What are most Russians doing here and how are they financing themselves?

bob smith

On 12/20/2023 at 7:32 AM, bob smith said:

I see many russian families in my project these days,

they seem to be here for months on end

kinda got me thinking.

what are the vast majority of them doing here?

how are they supporting themselves and their families without working?

how long are they going to stay here?

they make lots of noise, especially late at night,

their kids are the worst, shouting and screaming till all hours.

they leave trash everywhere,

i've witnessed their kids spitting on the floor numerous times.

will they ever go home?

why dont they just go back to russia, put on their army uniforms and face the music.

they started the war after all,

best go back home now and fight it imo.

bob.

Mind your own business, Schmok.......

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Despite what you read on Asean Now, not everybody is poor--and that includes Russians.  The fact that they had the means to get to Thailand likely puts a lot of them in the upper class.   Thailand is inexpensive so many can afford to live here for extended periods.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Despite what you read on Asean Now, not everybody is poor--and that includes Russians.  The fact that they had the means to get to Thailand likely puts a lot of them in the upper class.   Thailand is inexpensive so many can afford to live here for extended periods.

I tell you more, all putins gang, his friends, his circle, members of russian parliament, speakers, members of parliaments, mayors of russian cities, businesses that feed putin, they all have properties in so hated West, their children go to western schools, study at their universities, many of them even have western citizenship. Those who do not need to work in russia

already live abroad, supporting putin from there. Yes there russians with money but how many retired rissians can afford if most of them get about 100 -200 usd per month from the government.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Can Russians get a 30 day extension after the 90 days? I've seen quite a number of Ruskies at Jomtien Immigration, so I'm guessint so???

after 60 days they have an extension for 30 days and can do unlimited border runs unlike other countries and get each time 90 days

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

But you didn't take those photos.

They are the work of Ilya Varlamov, who paid the price for showing the world the true glory of Putins Russia:

"On 23 May 2023, he was declared a "foreign agent" by the Ministry of Justice of Russia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Varlamov

Looks like he got out

https://www.instagram.com/ilyavrlmv/?hl=en

no my friend, videos of Varlamov are even scarier, Varlamov is pro-government guy, just they keep him to show that democracy in russia still exists. Or he would be arrested a long time ago. those pictures from russian websites, you cand find thousands of them just using google maps. 

19 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Good question, how do they manage to stay for so long? The average salary in Russia is only $14500 not exactly enough to allow you to continually party and buy houses and apartments. Whatever it is they dont seem to run short of money.

My friend it is 21 century now!!! Those who have this salary do not stay long, the young generation works online, even if the work for russian company online it is quite good money for life in Thailand, most of those under 50 get student visas around 50 000 per year and enjoy life, many work for western companies online, many offer their services online. Many work secretly from home, selling online russian food, beautician services,some overstay and live on the beach and so on. I did not mention opening businesses, working in the travel industry legally and illegally 

26 minutes ago, anandra said:

no, my friend is one of the examples, he cannot even conjugate the verb to be, but has been successfully teaching English in Bangkok schools for 2 years

No wonder the english levels in Thailand are so abysmal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, anandra said:

My friend it is 21 century now!!! Those who have this salary do not stay long, the young generation works online, even if the work for russian company online it is quite good money for life in Thailand, most of those under 50 get student visas around 50 000 per year and enjoy life, many work for western companies online, many offer their services online. Many work secretly from home, selling online russian food, beautician services,some overstay and live on the beach and so on. I did not mention opening businesses, working in the travel industry legally and illegally 

I am quoting from the Russian database. The ones who have the real money are not employed in the day to day jobs

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Only 5%? Did you conduct the survey yourself or did you read this statistic in some august journal? Either way, please provide empirical evidence to this claim.

Why don't I mention what I see on Russian TV? Because I don't watch it. However as Russian TV is used as a propaganda tool for the Putin regime, it can hardly be considered as objective evidence of a general sentiment. 

As for the rest of your incoherent and badly composed rant, it would seem that it is you who is only a few bottles away from falling off the metaphorical high horse upon which you are currently sitting. 

