PM Charged With Breaking Law Over 6,000 Baht Gift To Paetongtarn

webfact

1 hour ago, loong said:

How ridiculous can you get.

That could hardly be considered a "hand out"! Just a gift from one person to another.

There are laws re such matters and the laws exist for good reasons.

Surprising that the PM or his minders didn't take care with this to not break any laws. 

• Agree 1

I don't care for this bloke at all but if the money was from the public coffers then I can see a problem but it wasn't. This seems rather absurd to me. Does this mean he cannot buy a birthday present for his wife for example?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

the prime minister had bought out of his own pocket a large piece of Mudmee fabric for 6,000 baht from an OTOP store in Sri Boonruang district of Nong Bualampu

We all must pay for goods purchased.

Paetongtarn, daughter of de facto Pheu Thai boss-cum-convict at large Thaksin Shinawatra

Description of her is not necessary.

7 hours ago, loong said:

How ridiculous can you get.

That could hardly be considered a "hand out"! Just a gift from one person to another.

The catch is that the gy filing is a strong man for the PPRP.  He is the one tht filed all the papers on the MFP and will continue as a watch dog to file on anything he thinks is wrong.

Better someone does that than no one does anything.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

There are laws re such matters and the laws exist for good reasons.

Surprising that the PM or his minders didn't take care with this to not break any laws. 

I agree with "No gifts, from Contractors to emp;loyers " say, 

But what is the Minimum amount that one is allowed to spend on someone's Birthday present, say,  and is there a Maximum amount also  ?

7 hours ago, Chassa said:

the prime minister had bought out of his own pocket a large piece of Mudmee fabric for 6,000 baht from an OTOP store in Sri Boonruang district of Nong Bualampu

We all must pay for goods purchased.

Paetongtarn, daughter of de facto Pheu Thai boss-cum-convict at large Thaksin Shinawatra

Description of her is not necessary.

Rules on this kind of gift should be followed though the value is of course very small.

In the catalogue of crimes committed (eg grabbing the country by force of arms) over the last 15 years it is perhaps not worth getting too hot under the collar.

Well, a former Prime Minister, Samak Sundaravej, had to clear his PM office for less. 

He participated in a cooking show on TV and was compensated with some ridiculous amount for transportation (I think it was THB 500) in connection with his appearance on TV as a hobby cook. The law stipulates, that the PM is not entitled to receive any money apart from his remuneration as PM - which sent Samak packing and he disappeared from the political stage. He was a hopeless nuisance politically and certainly an apparent crook (remember the fire engine deal for Bangkok's BMA?) but the whole dismissal was politically motivated.