Who remembers Mr Ed, F Troop, Daniel Boone, Batman, Get Smart and more ....

steven100

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Rod Taylor on the cusp of stardom in 1960. Hong Kong. TV series.

Rod was great. Loved his movies, but my favourite is A Gathering of Eagles. I have the DVD somewhere, must watch it again.

Danger Man was definitely my favourite McGoohan series, but he sort of lost me with The Prisoner.

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

As soon as I got home from school I'd be stuck at the television for hours watching F Troop, Batman,  Lost in Space, Mr Ed, Gilligan's Island,  The Beverly Hillbilies, The three stooges and a few others ....

My favorite's were Lost in Space, Get Smart and The three stooges .....  I liked Batman also ....               

The American's were pretty good at slapstick comedy ...

Does anyone else remember those TV shows and what were your favorites   ?   

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Rural humour

The Andy Griffith Show

"The following week, on Oct. 3, 1960, The Andy Griffith Show (CBS, 1960–68) had its delayed premiere and was an immediate ratings success. During its entire run of eight seasons, the show ranked in the top 10 of the Nielsen ratings, leaving the air in 1968 as the highest-rated program on television. It also inspired two spin-offs, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. (CBS, 1964–69) and Mayberry R.F.D. (CBS, 1968–71), both of which were also top-10 hits. The rural situation comedy had its foundation in a long American tradition of hayseed humour."

https://www.britannica.com/art/television-in-the-United-States/Rural-humour

I was never much of a fan of the rural / hayseed humor shows....  But, I also grew up in city areas, not out in the sticks. No "awe shucks" folks around in my youth.

Wherever you go for the rest of your life you must prove you're a man.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rod was great. Loved his movies, but my favourite is A Gathering of Eagles. I have the DVD somewhere, must watch it again.

Danger Man was definitely my favourite McGoohan series, but he sort of lost me with The Prisoner.

Rod Taylor always had an aura of danger around him. He went from Hong Kong directly to The Time Machine and then a couple of years later, The Birds. BTW, the entire one year series of Hong Kong is available on the Internet Archive.

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

sorry Peabody,   I've never heard of any of those shows.

where were they made ....  and what year did you watch them ?

USA shows, mostly '50s.

Soupy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKw651RQvMg&ab_channel=amscentra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43zAbwtiaI&ab_channel=DeanMason
Captain Kangaroohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soz_E3jXXhY&ab_channel=SMUJonesFilm-FilmandVideoCollections
Sherri Lewishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BVVYnmcVUE&ab_channel=MoviecraftInc.
Baron Barracuda (from Diver Dan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBT0fie2Huw&ab_channel=SECRETMOVIES
Andy's Gang (Plunk your magic twanger, froggy @ 19:55): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=721PZ9nGheo&ab_channel=tvdays

Sandy Beckerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqoqUwg1fY&ab_channel=sandysoup
Sonny Foxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kt-SzifHeY&ab_channel=SonnyFoxTV

Really old guys (70s) will remember late 50s shows like Sgt. Bilko and the slew of Warner Brothers westerns like Maverick, Sugarfoot and Cheyenne.

Not to mention Leave It To Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet-the original middle class, family comedies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LALes said:

Really old guys (70s) will remember late 50s shows like Sgt. Bilko and the slew of Warner Brothers westerns like Maverick, Sugarfoot and Cheyenne.

Not to mention Leave It To Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet-the original middle class, family comedies.

Hopalong Cassidy had two guns - by far the best.  The Lone Ranger only had one.

image.png.986f142df67210e398be775949fdf2a3.pngimage.png.01c327d1682838c1c4e85b6c060105ef.png

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, best and most memorable Rod Taylor performance for me is Dark of the Sun.  Curry (Taylor) to Henlein: "Put your swastika back on. You've earned it."

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

As soon as I got home from school I'd be stuck at the television for hours watching F Troop, Batman,  Lost in Space, Mr Ed, Gilligan's Island,  The Beverly Hillbilies, The three stooges and a few others ....

My favorite's were Lost in Space, Get Smart and The three stooges .....  I liked Batman also ....               

The American's were pretty good at slapstick comedy ...

Does anyone else remember those TV shows and what were your favorites   ?   

Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, That Girl, Star Trek... all rerun gold!

Edited by Sheist
  • Like 1

"Car 54 where are you?"

One of the first episodes Francis asks Gunther can he go fishing.

Gunther asks his wife if he can go.

She goes on a rant, "If you don't care about your poor wife ... blah blah blah... then yes you can go."

Gunther gets back on the phone: "It's ok Francis, she says I can go."

Beverly Hillbillies as well.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Get Smart! The original....

Screenshot_5.jpg.e736dcb7d7cd702e30198cd33de9f403.jpg   

Screenshot_6.jpg.73f094fee7454a10e3df89d55ddb79f9.jpg

Don Adams, Barbara Feldon, Edward Platt

And, re Gilligan's Island, MaryAnne or Ginger?

Screenshot_7.jpg.905a16ec906c8849c4890ff044d00bd1.jpg

Dawn Wells, Bob Denver, Tina Louise

and don't forget, McHale's Navy! Again, original....

Screenshot_8.jpg.b151afff1471351c939f038ccb6de80c.jpg

Ernest Borgnine, Tim Conway, Joe Flynn

Sukiyaki under water...

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think one of the earliest memories I have of watching TV as a child was the Daniel Boone western TV series with Fess Parker, which started in 1964 and ran thru 1970 on NBC. And had a catchy theme song as well, though this early version below isn't the one I remember from my "yooth"

This second, later version is the one I remember, starting at the 1:01 minute point:

"Daniel Boone was a man. Yes a BIG man..."

I remember both themes

Going back even further, what about The Buccaneers one of Robert Shaw's first appearance as captain Dan Tempest. The we have Robin Hood with Richard Green as Robin Archie Duncan as Little John and Alexander Gauge as Friar Tuck. Also famous for his Walls pork sausage  commercials.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LALes said:

just because we're in our 70's doesn't make us really old. It just means that we've had more life experience than those that are younger than us.

Nobody's mentioned the Mickey Mouse Club. Never missed it after school. Also Lawman, Tales of the Texas Rangers, The Rifleman, Circus Boy (with Micky Dolenz from The Monkeys as Corky), I Love Lucy, There's too many to mention that haven't already been mentioned, mainly because I'm having trouble recalling their names. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Started out with B&W when I was just a wee nipper...and then transitioned to color as I was growing up.

I was maybe 10 years old the first time I saw a colored TV.  In an Officer's Club on a SAC base (with a thermo-nuclear bull's-eye on it) before the Cuban Missile fiasco during Sunday Night Bingo.  The O-Club bought a color TV for the lounge and I remember when NBC rolled out Walt Disney's The Wonderful World of Color.  I was pretty amazed and I can remember it clear-as-a-bell some 60 years later.

Yeah - I'm glad I was born when I was born.  The eve of technological wonders.  Yet?  My parents rationed TV.  I was urged to "go outside and play" which I did - a lot- as well as read.  Back in the day an age where there was only 3 major TV producers and a handful of local stations, all picked up with various antennae arrays on the roof of your house and on the TV set itself.  "Modern" was having the roof antennae controlled with servo-motors so you could adjust the antennae angle to pick up the best signal.  "The Internet" was a DARPA dream-project back then. 

Those were the days!

• Like 1

Although I really enjoyed most shows when they were current and I was young, I've revisited a few of them and they are utter crap. 

Knight Rider
The A-Team
CHiPs 
Magnum PI
Miami Vice
etc etc 

It basically reinforces my opinion that old things are rubbish.

• Sad 1