Pattaya City Leaders Say They Will Seriously Tackle PM2.5 Dust Issue

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya —Pattaya Deputy Mayor Manote Nongyai convened a meeting yesterday at City Hall to address concerns surrounding the PM2.5 dust levels.

Joining him were the head of the Pattaya Environmental Office, Mr. Sanya Tubtimsri and other relevant officials.

According to Manote, the average PM 2.5 levels reported in Pattaya still fall within the orange or yellow category, which indicate moderate air quality.

He clarified that the actual PM2.5 dust concentration is measured at 40 micrograms per cubic meter, which contradicts early reports spread by certain media outlets that the concentration is as high as 160 micrograms, which suggested a severe negative health effect.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-12-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

He clarified that the actual PM2.5 dust concentration is measured at 40 micrograms per cubic meter, which contradicts early reports spread by certain media outlets that the concentration is as high as 160 micrograms, which suggested a severe negative health effect.

...sorry, i don't understand  deputy manote's clarification...maybe because i'm not a politician

The air quality has been much better so far this cool season than it has for years. There seems to be a lot less burning going on than in the past, even in Pattaya I haven't noticed the usual suspects starting to burn all their garden rubbish as soon as the rainy season ends. Are they finally starting to enforce the rules on burning garden and agricultural waste?

4 hours ago, smedly said:

what causes the dust, I have a theory it could be due to the use of unbinded concrete on most of the roads, it is not properly mixed, not sure emmision from vehicles has much to do with it, if I leave a window open for a few days there is fine layor of dust gathers on surfaces

Absolutely correct, I sense most of the dust is from construction sites, old crumbling buildings,and concrete structures.

The fine particulate dust is everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

my god shut the f up already. ive had a headache and runny nose since coming back from phuket last week. this place is pathetic disgusting putrid.....bkk

shame on all officials in the region for allowing this crime against humanity to continue. and shame on the rest of the world for sitting idle and doing nothing.

direct deaths due to pollution every year in thailand - approx 30 000

but put that surgical mask back on and keep feeling that false sense of security and safety while you your family and culture slowly die. pm will be a huge part of tourism decline here as well. 

hey hunny lets go to the beach enjoy the day. did you pack the hazmat suit ?

90% off all that dust, smoke, and pollution is coming up from Indonesia,Malaysia, and Myanmar.

True, Thailand contributes to the mess, but it's a South East Asia problem and has been for 30 years. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

got a source for that please id like to read about it. 

"Fires in Indonesia (particularly South Sumatra and Riau in Sumatra, and Kalimantan in Borneo), and to a lesser extent in Malaysia and Thailand, have been identified as sources."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asian_haze

"most fire aerosols come from Sumatra and Borneo."

https://www.globalasia.org/v14no4/cover/tackling-southeast-asias-air-pollution_moekti-h-soejachmoen

18 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"Fires in Indonesia (particularly South Sumatra and Riau in Sumatra, and Kalimantan in Borneo), and to a lesser extent in Malaysia and Thailand, have been identified as sources."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asian_haze

"most fire aerosols come from Sumatra and Borneo."

https://www.globalasia.org/v14no4/cover/tackling-southeast-asias-air-pollution_moekti-h-soejachmoen

i just don't see where it says that in regards to thailand. 

from the second link...

Another study also emphasized the contribution of local pollution to air quality in major cities in Southeast Asia. Their results showed that biomass burning in the region only contributed 39 percent, 36 percent and 34 percent of the low-visibility (<10km) days in, respectively, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore from 2003 to 2014. In attributing the low-visibility events to fire emissions from different sites, the study found that mainland Southeast Asia is the major contributor during the northeast or winter monsoon season in the region, while in the southwest or summer monsoon season, most fire aerosols come from Sumatra and Borneo.

and from wiki ...

Fires in Indonesia (particularly South Sumatra and Riau in Sumatra, and Kalimantan in Borneo), and to a lesser extent in Malaysia and Thailand, have been identified as sources. The haze regularly has a major impact on air quality in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam; to a lesser extent and in particularly severe years, it also impacts the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and countries outside the region.[3]

the fires to a lesser extent effect thailand during severe years. 

it also mentions that thailand as a source of the fires as well. which would play a huge role in the local issue. 

Edited by stoner

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

i just don't see where it says that in regards to thailand. 

from the second link...

Another study also emphasized the contribution of local pollution to air quality in major cities in Southeast Asia. Their results showed that biomass burning in the region only contributed 39 percent, 36 percent and 34 percent of the low-visibility (<10km) days in, respectively, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore from 2003 to 2014. In attributing the low-visibility events to fire emissions from different sites, the study found that mainland Southeast Asia is the major contributor during the northeast or winter monsoon season in the region, while in the southwest or summer monsoon season, most fire aerosols come from Sumatra and Borneo.

and from wiki ...

Fires in Indonesia (particularly South Sumatra and Riau in Sumatra, and Kalimantan in Borneo), and to a lesser extent in Malaysia and Thailand, have been identified as sources. The haze regularly has a major impact on air quality in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam; to a lesser extent and in particularly severe years, it also impacts the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and countries outside the region.[3]

the fires to a lesser extent effect thailand during severe years. 

where is also mentions that thailand as a source of the fires as well. which would play a huge role in the local issue. 

The burning of crops, garbage, etc is horrendous.   The pollutants it creates knows no borders.  

Bangkok is usually going to be polluted like any big metropolis in Asia. 

Nothing is going to change.  To much money to be made and to expensive to do things properly. 

Here a good website to see which direction the pollutants are blowing.

https://www.windy.com/?6.929,99.871,5

13 hours ago, smedly said:

what causes the dust, I have a theory it could be due to the use of unbinded concrete on most of the roads, it is not properly mixed, not sure emmision from vehicles has much to do with it, if I leave a window open for a few days there is fine layor of dust gathers on surfaces

I have been following the news and the levels of PM 2.5 maps etc but I haven't seen any explanation for the dust either.

Your theory about the unbinded concrete certainly is plausable Smedly. Crop burn offs, vehicle polution, rubbish fires, and God knows what else must all contribute but why does it all of a suudden come to a head with the whole country being affected? I am certainly no scientist so am very open to any learned opinions.

1 minute ago, V8M8 said:

I have been following the news and the levels of PM 2.5 maps etc but I haven't seen any explanation for the dust either.

Your theory about the unbinded concrete certainly is plausable Smedly. Crop burn offs, vehicle polution, rubbish fires, and God knows what else must all contribute but why does it all of a suudden come to a head with the whole country being affected? I am certainly no scientist so am very open to any learned opinions.

Ok, forget I said that. I had missed some earlier posts about polution sources. Thanks to those posters for that info.

18 hours ago, carumego said:

what about noise pollution specially on jomtien beach . People fire firecrackers all nite and we cannot sleep

This is very easy to stop catching and fining some guys but nothing is done 

Imagine what they can do about pollution

Be optimistic, it scares the dogs away!