typical retiree (foreign home) situation

i always kept a home in the US, it was my ultimate bolt hole, since none of us know what the future holds.

I willingly paid an agent to manage it, 10% of the rent, but they found the tenants, took care of any maintenance, all I did was collect the rental check every month.

When we moved back to the US we sold our rentals in Bangkok, and bought here.

Couple of reasons. Firstly there really isn't the same sort of total management company in Thailand, and obviously trying to deal with from thousands of miles away, even using family just wasn't going to work

Secondly, while they gave us sold rental income, there was no capital appreciation, even in central Thong Lor, too much new construction.

So we sold up, and bought rentals in the US. Yes, now I still an agent to take care of them, even though we live in the same town, but I'm lazy and can't be dealing with tenants nit pickings.

Also I have to pay property tax, but all in all they provide the same solid income as the BKK rentals, and already are proving a great capital gain

The other advantage of keeping a house at home is I'd rented it out furnished, so co-ordinated our return with the end of the tenants lease, so we got off the plane and had a house to live in, and a bed to sleep in that same day

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Very good question!

I had 4 places until last year when I sold 3. I keep one house for peace of mind "if things go south" and I need to settle down. Now I feel house is too much work and worry so I may buy an apartment.

Plus I rent two apartments in houses in different countries. Pay cash, no contracts. Has been working good, we trust each other.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reckon it depends on what you can afford. Some may say ‘I don’t like it there, sell up’ etc. Surely best to have a plan b? If you can afford it, having a place there and here is being clever. Dunno about ‘visa uncertainty’, it’s been pretty straightforward for years… imagine trying to go the other way as an immigrant! Agree with the flat idea, though. Know a guy ‘back home’ with 100+ properties (flats, houses, pubs, car parks, up to shopping precincts) and he says do flats without question. Houses etc are a pita. 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Rents are through the roof and even if you can afford it the screening is tiresome as landlords want someone in work.

Rent a studio for 600 pounds or collect 600 pounds a month yourself. A home address is useful. Easier to continue using the NHS in an emergency plus if you are claiming a state pension a UK address makes it easier to get any rises that come along. Also , property prises in the UK generally move up. They might stall from time to time but like gold , they eventually bounce back. Therefore a property is a real investment

A studio is really all you need. If the tennants trash it you only have one room to refurnish. The outside is not your problem as is taken care of in the service charge

Rent a studio WHERE for £600? ☺️
Cannot be referring to London. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you're from the UK rent it to your council. 3-5 year contract, and they will return it at the end in the same condition as at the start.

No agent taking a cut, and no messing with tenants.

interesting article in Daily Mail  this morning "Barking Mad...." may give you pause for thought.

• Agree 2