the lantern festival. They're big ravers too.

Relatedly, a friend just got back from Pai and said the walking street was wall to wall people. In the middle of the week. Even Chiang Dao is a bit busy.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:10 PM, scorecard said:

1. Many / the more the merrier tourists are good for the local traders. They need money to survive too.

2. Most of us who live permanently in CM have little contact with the tourists and little if anything to be concerned about. 

You would think so, but:

1) more customers, more traders appear, the money per business remains the same. Example: elephant trousers stands and coffee shops that seem to mushroom everywhere.

2) I do not interact with tourists in the sense of talking to them, but I am concerned if I have to avoid certain roads or supermarkets due to their numbers. Not to mention prices and availability of domestic flights, and the number of bloody tuk-tuks/rot daeng and rental scooters on the roads.

There should be an optimum balance, November was kind of ok for me, let's see xmas.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

You would think so, but:

1) more customers, more traders appear, the money per business remains the same. Example: elephant trousers stands and coffee shops that seem to mushroom everywhere.

2) I do not interact with tourists in the sense of talking to them, but I am concerned if I have to avoid certain roads or supermarkets due to their numbers. Not to mention prices and availability of domestic flights, and the number of bloody tuk-tuks/rot daeng and rental scooters on the roads.

There should be an optimum balance, November was kind of ok for me, let's see xmas.

Suggest you're overthinking the situation. 

So what's your strategy...

Edited by scorecard

On 12/4/2023 at 9:19 AM, Prubangboy said:

Hotel rates are up by a third since the spring. Grabcab fares about the same. Eating out, at least 20% more. Christmas and the 3 weeks after it will be huge.

Nimman completely packs out on the weekends, with many Bangkok people flying up for the the EDM raves that happen every weekend out in the sticks. I went to one; it's like The Beach circa '96. All nationalities partying together, more mushrooms than MDMA.

The Chinese have been light here of late, but they were def back in force for the lantern festival. They're big ravers too.

Relatedly, a friend just got back from Pai and said the walking street was wall to wall people. In the middle of the week. Even Chiang Dao is a bit busy.

Has Nimman become the new tourist hot spot, leaving the rest of the city with fewer?