Anutin Orders Strict New Year Road Safety Measures

webfact

26 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

What a joke. It's the wild wild west out there. Instruct the police to do their jobs, hand out tickets and while you're at it, give out a few parking tickets as well. Pattaya for one is a freaking mess.

The police do their jobs, if you haven't worked it out, that's what they do! :whistling: The only people who seem to care are apologetic expats, the Thai's don't care, if they did they would drive more carefully! If you are worried about road safety, take a plane!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Acknowledging the economic and social impact of road accidents, Deputy Prime Minister Anutin urged proactive measures, emphasizing collaboration between various government agencies. The meeting, conducted through the online platform Webex, involved provincial governors, heads of disaster prevention offices, and relevant authorities across the country.

Who to date have achieved diddly Squat.

• Agree 1

In Australia the aim of Road Safety personnel & decision makers is Zero Fatalities.

Here , the aim is to try to reduce the death rate to 12 per 100,000  population. 

I wonder if Anutin, or the police/ traffic police are happy for themselves or members of their families to be part of the 12/100,000 that they are prepared to lose?

• Like 1

What a joke, there are almost just as many death in traffic in Thailand during one day as there are in a whole year in Sweden. And Thailand only has 7 times more people. This is because it is to easy to get a Thai drivers license and nobody cares in traffic. Implement Swedish traffic laws/rules and regulations and within 1 year, I can bet, that 70 % of all Thais would have lost their driver license 😂

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Strictly enforce related laws, enhance awareness, instill a sense of responsibility in society, and ensure continuous implementation.

What's the bet it will still be target a pedestrian on every crossing in Thailand. Has a single person been charged with not stopping on a crossing the year it's a 4000B fine? Of course not.

• Sad 1

Smoke and mirrors sez I..

nothing but jobs for the boys.

anutin is a master order giver, he loves it when the sheep do the barn-dance to his twisted tune. 

Cue the the yearly carnage figures in the beginning of January - these ‘strict road safety measures’ wont make a blind bit of difference…

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin emphasized the importance of safe driving under the theme "Drive Safely, Thailand Without Accidents." The objective is to prevent and reduce road accidents during the festive season.

Is ridiculosity an actual word? If not, it should be invented to describe this spectacularly insincere, and ineffective so called leader.

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a choice that results in NOT making very many terrible mistakes.

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is having the hubris to invade Russia, knowing the winter is imminent.

In many nations people drive with common sense and reason, partly because there is a deterrent. Here, neither the police, nor the highway patrol are willing to patrol the highways. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

Concise and pithy comment….

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, happysoul said:

Here we go again... And not a word about TEACHING people how to drive, just repression. Why not teach them how to properly drive first than come with repression. 

And the goal of 12 is laughable, it's Russia's 2019 average. Not appealing to me. Why not aim at 6 (about EU average) ? Thailand stood at 32.2 in 2019, first of asian countries.

My thought is that formal teaching wouldn't do much good because once they are on the road ego takes over, 'me first', road etiquette goes yo zero and rules are ignored.

Maybe he can start with a working and instructed non corrupt policeforce. Now only some places at high ways have tents, crazy drivers pass nothing happens, no helmets no problems and black smoke they don't see. Check everybody not for tax but drivers licence, alcohol test and put cameras a 500m before the checkpoints so they can be stopped and fined.  24hrs not one hour a day

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin emphasized the importance of safe driving under the theme "Drive Safely, Thailand Without Accidents." The objective is to prevent and reduce road accidents during the festive season.

Is ridiculosity an actual word? If not, it should be invented to describe this spectacularly insincere, and ineffective so called leader.

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a choice that results in NOT making very many terrible mistakes.

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is having the hubris to invade Russia, knowing the winter is imminent.

In many nations people drive with common sense and reason, partly because there is a deterrent. Here, neither the police, nor the highway patrol are willing to patrol the highways. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

I agree with much of what you say but you also need the backing of the Thai people which sadly you would not get. Many are able to drive/ride motor vehicles but it is there mental attitude to driving that's appalling. Observations are very poor. Little or no anticipation of what could develop and certainly no consideration for other road users

• Agree 1

Every day while riding my motorbike in Pattaya I see loads of moving traffic violations. Ones which if you did in England you would get pulled over for (and probably breathalyzed). If I can see them every day how come the Thai Police can't?

• Confused 1

I hereby order all thai electricians to make installations according to German standard

I hereby order make Somtam without pala and only medium spicy. 

Country changed. 

Cheers. 

Edited by mran66

Will anything change when we see adverts like this on FB .. 

'' Get a driver's license. No need to take a transportation test. We can do it all, no hassle.

Motorcycle 1,500 baht

Car 2,500 baht

Anyone who doesn't want to leave the house.

I want to get a driver's license. We make it easy. ''

What fantastic news, now i'll be able to drive on the roads, with everybody indicating their intention to change lanes, no more tailgating, no one cutting in between you and the truck you are overtaking filling your safe space, and no more driving on the wrong side, no more looking at phones, no more blocking lanes at U turns, no more overtaking on blind bends, the highway police will stop all that, great, init. :cheesy::unsure::unsure::cheesy:.

They can't drive sober yet alone drunk!

Edited by brianthainess

Thank Heavens!

Now we are all saf.......

.....SPLAT!

• Like 1

For a country that has such bad drink driving stats I am surprised there isn’t a big campaign to get those that will be driving to maybe switch to non alcoholic beers.  In Europe literally every brand of beer now has an equivalent “0” version. Stella is my favourite . Here we got Heineken or Budweiser which are both awful.