Thai restaurant owner loses 600,000 baht during family trip to France

webfact

This repport dont look geniune to me.  He combine a real stroke of very bad luck, unlikely event and a great deal of reapeted gullibility to not say stupidity.

- Your bag with your credit card got snached, and you dont think to tell your bank about it? -> stupid
- Fake policeman: this is a very serious offence in France, and doing that in the train where their have camera everywhere for try to collect fine from tourist wont get you far. -> unlikely to have happen like they said if happen at all.
- They park the car a 100 m from a tourist spot and come back from the petrol station ??? was they going to visit the tourist spot or was taking a break in the petrol station who always have is own parking? In both case anyway you never leave your value in a parked car, even less in a place where many people come and go. -> gullibility.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

also this story is all kinds of strange. 

all of these events happened to this single family on 1 holiday ? 

first - robbed on a train

second - extorted on a train

third - car broken into and subsequently robbed again

fourth - ya i don't buy this BS at all. 

aaaaaaaaand the story just happens to come out right after TAT boasts about local tourism. now i know i am a stoner and all but i am also a trained customs and immigration officer. 

this story has red flags galore. just saying.

All that quite often happens to tourists in Thailand. My advice to this family "Don't buy any lotto or raffle tickets for a while".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritScot said:

All that quite often happens to tourists in Thailand. My advice to this family "Don't buy any lotto or raffle tickets for a while".

sure on separate holidays span over a decade. all three of those events in a single holiday though ? and as another commenter pointed out impersonating an officer is a very serious crime in the west.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So he did not cancel the credit cards until after they had been used?

Surely, any normal person would cancel the card immediately after the theft.

Best to keep practical but tight daily spending limits on all cards and adjust ad hoc for the odd, rare larger purchase or withdrawal.  

• Thumbs Up 1

All very possible for those not used to travelling in foreign climes, and Thais are generally polite and obliging by default (and typically decent middle class and up folks holidaying overseas), so easy pickings for thieving scum. Paris is a bit of a hole like that and has only gotten worse with the massive influx of undesirables--no, I understand they're not all bad, but many pile in to do this kind of thing. Guess they won't be going to froggyland again for a bit.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So he did not cancel the credit cards until after they had been used?

Surely, any normal person would cancel the card immediately after the theft.

my immediate thoughts also ....  if your wallet is stolen or a bag or anything with CC's, passport or doc's .... you would call the bank, embassy and whoever straight away,   not wait until it's used or a day later.     very strange story ....   I'm calling it suspicious  ... 

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

aaaaaaaaand the story just happens to come out right after TAT boasts about local tourism. now i know i am a stoner and all but i am also a trained customs and immigration officer. 

I'm surprised that this hasn't yet happened to georgiageorgia, aka georgie porgie puddin' & pie.🙃🙃

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shuya said:

If the credit card was stolen, it will cost them nothing. If they payed 500 Euro as a fine / bribe / scam, thats 20'000 THB. Nowhere near the 600'000 THB they claim. Sounds more like a scam from their side. 

Read the article !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

Maybe.....just maybe.....and bear with me for a moment.....the whole family was stoned.

7 hours ago, stoner said:

i'm with you on this one buddy ....   just too much information.   

warning warning  !!   danger Will Robinson    !    does not compute  !!   request to fire   !!

Edited by steven100

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

From The Thaiger article:

"Thalerngsak contacted the Thai embassy for advice. The embassy spoke to the supposed police officers and informed Thalerngsak that they were not actual officers. However, fearing for the safety of his mother and aunt, he negotiated and gave them 60 euros, which he claimed was all the money he had left."

This doesn't add up at all.

It adds up if you're Thai. Thai sib story plus money equals complete scams, cheating and lies.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1