Will your foreign wife be able to join you in UK?

kwilco

21 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

She could get a 6 month visitors visa. Then?

No apparently there are people already  living in the UK where the spouses  or children may have to be separated.

Cleverly brought this law in under the cover of other anti-immigration laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/10/james-cleverly-anti-immigration-policy-foreign-wife-tories-stewart-lee

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not necessary to bring any money.

Just make sure you/she arrives in the appropriate way.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz6LdkEz5Gj91FBEY5IoV

so if it was a Thai wife, she's not a refugee so would be refused admission. and sent back to Thailand

Well, couple of thoughts.

Firstly I'm American, so it doesn't affect me, but it's kinda made me feel somewhat more kindly towards USCIS!

But on a serious note I'm assuming this shuts down any hope of most UK retirees in Thailand ever taking a family back to the UK, should circumstances ever make them need to repatriate?

18 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, couple of thoughts.

Firstly I'm American, so it doesn't affect me, but it's kinda made me feel somewhat more kindly towards USCIS!

But on a serious note I'm assuming this shuts down any hope of most UK retirees in Thailand ever taking a family back to the UK, should circumstances ever make them need to repatriate?

Depending on income, yes.

THere is one situation that comes to mind - an elderly Brit on enough pension to qualify to live in Thailand might need to return to UK for health reasons (cost of treatment in Thailand being very high) he would than have to stay and die in UK alone.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

THere is one situation that comes to mind - an elderly Brit on enough pension to qualify to live in Thailand might need to return to UK for health reasons (cost of treatment in Thailand being very high) he would than have to stay and die in UK alone.

I must admit that was the unfortunate scenario that was going through my mind

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

Have you seen the changes being brought in this during?

You will need an i come of nearly £40k if you want your douse to join you in the UK.

Check out this measure introduced by R.H. Cleverly, MP

You have until spring before price rise.

Sell up now and set yourself up in Russia, UK and the rest of the West is knackered, kaput, stuffed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

You have until spring before price rise.

Sell up now and set yourself up in Russia, UK and the rest of the West is knackered, kaput, stuffed.

Basically any application now is likely to be refused or delayed.

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I must admit that was the unfortunate scenario that was going through my mind

Anyone who genuinely falls in love with a foreigner will be unable to bring them home unless they are above the national averae wage - that means that  about 73% of the UK population don't qualify - notably retirees and pensioners.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

It has become less and less valuable n

being a British citizen in Thailand since Brexit - there is now virtually no reason for a Thai person to marry a Brit.

can blame only 1 person (will give you a hint 555).....   BJ

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

can blame only 1 person (will give you a hint 555).....   BJ

BJ - led a single issue government of the hard right which has proved incompetent at every turn. Single issue governments are notoriously inept and running countries.

I'm not sure, but the UK government might be the first anywhere to deny residency to its own citizens, UK passport holders, unless they divorce or separate from their wife. I wonder which law firm will be the first to gather such victims and take the case to the Court Of Human Rights.

EDIT: I see that it's happened. Inevitable.

Reunite Families, a support and campaign organisation for people affected by immigration rules, has instructed the law firm Leigh Day to explore legal avenues to challenge the changes announced on 4 December by the home secretary

What is needed is a clause that removes UK passport holders from the ruling. It's not actually aimed at them but at Mt Patel bringing half his village from India, but Brits have been caught up in it. I guess it's not only Thailand that doesn't think things through.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:32 AM, kwilco said:

It has become less and less valuable n

being a British citizen in Thailand since Brexit - there is now virtually no reason for a Thai person to marry a Brit.

Yeah, UK should never have left the EU. Just curious, what was the reasons before?

Brilliant thinking. Polls show high immigration numbers are a major concern and an election next year. illegal immigration is costly and getting all the headlines, so what do we do? 

Make it more difficult for the spouses of British citizens who apply to LEGALLY enter. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not sure, but the UK government might be the first anywhere to deny residency to its own citizens, UK passport holders, unless they divorce or separate from their wife. I wonder which law firm will be the first to gather such victims and take the case to the Court Of Human Rights.

EDIT: I see that it's happened. Inevitable.

Reunite Families, a support and campaign organisation for people affected by immigration rules, has instructed the law firm Leigh Day to explore legal avenues to challenge the changes announced on 4 December by the home secretary

What is needed is a clause that removes UK passport holders from the ruling. It's not actually aimed at them but at Mt Patel bringing half his village from India, but Brits have been caught up in it. I guess it's not only Thailand that doesn't think things through.

Reminds one of the Indian chap went to Hounslow Underground Station asked for a ticket to Bombay Central Station. Ticket seller says "sorry mate I can only sell you a ticket to Heathrow Airport - go find the Air India desk and they will sell you a ticket to Bombay then make your way from there"... Indian chap says "that's very bad service - when I came over from India I asked for a ticket to Hounslow and the ticket seller said - certainly sir will that be Hounslow East, Hounslow West or Hounslow Central"

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2023 at 6:25 AM, kwilco said:

Cleverly brought this law in under the cover of other anti-immigration laws.

The law was introduced by Theresa may in 2012. It was set at a level, £18,600 , so it would remove the ability to claim benefits. The government had no embarrassment in effectively telling those on a state pension they needed to be claiming benefits.

Fast forward to 2023 and selective Tory memory prevails and in the failing fight against "illegals" family members of British citizens have now become a target.

And this forum thinks they are hard done by.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:51 AM, kwilco said:

Quite. The pensions increases this year would have brought my uprated pension to a level just over the current threshold, opening the door if necessary to a spouse visa.

Looks like the door has been slammed shut and locked.

• Thumbs Up 1

I realise it won't help everyone but the alternative is if the Brit has enough savings to show in support of the foreigner's visa application. Then income doesn't matter.

I don't have the figures to hand but I presume the amount has increased along with the required income amount.  

Edited by VBF