Quite the rant isn't it with a poor grasp of capitalization - the only thing missing is green ink.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

''What do russians do to finance themselves'' - You might as well ask what any human does to finance themselves? One can almost be 98% certain that a question like this comes from an American at all times lol.

May I ask why you find this a certainty?

6 hours ago, NedR69 said:

I wonder the same for UK and/or EU that come here for 60-90 days each year.  How do you support yourself and how do you leave your work back home for 2 or 3 months?

Offshore guys could swing it. I did a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

'One can almost be 98% certain that a question like this comes from an American at all times lol.

There is a trope here that Americans ONLY want to talk about money and how much they have.

And that they will not shut up about how cheap healthcare is here (OK, that part is true).

Excuse me, I have to go and prevent a German from hogging a sun bed.

On 12/20/2023 at 12:30 PM, freeworld said:

Haha yahoo news posts almost 100% anti russian news. It seems to be the mouthpiece of that news source the ''New Voice of Ukraine''

of course, the majority of the people are anti fascist, anti fascist is equal to anti russian

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Only 5%? Did you conduct the survey yourself or did you read this statistic in some august journal? Either way, please provide empirical evidence to this claim.

Why don't I mention what I see on Russian TV? Because I don't watch it. However as Russian TV is used as a propaganda tool for the Putin regime, it can hardly be considered as objective evidence of a general sentiment. 

As for the rest of your incoherent and badly composed rant, it would seem that it is you who is only a few bottles away from falling off the metaphorical high horse upon which you are currently sitting. 

you behave exactly like ruski alcoholic, how many russians have you met here in Thailand?, since 2013 I met thousands,  especially in Pattaya, 90% of them are heavy drinkers and weed smokers, so no any Sheakspeare, one of my russian friends who worked as a guide in Sanctuary of Truth, now lives in Jomtien beach, no passport, no money, nothing. Another one who worked as a russian guide for a boat company trips in Pttaya, while being drunk lost the key from his room, and decided to climb the balcony, reaching the third floor he felll down, but survived. During covid, he had to leave Thailand due to lack of work. Just a few weeks ago we had news he was murdered in russia during drinking party with his co-workers. As to 5%, 5% of the population is more than 5 000 0000 people, if they went out against fascist putins regime, not any police or army would have stopped them. But as you see they support everything their dictator is doing, or just do not care. Like population of nazi Germany

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

''What do russians do to finance themselves'' - You might as well ask what any human does to finance themselves? One can almost be 98% certain that a question like this comes from an American at all times lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anandra said:

of course, the majority of the people are anti fascist, anti fascist is equal to anti russian

Rubbish, did you pick that reply out of a trash can.

Europe and the USA...there lies the danger of fascists trying to rule the world with their so called "world order"

Edited by freeworld
  • Sad 1

Russia is very rich!

"Russia holds the largest natural gas reserves in the world"

Angela Merkel was in bed with Putin to get near free gas and oil.

And many more, like Hungary, still are cozy with Putin.

Putin doesn't give a damn how many dies in the war.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 2:38 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Wasn't there an article quoted here a couple weeks ago about Thai people complaining that some Russians worked as taxi drivers and barbers for their compatriots on Phuket?

They do, I’ve seen it myself. Do the travel agencies they have popping up all have licenses? Don’t know. They bought lots of cheap condos in the past 10 years, then rent them out to Russian acquaintances/ tourists. Probably villas too. Then they taxi them about, same system. I’ve been to a Russian owned , seemingly Thai massage , and the girl told me it was a Russian boss. They have restaurants too, look top of Jomtien , Russian market/ food etc and a whole load of condos . They probably have all sorts of  professions on hand, plumbers etc. They seem to live cheaply, I moved away, but one condo I was in, the whole ground floor were Russians studios. And they were cooking what smells like cabbage soup all day,  horrendous. Loud Russian music at the pool, screaming kids , I moved after a few months. I’ve heard walking street also has Russian girl bars. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1